IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

18 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

What's the total covid deaths here now?   50ish? 

Rather a sobering comparison.  Covid vs Suicide. 

66 covid deaths so far. Weekly public health report due out tomorrow may see that number increase.

11 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’m surprised the figure isn’t higher to be honest, but I assume these won’t include drugs deaths as they would be death by misadventure I assume?

That probably depends on how deeply they probe the overdose deaths. They may well decide it's just another junky screw-up rather than bother to find out whether the OD was intentional or not.

44 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Sobering indeed and most of one group were in care homes at the end of what were hopefully happy and fulfilled lives as opposed to people who couldn’t cope who were taken well before that time. This is another statistic that needs to be fed into a covid inquiry - especially as so few of these deaths were reported at the time as a opposed to the covid ones which were plastered across the Internet to scare us all with. 

Well a lot of the covid figures have been this year. I'm guessing the suicide figures are from last year.

Ignore Abbotswood and you've got about the same chance of dying from covid as topping yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Worth pointing out that you can draw anything that’s statistically significant or meaningful from two years of Manx statistics.

The year on year trend for years and years has been in the teens.

I suspect the 6 and 20 are both aberrant.

You're right about the statistics. 

But as an island are we happy to have a suicide figure in the teens? 

12 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well a lot of the covid figures have been this year. I'm guessing the suicide figures are from last year.

Ignore Abbotswood and you've got about the same chance of dying from covid as topping yourself.

Sobering stat.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

A man on Mannin Line moaning about being turned away from two shops for refusing to wear a mask this way the responsibility has been placed on the retail trade good move by the government.   There will no doubt be a spike of cases after Alan Carr has done his two shows, both fully booked as per the Villa booking site but loads of people trying to offload tickets on various Facebook sites.    The case of everyone shouldering responsibility seems to be working far better than the Government mandating I expect from their point of view certainly.

Big signs up outside B& Q saying it’s a legal requirement to wear a mask, virtually 100% compliance except one bloke who had a lanyard. Heard couple of builders whining a bit but they complied as maybe wouldn’t have got service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Our normal trend is nowhere near 22 suicides a year though. Nowhere near - so lockdowns and restrictions are likely to be highly contributory. 

I said this would be a issue on the eve of our first lockdown. Some shouted me down as overreacting but I knew I so wasnt. Having had first hand experience of our Mental health services I knew what was coming. Sadly not enough resources and some staff not fit for purpose. Derek Flint been the only really agreeing with me .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 5

How can you shut down a lot of people's income then get them to jump through hoops to get a small portion of it back as a handout, which hardly pays the bills, and expect people to just whistle and go merrily on their way. 

Edited by Danoo

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Worth pointing out that you can draw anything that’s statistically significant or meaningful from two years of Manx statistics.

The year on year trend for years and years has been in the teens.

I suspect the 6 and 20 are both aberrant.

Thank you John. 

I find these figures (in the teens annually?) absolutely staggering, and a sad reflection of our past governments attitude to mental health. 

For anyone who has half an hour to spare, click on this Radio 4 link, it's my nephew Darran (who works for the Samaritans, and is an absolute inspiration to me); at just under 14mins in, he gives a glimpse of his mental state here on the island a few years ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b0b2jg2t

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I said this would be a issue on the eve of our first lockdown. Some shouted me down as overreacting but I knew I so wasnt. Having had first hand experience of our Mental health services I knew what was coming. Sadly not enough resources and some staff not fit for purpose. Derek Flint been the only really agreeing with me .

I think many agreed with you from day one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1