IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

57 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I was in Ramsey coop half an hour ago.

Some staff were wearing masks, not a single customer.

Mitre - no one 

George - no one (it was closed though)

Traf - no one.

Probably become mandatory if the anti every mitigation movement refuses to comply with voluntary measures.

Masks are mandatory in most European countries, all UK and Guernsey with just IOM & Jersey being strongly recommended 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Danoo said:

This is my whole point. Once the absolute futility of wiping down shopping trolley handles was realised, people still continued to do it without thinking. Christ, people still do it to this present day in Tesco's and Shoprite. It's like watching a real life version of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, seeing frontal lobotomised drones queueing one after the other to disinfect a shopping basket before doing a shop.  

I don't think I've seen anyone do it in Shoprite. Mind you, those that do might be imagining that the previous user doesn't wash their hands after a shit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Probably become mandatory if the anti every mitigation movement refuses to comply with voluntary measures.

Masks are mandatory in most European countries, all UK and Guernsey with just IOM & Jersey being strongly recommended 

So our death rate must be many multiples of the places that make it mandatory then?

Look at England and Scotland over the last six months.  How much difference did the Scots wearing masks make?

Ps.  Another event I was due to attend this week has been cancelled 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Which has been the case since time began.  Shit is everywhere, on everything you touch

Generally, as history has progressed, we’ve gotten cleaner and a lot of the shit bourne diseases have decreased as a result. 

How many parasites does the average westerner have now? Not much cholera or typhoid about either. More impoverished areas can’t necessarily say the same. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Danoo said:

This is my whole point. Once the absolute futility of wiping down shopping trolley handles was realised, people still continued to do it without thinking. Christ, people still do it to this present day in Tesco's and Shoprite. It's like watching a real life version of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, seeing frontal lobotomised drones queueing one after the other to disinfect a shopping basket before doing a shop.  

It may be futile. But if it doesn’t do any harm and gives them comfort, let the shopping trolley handle cleaners get on with it.

Whats the problem?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Ps.  Another event I was due to attend this week has been cancelled

Well I guess they will cancel if they can’t rely on people like you to take sensible mitigation , none of my events cancelled 😀

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

It may be futile. But if it doesn’t do any harm and gives them comfort, let the shopping trolley handler cleaners get on with it.

Whats the problem?

I would agree with you there. It’s giving people a feeling of agency over a situation they really don’t have much control over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

You don't catch illness from the the handles of a shopping basket either but that hasn't stopped people wiping them down religiously with wet wipes, hand gel and paper towels for the past 18 months. Still, have to be seen to be doing something I suppose. 

Yes you do. have you a degree in Microbiology like I do

• Like 4

There is some evidence that masks do help - as do the other public health measures. (  see BMJ “Public Health Measures for Covid “ systemic review and meta analysis  20 Nov 2021 pp 314-315) 

Though the article does say there has’t been a lot to evaluate the effects  of “public health measures”- masks , social distancing -and hand washing, they do seem to be significantly effective, remarking “ The hand washing finding is somewhat surprising, and at odds with the evidence that the predominant route of transmission is inhalation rather than fomites”

For some, the way masks are used may  negate the benefits. 

Those are the folk who for ever re-adjusting  and pulling  them up and down,, below their chin , even up on their forehead , rubbing  their eyes and their  nose  with un- washed hands and then then stuffing the  moistened mask somewhere  for further use.

Masks can be very annoying to wear, but perhaps we should  reflect that in many situations such as  in hospitals and care homes staff have had to wear these darned things every working hour on long shifts  for many, many months now- is it so difficult for us  to wear one nipping into Shoprite?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Well I guess they will cancel if they can’t rely on people like you to take sensible mitigation , none of my events cancelled 😀

Where have I said I do t where a mask?

I don’t think it makes a noticeable difference to spread but I will wear one if there are other people around who are wearing them, and do for a good part of Monday.

It is completely possible to disagree with something and question it while still doing it for others people’s perceived benefit. 

Where on earth did you get the impression I wouldn’t wear one? Or were you just making it up?