IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Thanks both for your comments.

I can honestly see where you are both coming from but I think it would take a brave and a bold government to announce such an approach. You may of course both be right but the truth is that right now we don’t have enough experience of this new variant to make that call - and even if our government did - could you imagine the backlash?

Honest question, if either of you were CM would you make that call? Without knowing how it might pan out?

There is, to my mind the question of ‘what if’. Right now your concern seems to be about hospitality @Ramseyboi  My concern would be that the issue may mean a whole lot more than the hospitality losing money. My concern would be medical staff, police, front service providers. The people who actually keep our island running safely. With no disrespect to the hospitality sector, it’s not exactly life or death is it? It’s an extra added bonus to residents. And I say that as a member of the hospitality sector who has a lot to lose at n this run up to Christmas. 

That's a fair post.

However at what point do we develop the cojones to make our own decisions and not just copy whatever they do across? Local decisions for local problems we are always told.

We don't always have to go jumping in with two feet following whatever decision that shambolic attempt at a government take in London. They have a magic money tree to shake when things get tough, we have to balance a small internal budget. That's a pretty big consideration to take into account whenever we make decisions. 

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

I don’t know who Bob is, but Mr Love is absolutely correct.

5C7A1B0F-CC25-40E2-8805-D849634D8BEB.jpeg

Idiotic statement from the Chief Minister didn't help. It wasn't a calming message. Threats of mandating mitigations, talk of immune systems not working anymore and raising of threat levels. 

He needs to sack his script writer and grow a pair. He could have delivered the same message using different rhetoric and smoothed the situation over. 

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I don’t know who Bob is, but Mr Love is absolutely correct.

5C7A1B0F-CC25-40E2-8805-D849634D8BEB.jpeg

Yes it’s ridiculous , Fig & olive guy said he’s ordered £000s of extra supplies, hired extra staff & now getting cancellations including one large corporate event. The large corporate should at least pay a large cancellation fee!

7 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Idiotic statement from the Chief Minister didn't help. It wasn't a calming message. Threats of mandating mitigations, talk of immune systems not working anymore and raising of threat levels. 

He needs to sack his script writer and grow a pair. He could have delivered the same message using different rhetoric and smoothed the situation over. 

I seldom use twitter, but was doing a bit of doomdenier scrolling last night. His speech, the part where he mentions the immune system not working anymore, has really taken off, i saw it retweeted loads of times. 

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

I seldom use twitter, but was doing a bit of doomdenier scrolling last night. His speech, the part where he mentions the immune system not working anymore, has really taken off, i saw it retweeted loads of times. 

I'm not surprised. I heard it and thought WTF?? It was like his script had been written by a member of the Doomsday Cult. Completely inaccurate, unscientific and sent out the wrong message at the wrong time. 

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think he did ok but whatever he said or did was going to click every Karen on the IOM into overdrive. So far Cannan has been a much better and calming influence than Quayle was. 

Agreed. However last night he was reading from a pre-prepared script that he looked ill at ease reciting from. Lesson learnt, you would hope. 

Edited by Danoo