IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

18 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

I've been in numerous meetings in two large offices today (200+staff) not a mask in sight. Walked into the Spar with two customers in and was publicly shamed by the manager for not wearing a mask :D

Hey Slinky, I have no issue whether you wear a mask or not, but you should be publicly shamed and ridiculed for shopping in Spar!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not how I would have phrased it[1], but it isn't actually untrue is it?

There is still much we do not know about the omicron variant, the most crucial is that question about how effective the vaccine will be in offering us protection.  The greatest concern is that the virus has mutated to such an extent that our immune systems, trained by the vaccine, no longer recognise the virus and no longer trigger an immune response.  This sort of variant is know as a ‘vaccine escape’ variant.

The large number of mutations in Omicron have caused a lots of concern and the previous SA-originated variant (Beta) did show some reduction in vaccine protection.  Omicron does seem more transmissible from the limited amount of data we have.

[1]  I would have talked more about a reduction in protection rather than the immune response not being triggered at all - which implies it's more an on/off thing, while we know that vaccination doesn't provide complete protection against existing variants even.

There was absolutely no need to dive straight into a doomsday scenario at the first press briefing anyway. He could have left it at 'There is still much we do not know about the Omicron variant.'

It would have been accurate, concise and sent out the right message at a time when the Doomsday Cult were salivating and hanging off his every word waiting for something to jump upon. 

• Like 2

Just now, Danoo said:

There was absolutely no need to dive straight into a doomsday scenario at the first press briefing anyway. He could have left it at 'There is still much we do not know about the Omicron variant.'

It would have been accurate, concise and sent out the right message at a time when the Doomsday Cult were salivating and hanging off his every word waiting for something to jump upon. 

They need to compensate hospitality for the unnecessary panic that ensued.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

They need to compensate hospitality for the unnecessary panic that ensued.

I quite agree.

In my, admittedly small amount, of media training I had in my past corporate life I was always told to say as little as possible whilst getting the message across. Address the issue in hand and don't leave any opportunity for misunderstanding. 

I don't know who advises him but he's been strung up like a kipper on this one. Another briefing to placate the jittery manx public who are going off on the deep end on this one wouldn't be a bad move, ahead of a traditionally bumper period for the manx economy. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

Further mask update - breaking.

Did you wear your masks at school today kids? “Nope, literally no one was wearing them anywhere.  It was freezing though”

Well they were wearing them most places you & offshore Manx weren’t as reported by most on here , funny that😀

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am not in  the hospitality business but in a world that is not getting rid of Covid anytime soon would it not be better to let the weak fail? This is how capitalism should work.

We don't keep supporting Steam railways or horse drawn carriages do we? ...................eh........ but anyway they are out of date and not profitable anymore so why not treat hotels and restaurants the same?

The market will decide who should survive, the market is far more right 90% of the time than our "Dept of Enterprise"

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Mask update - Ramsey “big” Co-Op.

About 60 percent not bothering if you exclude staff who I assume don’t have an option.

I’ve just been refused service in Peel Shoprite/Subway (Snubway!?) for not wearing a mask, was only nipping in/out for something for tea, WTF if the matter with them.

• Sad 1