IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

So a PCR test when you leave the IOM (to go to EU for example) costs £50. The same PCR test done by the same people when you come back costs £30. Both are still cheaper than the rip off merchants in the UK when you book the nonsensical day 2 test though. When are we holding China to account for all this again? 

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Some people I'm acquainted with have little confidence in the accuracy of the LFD's, referring to the number of false results, 

I think the LFT negative results aren't always 100%

However if it's a positive, then it's definite. 

Or was it the other way round? 

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

You have it the right way round, however, the last two people I know who received positive LFD's both had a negative PCR. Both tested positive on multiple LFD's both before and after their PCR test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

Hang on theres skips full of them somewhere ,  that incident seems to have gone quiet , but what a waste of test kits and now at a time when they are really needed , 

Well I think the police are dealing it through the court now. Shows the state of our government, when they do not even trust iompost to deliver for another department (manx care). 

Couldnt make it up could you 

so now the money goes to a private company, when instead it would have gone to the post office which have to pay the government 1million a year in dividends anyway. Literally put it back into the system 😤

Edited by Maugholdmafia

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I’m no expert but common sense would tell me that if this O variant is a lot more contagious then wouldn’t that suggest that more people will get it and symptoms or not, will have to isolate and that is is going to hit all sectors hard? Nothing to do with the government or it’s response and more about the virus itself? 

Unless you’re suggesting that no one isolates and it’s allowed to spread right through the community unchecked? Is that what you think would be best? 

Judging by the comments coming out of South Africa about how mild it it I would suggest that we shouldn't be escalating the threat level at all. We should instead have been carrying on as normal in order to expose more people to it and increase immunity throughout the community, especially throughout the younger generation. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

With Thanks to The Mash:

Six f**king obvious questions anti-maskers really need to ask

IF wearing a mask is fascist government oppression, what is it meant to achieve? Here are the questions anti-maskers avoid asking: 

What’s the overall point?

Getting people to wear a mask means you’ve cleverly tricked them into wearing a thin face covering. They are now your obedient puppets who can be made to do anything, so long as it’s wearing a thin face covering. It’s not exactly The Manchurian Candidate.

Are masks really oppression?

Covering your face in Tesco isn’t a classic symptom of life under tyranny. O’Brien didn’t threaten to pop a lightweight cloth mask on Winston Smith in Nineteen Eighty-Four. It’s only useful as an instrument of terror if you can’t imagine anything worse than your glasses misting up.

Cui bono?

Who profits? Well, Tory cronies have cashed in on dodgy PPE, test-and-trace, and so on. Pretty disgusting, but worth the expense, hassle and unpopularity of a fake pandemic? No. It’s like faking your own death to avoid a 45-minute Skype chat with your in-laws.

Is Covid really no worse than flu?

If Covid doesn’t either exist or is no worse than ‘the Spanish flu’, as dickheads suggest, who’s killing so many people? Thanos? Why are 1.4 million NHS workers lying about it? Who’s orchestrating this global conspiracy, and why do you imagine you’re intelligent enough to see through it?

Is the New World Order really involved?

More to the point, is there any evidence the New World Order exists? Which world leaders are keen to give up power to a single world government? Boris Johnson? Jair Bolsonaro? Xi Jinping? None of them can even agree on bloody climate change.

Why do anti-maskers keep getting Covid?

Attending protests unmasked and unvaccinated seem to result in symptoms exactly like Covid. Perhaps Mossad are using low-frequency sound generators to replicate fake Covid. Or the government has engineered and released a real virus to cover up their fake virus. Yes. That makes sense. You should wear a mask.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Assessment of the LFT/D false-negative rate varies, but some studies have shown it to be as high as 50%, though it does see a bit lower when viral loads are higher.  But even the manufacturers seem to say it's only 90% reliable at best - ie 10% would show negative while someone was actually infected.

They claim very low figures for false positives (well under 1%) but local figures suggest that only 93% of positive LFD tests then give a positive PCR test - so 7% false positive.  As these will be overwhelmingly symptomatic cases, the 'true'figure might be even higher.

Of course these assessments are based on previous variants of the Covid-19 virus, it could be that the figures for Omicron are even worse, though there's nothing much to indicate either way as yet.

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

You must be in a parallel universe to the Strand St I’ve just walked down where I’d say it was 40-50% 

Was just about to post the same.

Three workplaces (including my own) and WH Smith at the sea terminal where there were other customers milling around.

In all cases my mask was in my pocket and stayed there because apart from the lady serving in smiths not a single person was wearing one.

• Confused 1