IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

The UK Government are reportedly increasing the age groups to get the covid boosters, along with bring forward the gap from 5 to 6 months. I enquired about the latter and was advised that DHSC/Manx Care have no plans to lower the gap. What I can see happening is either the airport being used as a vaccination hub again, at greater expense to the taxpayers or another facility with nearby parking being created, again at great expense to the taxpayers. 

If the JCVI do decide it’s time to bring boosters forward, then we will almost certainly follow.

You do have to wonder about the ethics of boosters here vs doses elsewhere. Allegedly, there is a lot of vaccine hesitancy causing the lack of uptake rather than a lack of supply in South Africa. But that’s countered by the claim that a lot of poorer people can’t actually get to the clinics or take the time off work. 

https://www.ft.com/content/b6a964fc-69c7-4247-9d06-0c7d3de11420

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So some Omicron cases in Scotland are not travel related, ergo it's circulating in the community. It's probably been in in the community for a long time hence the still high levels of cases across the UK.

Late September / early October was suggested in the Science article shared yesterday for when omicron came into circulation.

I guess it started flying to international destinations quite soon after. 

Edited by 747-400

12 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t particularly follow social media. As I said I was out in my car going work this morning and the roads were very quiet for a Monday. It was an observation based on real life that it seems to be very quiet. 

Bit of a leap to a conclusion based on one drive, no?

• Like 1

So we’re in London right now and will come back after the 4am deadline tomorrow. Being the ever well prepared German I wanted to get the LFTs we need from here already so we can do it straight after arrival in IOM. Last time we did this was in Liverpool and we just walked into a Boots pharmacy and picked some up with no paperwork or anything. 

Tried the same here and you now need to visit a website to get some code to collect an LFT in the pharmacy. Nice idea except the website is down and dialling 119 from a Manx mobile gives invalid number message. Congratulations to all involved. I feel like the government has this all under control. 

2D3EF28C-79F2-4D73-87CD-9F222425A361.jpeg

2E503217-21AA-462D-8DE2-F9F48DAC7BA5.png

C33F914B-696D-442B-A3F1-78EBC1633D27.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

So we’re in London right now and will come back after the 4am deadline tomorrow. Being the ever well prepared German I wanted to get the LFTs we need from here already so we can do it straight after arrival in IOM. Last time we did this was in Liverpool and we just walked into a Boots pharmacy and picked some up with no paperwork or anything. 

Tried the same here and you now need to visit a website to get some code to collect an LFT in the pharmacy. Nice idea except the website is down and dialling 119 from a Manx mobile gives invalid number message. Congratulations to all involved. I feel like the government has this all under control. 

2D3EF28C-79F2-4D73-87CD-9F222425A361.jpeg

2E503217-21AA-462D-8DE2-F9F48DAC7BA5.png

Lawrie Hooper was on radio this morning saying they hope to have them available at ports on arrival but when wasn’t clear.

Same as Pcr tests no information available on cost, booking etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t see why. If it normally takes me 20 minutes to get to work on a Monday and it took me 10 mins max this morning then it was noticeably quieter. It was an observation. I hope it isn’t a load of people panicking and finding excuses to work from home after the ridiculous scare tactics deployed by the media this weekend.

People who can work from home probably should regardless of any pandemic. Good for everyone else's travel times.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

And here too perhaps?

I'd put a cautious bet on that.  Wouldn't suprise me if it might be behind the spike that seems to be happening from last week. 

Although, there is still no evidence that is more contagious - just likely considering the mutations.  Or if it is more dangerous - reports from SA medics suggest at the moment it might be milder.

I'd put a bigger bet on it's more contagious but less dangerous.  It's generally how diseases/viruses evolve.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

According to that nice Dr Rachel Glover some LFT's are simply not fit for purpose.

Have to say that having tried to alienate her, as it seemed to me, it's a bit of a tricky position.

Interesting times...