IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

26 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

This is an unprecedented situation, perhaps the biggest crisis the Island has ever faced.

There are as yet unknown people (so called medical experts amongst others no doubt) playing fast & loose with peoples lives, seemingly unaccountable.

The Manx public have a right to know who is advising our Government, what they are saying & information surrounding testing & arrivals.

Without doubt what people do not know they will make it up for themselves. Governments first duty is to protect the population isn't it?

15 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You mention young people but the fact is young fit healthy people arent affected by this virus yet they are being treated the same as someone who is elderly and catching it could kill them. This must be the first time in history healthy fit people are being quarantined. 

My family have bit the bullet and booked a trip off the island to see grandparents. Cant live like this much longer.

Tension after Sundays announcements here and the stats from the UK this morning is almost palpable in some quarters. We seem to be stuck now whatever we do.

34 minutes ago, Apple said:

Without doubt what people do not know they will make it up for themselves. Governments first duty is to protect the population isn't it?

Tension after Sundays announcements here and the stats from the UK this morning is almost palpable in some quarters. We seem to be stuck now whatever we do.

Quite honestly, given that the infection rate in the UK will be be high for many months (perhaps years) & there is no obvious sign of a trusted & thoroughly tested vaccine, I don’t believe there is any other alternative than the Jersey model.

Yes, the same drum is being banged but it is working & allowing an Island to recover whilst allowing relatively free movement of people & mitigating the transmission of the virus and protecting their NHS & key workers.

Edited by Nom de plume

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

That does seem to be what they are pinning their Hope's on. What if it never comes? 

You mention young people but the fact is young fit healthy people arent affected by this virus yet they are being treated the same as someone who is elderly and catching it could kill them. This must be the first time in history healthy fit people are being quarantined. 

My family have bit the bullet and booked a trip off the island to see grandparents. Cant live like this much longer.

I think you’re misinterpreting.

There appears to be a spike amongst late teens and early 20’s. They may be asymptomatic. They may suffer no ill effects. But they can pass it on. To the elderly, vulnerable, your grandparents.

How do we deal with that?

There wasn’t a vaccine for Spanish flu. It just burned itself out and disappeared. Other pandemic viruses, polio as an eg, didn’t behave like that, and we had to wait for a vaccine. There were local lockdowns up until the 1950’s and 1960’s for towns with polio outbreaks, even in UK.

We don’t know which category Covid falls into.

Four options.

Lock downs, masks, social isolation, gamble with economy and mental health

Wait for burn out - which may never come

Wait for vaccine - hope it’s effective

Get on with life, taking precautions to ensure safety of vulnerable and elderly ( short of lock down for them ) and being risk aware and ensuring medical facilities are not overwhelmed. Lock down any hot spots.

I think we have to move to the get on with life, sooner rather than later, with burn out and vaccine being possible assistance. That needs competent track & trace, and a mobile based system seems best placed to be the back bone. One of the precautions will be frequent faster widespread testing. I see the UK government is announcing a “world beating” 5 minute antigen test to allow theatre opening for panto season. A quick test would be welcome. But when UK government announces anything as world beating why does my heart sink?

https://www.gramilano.com/2020/09/uk-government-to-reopen-theatres-and-stadiums-with-new-world-beating-scheme/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=gramilanosocial

ignoring the fact it is now pragmatically too late to mount a professional panto, with engaging artists, scripting, set design and build, etc, rehearsal.

Oh no it isn’t!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Quite honestly, given that the infection rate in the UK will be be high for many months (perhaps years) & there is no obvious sign of a trusted & thoroughly tested vaccine, I don’t believe there is any other alternative than the Jersey model.

Yes, the same drum is being banged but it is working & allowing an Island to recover whilst allowing relatively free movement of people, whilst mitigating the transmission of the virus and protecting their NHS & key workers.

At least of one mhks is pushing to allow non residents to visit in same way as Howie best mates Guernsey are

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visitors-could-support-economy-without-increasing-risk/

22 minutes ago, Apple said:

Not knowing and making up because you like gossip and are a conspiracy theorist is no more dangerous than being given the figures and misinterpreting them because you aren’t qualified and are a conspiracy theorist.

Possibly?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Apple said:

Really??? Can't say I've noticed

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Really??? Can't say I've noticed

Don’t think it’s any different, older retired population eg my mother & in laws want borders closed, younger working population eg my children , their friends and work colleagues want more relaxation and more testing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think you’re misinterpreting.

There appears to be a spike amongst late teens and early 20’s. They may be asymptomatic. They may suffer no ill effects. But they can pass it on. To the elderly, vulnerable, your grandparents.

How do we deal with that?

I wonder what is prompting them to be tested if they are asymptomatic though John? It doesn't sound like the behavior of young people, they are generally more blase and carefree, unless they are having some adverse symptoms?

51 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

This must be the first time in history healthy fit people are being quarantined. 

It's almost too obvious to have to point out, but the whole reason for quarantining people is that you do it to the (apparently) fit and healthy, and it has always has been throughout history.  In the past if you knew people were ill or infected you turned them away, now we would isolate and treat, but quarantining is a way of checking that people aren't carrying the infection in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I wonder what is prompting them to be tested if they are asymptomatic though John? It doesn't sound like the behavior of young people, they are generally more blase and carefree, unless they are having some adverse symptoms?

Contact tracing - both formal and informal.  My niece has it - one of her friends had it first, she got minor symptoms and got herself tested.  I think youngsters are blase about the risk of getting it, but once they have it I suspect most of them will be relatively sensible and avoid visiting grandma in the care home.  In my view it's not a bad thing that university students are all going to get it in the next month or so - adds to the herd immunity.

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Contact tracing - both formal and informal.  My niece has it - one of her friends had it first, she got minor symptoms and got herself tested.  I think youngsters are blase about the risk of getting it, but once they have it I suspect most of them will be relatively sensible and avoid visiting grandma in the care home.  In my view it's not a bad thing that university students are all going to get it in the next month or so - adds to the herd immunity.

When the hordes of students come back at Xmas I guess we may see more cases as not many will be able to isolate in home and avoid family & friends at that time of year . 

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

When the hordes of students come back at Xmas I guess we may see more cases as not many will be able to isolate in home and avoid family & friends at that time of year 

It would make a lot more sense for them to stay away this Christmas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

What do you mean by "so called"?

Are you one of those people who doesn't believe medical opinion, experts etc?

They are so called if they are.

We don’t know who they are & what they are advising or based on what assumptions or information they are using.

• Like 2