IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Lunchtime in M&S I would say well over 50% wearing masks.

In Tesco much less so.

So clearly legislation is the only way forward.

Once again solid data on Omicron is required to wit:

Is it more transmissable than the current prevalent Delta variant?

What is the efficacy of our current vaccines against it?

What effect will it have on the numbers of hospitalised and fatalities?

Until these things are known the only sensible course of action is to take simple precautions like face coverings, testing at borders etc to slow the spread and give science the time they need to come up with answers...

Might as well just do all that forever then because there will ALWAYS be new variants cropping up.

It is here anyway, so not worth worrying about.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No.  I think it is insane, and I am particularly put out for friends and family who work in or in some cases own hospitality businesses that will take a totally unnecessary financial hit.

I am simply pointing out that when places started cancelling this morning, the usual suspects assumed I was making it up.

Stopped clock, twice a day, an'that... 

I was reading some of the Twitter responses to Alfs briefing yesterday. One particular post had a lot of anti-Vax types orchestrated in the belief that the vaccines are somehow reducing our immune systems rather than our bodies naturally learning to fight the virus off.

They have come along way from chips in the arms and spoons sticking to peoples arms. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

I was reading some of the Twitter responses to Alfs briefing yesterday. One particular post had a lot of anti-Vax types orchestrated in the belief that the vaccines are somehow reducing our immune systems rather than our bodies naturally learning to fight the virus off.

They have come along way from chips in the arms and spoons sticking to peoples arms. 

There's still a lot of crossover.

The big claim is that the vaccine is killing people off with strokes and heart complaints. But quite often, the peddlers of these claims also tell us the Earth is flat still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Might as well just do all that forever then because there will ALWAYS be new variants cropping up.

It is here anyway, so not worth worrying about.

That may well be the future.

Personally I worry about family and friends catching covid by stupidly ignoring the basic, simple things that help mitigation.

After all, the hospitals are dealing with a lot of covid patients who stupidly didn't get vaccinated....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

They’ll have to look at turning on the magic money tree again for the hospitality sector I’d guess if this situation goes on. It’s likely to knock a lot of confidence off Xmas bookings just when most places really needed the trade. 

I don't think so. The difference is that during lockdowns they were closed. If a company cancels a booking, they let se their deposit. Money has been paid in most cases. On top of this people will still go out and party. It is Christmas. 

13 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

If you wear a mask and still catch it - is that an immaculate infection?

Wearing a mask is to protect others, that is its main point of their use.

Like a surgeon wears one to stop spreading their breath/ germs all over a patient they have cut open, not to stop themselves getting a bug from the patient.

The type of mask that protects you from others bugs is not what is generally worn in public or what surgeons wear

I really struggle to see why people cant understand this?

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1