IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

52 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

I think a large population of the population are suffering from something akin to Stockholm syndrome. Don’t want to see COVID go.

I have myself put several positive news stories on here over the last day, always some who have to look at them negatively; too small data size, only men, only vaccinated, only rich people, can’t trust Israel…

Just bring yourself to say it’s looking quite positive 😎

I linked a Hebrew article from Israel actually citing statistics last night. https://www.mako.co.il/news-lifestyle/2021_q4/Article-0e660b77fe17d71027.htm

Israel are saying it’s about as dangerous as Delta for the unvaccinated. About 2.4x the rates of original COVID of 2020 for serious illness. 

They didn’t distinguish between double jabbed and unvaccinated in that rate though. They were only counting those with boosters for the 90% vaccine efficacy vs 95% in Delta.

Though, the re-infection rate is double that of Delta and R is about 1.3 times higher. 

I think the clear answer is, with enough booster coverage, we’ll be fine. But ramping that up as quickly as possible would be pragmatic. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged

24 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

What the f are you talking about?

Just because I have similar views to another poster on one particular topic doesn’t make us the same person.

What would be the fun in agreeing with yourself anyway.  If I was going to go to the effort of logging in and out to post under two names I would at least make it interesting 

You haven't so far 

Edited by Passing Time
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Our normal trend is nowhere near 22 suicides a year though. Nowhere near - so lockdowns and restrictions are likely to be highly contributory. 

Isolation from friends and family on the adjacent isle too. 

At least people in the UK could hop on a train and go to see friends and family in other cities even during lockdown. Not here, we went full on fascist with the border controls. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Our normal trend is nowhere near 22 suicides a year though. Nowhere near - so lockdowns and restrictions are likely to be highly contributory. 

What's the total covid deaths here now?   50ish? 

Rather a sobering comparison.  Covid vs Suicide. 

A man on Mannin Line moaning about being turned away from two shops for refusing to wear a mask this way the responsibility has been placed on the retail trade good move by the government.   There will no doubt be a spike of cases after Alan Carr has done his two shows, both fully booked as per the Villa booking site but loads of people trying to offload tickets on various Facebook sites.    The case of everyone shouldering responsibility seems to be working far better than the Government mandating I expect from their point of view certainly.

20 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Lawrie confirmed that there were 22 suicides on the island in 2020 (6 in 2019), I find that absolutely tragic!!!!!!

I’m surprised the figure isn’t higher to be honest, but I assume these won’t include drugs deaths as they would be death by misadventure I assume?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Lawrie confirmed that there were 22 suicides on the island in 2020 (6 in 2019), I find that absolutely tragic!!!!!!

Worth pointing out that you can draw anything that’s statistically significant or meaningful from two years of Manx statistics.

The year on year trend for years and years has been in the teens.

I suspect the 6 and 20 are both aberrant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’m surprised the figure isn’t higher to be honest, but I assume these won’t include drugs deaths as they would be death by misadventure I assume?

It was quite difficult to get drugs during lockdown (so I heard). 

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Worth pointing out that you can draw anything that’s statistically significant or meaningful from two years of Manx statistics.

The year on year trend for years and years has been in the teens.

I suspect the 6 and 20 are both aberrant.

I'm pretty sure the increase won't just be seen in the IoM figures. The action taken by governments around the world the past 18 months pushed a lot of people over the edge. Sadly our government don't seem to be heeding those warnings, again. 

• Sad 1