IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, HeliX said:

I've said this about 4 times in the last 2 days so I presume you're willfully ignoring it now, but just in case you're not:

Many vulnerable people have to go food shopping. They do not have to go to a takeaway. That is why one should be masked, and the other not necessarily. The clientele and their necessity is the difference, not the general risk.

Vulnerable people are allowed to buy a sandwich, but not fish and chips?

There is absolutely no logical reason why one should be treated differently to the other.

I understand a differentiation between the coop and a restaurant, but a chippy?

You can’t justify that.  It makes absolutely no sense.  Plenty of elderly and vulnerable people enjoy fish and chips and the process of going in and buying it is exactly the same as going j to a shop when you are talking about COVID risk.

• Confused 1

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

Vulnerable people are allowed to buy a sandwich, but not fish and chips?

There is absolutely no logical reason why one should be treated differently to the other.

I understand a differentiation between the coop and a restaurant, but a chippy?

You can’t justify that.  It makes absolutely no sense.  Plenty of elderly and vulnerable people enjoy fish and chips and the process of going in and buying it is exactly the same as going j to a shop when you are talking about COVID risk.

Of course they're allowed to. But food shopping is a necessity, and takeaways aren't. You can also place an order with a takeaway over the phone, and pick it up without spending more than a few seconds in the shop. It makes perfect sense to base mask requirements on the necessity of attendance. That's why they're required on public transport, but not inside pubs. If you are vulnerable you can avoid the pub, you may not be able to avoid public transport. It lets everyone make their own judgements based on risk, with minimal disruption to normal activities, whilst still protecting the vulnerable.

Requiring masks absolutely everywhere that might have other people in would diminish the (already quite poor) public support for measures at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Of course they're allowed to. But food shopping is a necessity, and takeaways aren't. You can also place an order with a takeaway over the phone, and pick it up without spending more than a few seconds in the shop. It makes perfect sense to base mask requirements on the necessity of attendance. That's why they're required on public transport, but not inside pubs. If you are vulnerable you can avoid the pub, you may not be able to avoid public transport. It lets everyone make their own judgements based on risk, with minimal disruption to normal activities, whilst still protecting the vulnerable.

Requiring masks absolutely everywhere that might have other people in would diminish the (already quite poor) public support for measures at all.

If mask wearing is only about vulnerable people as you suggest, why don’t we let vulnerable people shop at set hours each day in total safety and the rest of us the rest of the time?

It would offer them more protection, and if they are so vulnerable they can’t be working with other people anyway so it shouldn’t be an issue?

• Haha 2

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

If mask wearing is only about vulnerable people as you suggest, why don’t we let vulnerable people shop at set hours each day in total safety and the rest of us the rest of the time?

It would offer them more protection, and if they are so vulnerable they can’t be working with other people anyway so it shouldn’t be an issue?

I would support that as an additional measure anyway - it's seemed like good sense to me since the start. Vulnerable hours for shopping, vulnerable hours for gyms etc. But there are also vulnerable people who possibly can't make those times for a variety of reasons.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Great idea apart from expecting the retailer to enforce restrictions on non-vulnerable shoppers who may want to go at that time, deciding if a shopper is indeed vulnerable and picking a time, which will always be inconvenient to someone. 

Tesco have a couple of quiet periods where they reduce the noise and lighting so that people who find the hurly burly of an everyday situation threatening and challenging.  But that is a comparatively easier fix where is mire to do with ambiance rather than infection control.

Just wear a mask, not hard, not an infringement of your human rights and will make everyone feel happier. 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

ust wear a mask, not hard, not an infringement of your human rights and will make everyone feel happ

Again.  I do when others are.  It is always in my pocket.

The point is people are trying to make out that some places need it more than others.

I haven’t been within 10m of someone wearing a mask without putting one on myself for well over a year.

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Again. I do when others are. It is always in my pocket.

Same one? Which pocket?

The point is, people are trying to make out that some places need it more than others.

Some places do though. The point is made unless you can convince me otherwise.

I haven’t been within 10m of someone wearing a mask without putting one on myself for well over a year.

I'm sure you're making it up as you go along. Hilarious...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Same one? Which pocket?

Some places do though. The point is made unless you can convince me otherwise.

I'm sure you're making it up as you go along. Hilarious...

You are an odd one.

Why is it difficult to believe that I am more than happy to wear a mask if it makes others feel comfortable and that I read that by if they are wearing one or not?  I admit, I didn’t include shop workers in my 10m statement but they are behind a screen and masked up and I always stand well back.

If I am somewhere where no one else is wearing one I won’t bother.  What is the issue?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Preliminary data coming out from Israel suggest that vaccines afford a similar level of protection against serious illness as Delta, which is very promising. 90% protection against Omicron vs 95% against Delta if you’ve had your booster. 

There is an increased chance of reinfection, to the tune of double and R is apparently 1.3 times higher than Delta. 

The unvaccinated are apparently 2.4 times more likely to get seriously ill compared to the original strain of COVID. 

https://www.mako.co.il/news-lifestyle/2021_q4/Article-0e660b77fe17d71027.htm

So, if you’re jabbed up, it looks like you could well be in the clear vs your anti vax neighbours. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

They will only be able to cry wolf so many times before they stop bringing people with them and with this I think we’ve probably reached a tipping point. Many people are sick and tired of being ruled by fear and hysteria and it’s largely lost it’s impact now with many. Omicron is highly likely to be a big non event. Exactly like Delta Variant largely was. If you’re vaccinated then just crack on. The hysteria is damaging and destructive and the world has to wean itself off it as we’re storing up huge problems for the next two or three years as things try to return to normal. 

Who needs fear and hysteria when you’ve got machine learning and big data? 

You can find out exactly what makes anyone tick at the push of a button.

You can meddle in elections without ever setting foot in a country.

If Russia or China or any other less than friendly country could come out and decry it as a big nonsense and embarrass everyone else, they would.

• Haha 1