IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 minutes ago, pongo said:

It would make a lot more sense for them to stay away this Christmas.

As if that’s going to happen in any family!! Please stay away on your own in a flat with no friends or family at Xmas for 3 /4 weeks , what sort of loser parents would do that?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

As if that’s going to happen in any family!! Please stay away on your own in a flat with no friends or family at Xmas for 3 /4 weeks , what sort of loser parents would do that?

Funny you say that. A friends daughter has just gone back and told her parents she will see them next summer unless a miracle happens. The parents were shocked. Daughter said she and her mates who cannot get home already have Christmas planned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Quite honestly, given that the infection rate in the UK will be be high for many months (perhaps years) & there is no obvious sign of a trusted & thoroughly tested vaccine, I don’t believe there is any other alternative than the Jersey model.

Yes, the same drum is being banged but it is working & allowing an Island to recover whilst allowing relatively free movement of people & mitigating the transmission of the virus and protecting their NHS & key workers.

As I asked Banker pages ago, show me how it will improve the economy? 

6 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Funny you say that. A friends daughter has just gone back and told her parents she will see them next summer unless a miracle happens. The parents were shocked. Daughter said she and her mates who cannot get home already have Christmas planned.

Well I suppose it shows what she thinks of her parents!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cambon said:

As I asked Banker pages ago, show me how it will improve the economy? 

Well Howie agrees it would improve economy by allowing visitors in but doesn’t want to do it at present, did you listen to his conference?

also other MHKs are calling for restrictions to be eased to allow non residents in.

you do realize that unemployment is 300% last years and getting worse, you haven’t got a clue about economics. There are a lot of non governmental employees at airport for example under threat of job loss but as long as you can go to pub you don’t care.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visitors-could-support-economy-without-increasing-risk/

Edited by Banker

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

if you were my son - me

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Contact tracing - both formal and informal.  My niece has it - one of her friends had it first, she got minor symptoms and got herself tested.  I think youngsters are blase about the risk of getting it, but once they have it I suspect most of them will be relatively sensible and avoid visiting grandma in the care home.  In my view it's not a bad thing that university students are all going to get it in the next month or so - adds to the herd immunity.

Exactly, I do not want my children to become neurotic and scared. I want them and other young people to enjoy their youth. This is going to go on for a long time and to deny a large section of the population who are not going to be affected to any great degree their freedom, is unrealistic, naive and some may say cruel. It is up to the government and those who are vulnerable to take responsibility for their own safety without restricting others. Neither I or my elderly vulnerable relatives believe that the 'cure' is worth the potential consequences to our youth. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Exactly, I do not want my children to become neurotic and scared. I want them and other young people to enjoy their youth. This is going to go on for a long time and to deny a large section of the population who are not going to be affected to any great degree their freedom, is unrealistic, naive and some may say cruel. It is up to the government and those who are vulnerable to take responsibility for their own safety without restricting others. Neither I or my elderly vulnerable relatives believe that the 'cure' is worth the potential consequences to our youth. 

Totally agree , we need to ignore the trolls who want to stop freedom.

Interested to hear if Howie & other comin members along with other senior figures like Wrighty will be stopping their student children returning at Xmas like Down & Cambon advocate.

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well Howie agrees it would improve economy by allowing visitors in but doesn’t want to do it at present, did you listen to his conference?

also other MHKs are calling for restrictions to be eased to allow non residents in.

you do realize that unemployment is 300% last years and getting worse, you haven’t got a clue about economics. There are a lot of non governmental employees at airport for example under threat of job loss but as long as you can go to pub you don’t care.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visitors-could-support-economy-without-increasing-risk/

So, let's say we go to Jersey's testing system and allow family and friends in. Easy enough to do. You could apply to the government for some sort of permit, get them in, test and hopefully after 24 hours you can go for walks, etc. Remember, Jersey still has loads of other restrictions. Do you suggest they are reapplied here too? 

With regard to the economy, for every person visiting here, there will be two heading to Liverpool and Manchester to spend money off island. This will pretty much nett off any advantage to the economy.

the other issue is the uk infection rate. It is currently something like 1:2000. However, the majority of the country is virtually Covid free. Certain cities are hotspots, including Manchester. Also, Liverpool is on the amber list. The likelihood of someone bringing the disease into the community is high. 

Don't plan on going on anywhere soon (copied form a well-known aviation website).  As these start-dates seem to change every 10 days or so one could be suspicious that Mr Toad is slipping the inside story to the airlines.  We can keep our Alcatraz status for a few more months; the inmates will be delighted.

Looks like easyJet are changing things again, flights are showing in the system but not available to book - the next available flights to book are as follows

Liverpool - 14 December 2020

London Gatwick- 27th October 2020

Bristol - 29 March 2021

Belfast - 29 March 2021

Manchester - 14th December 2020

London Luton - 28th March 2021

Aer Lingus remains unchanged

Dublin - 25th October 2020

Loganair pushed back EDI by 2 months

Edinburgh- 2nd November 2020

Aurigny

Air Corridor to Guernsey ends 19th September 2020

No Update on LGW

39 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

quite a lot by the sounds of it. Sensible young lady

I have known many a student 'jet off' to Uni full of confidence about how they won't be coming home for ages - 'can't  wait to get off this rock' you won't see me back here' etc. etc. Give it until November and then its "Missing home, Missing Mum and dad" - "Uni's not for me" - "Please come and see me". What happens then? Is it just tough luck? The UK kids will just go home. 

Our departing students are just kids and they know no better. This cannot last until Christmas. Why is there no plan for if (when) the infection rate in the UK does not improve/gets worse?

What then? Are we sitting on the hard shoulder, while the world drives by, waiting for a vaccine that might never happen?

• Like 1