IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, Quality said:

It's correct though. If the variant was found to be vaccine resistant we would be back to square one. Obviously that looks increasingly unlikely as most rationale readers of the post would understand and wait to have confirmed. It's weird that only the most vocal anti-restriction / anti-government / anti-mask / anti-vaccine / covid-denier types seem to get scared by or even notice "scaremongering".

No. Some people are just disappointed with others spreading false information. He is a Public figure. It is his duty to be sending the correct information. 

Many people are not rational, esp wrt COVID and will hang of every word he says. 

Therefore crystal clear communication is my expectation. Objective not subjective. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Quality said:

It's correct though. If the variant was found to be vaccine resistant we would be back to square one. Obviously that looks increasingly unlikely as most rationale readers of the post would understand and wait to have confirmed. It's weird that only the most vocal anti-restriction / anti-government / anti-mask / anti-vaccine / covid-denier types seem to get scared by or even notice "scaremongering".

The problem is that the most vocal are not necessarily the most rational. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

We’ll never be back to square one. 

Juan is conflating vaccine resistance and the vaccine being useless. Even if it was, we’d have a vaccine within 5 months for the new variant. 

Of course, the vaccine is very cleverly designed as is, to mitigate against variants like the one we’re seeing. The vaccine targets the bit that won’t work to infect human cells if it changes too much. It’ll always be at least partially effective.

It seems to me like a lacking basic understanding of what’s actually happening. 

And in that 5 months? If it was vaccine resistant and killing people? Back to square one. 

Of course - that's almost certain not to be the case. But Watterson never said it was.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Quality said:

But it does beg the question as to whether he really does bone-up and reads more than one piece in the Grauniad, Torygraph, or even the advice given by PHE. Has he ever been on the much talked about media training course?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Oh there we go again. The constant pathetic attempt to write off genuine and balanced concerns as anti mask of covid denier. The pathetic backstop smear tactic after all else has failed. Sad. 

Not really. I haven't read much of what you've said. I just thought Watterson's piece was fairly non-inflammatory unless you go looking for stuff to get angry about. Lots of people on here/Twitter/Facebook (maybe not you - as I said, I've not read much of what you say) just need to chill out. Wear a mask where you're asked to, do LFTs, stop whining like babies.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Quality said:

And in that 5 months? If it was vaccine resistant and killing people? Back to square one. 

Of course - that's almost certain not to be the case. But Watterson never said it was.

No. Because vaccine resistance isn’t a binary thing. It’s a sliding scale.

If the virus mutates such that the vaccine doesn’t work at all, the virus likely won’t be able to infect human cells. 

Delta has mutations that impact how vaccines work with it, what it actually means is that your second dose is needed for best protection against serious illness, whereas with previous variants, one was enough for reasonable protection, hence the extended gap between doses. That gap was shortened in some places with the emergence of Delta. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Quality said:

I'm not anti mask anti vax etc but stuff like that just stirs up the lockdown types who want the government to tell them how they should live. There is no need for the post he should be trying to keep people calm.

• Like 3

What's happened to this government under Cannan? 

First we have his script writers writing doom-laden rubbish for him to to read out. Then we have Juan going off message with his incorrect ramblings from the bunker and Tim Glover now off on a tangent to try and get people to like him, again.

Is Cannan in charge here or is it just a free-for-all in a vacuum now Quayle has left?

Edited by Danoo
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m really disappointed. I thought the last shit show was down to Quayle and his bombastic know it all manner. I was so looking forward to someone more rational heading things up.

It would appear that the one thing Quayle had going for him was that he controlled Comin to an inch of its life so that none would speak out. Now, it’s gone the other way with many of them chipping in with their own opinions giving the impression of nothing like a joined up approach. 

It’s not good, is it. 

It rather appears that way.

I'm not sure they respect Cannan like they feared Quayle. Even Dr Glover has found a new lease of life, in fact she could very well have written Alf's speech the other day from what it sounded like. 

I'm not confident we'll last the winter without a bigger cock up happening. I don't know what that will be yet but you can't have a number of loose cannons (ahem) all firing off in different directions without the shit hitting the fan at some stage. 

Edited by Danoo
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 7:28 AM, the stinking enigma said:

Until hetty appears at the lectern to inform me that this variant is called omicron, and it's called omicron because we name these things after letters of the greek alphabet, then i'm going to reserve judgement. There's just not enough information as yet

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I’m really disappointed. I thought the last shit show was down to Quayle and his bombastic know it all manner. I was so looking forward to someone more rational heading things up.

It would appear that the one thing Quayle had going for him was that he controlled Comin to an inch of its life so that none would speak out. Now, it’s gone the other way with many of them chipping in with their own opinions giving the impression of nothing like a joined up approach. 

It’s not good, is it. 

Neither Speaker or Glover are in CoMin so Cannan has no control over them and nor should he.

2 hours ago, Danoo said:

I'm not sure they respect Cannan like they feared Quayle

They didn't fear Quayle, they were coming up to an election and feared the electorate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danoo said:

I'm not confident we'll last the winter without a bigger cock up happening. I don't know what that will be yet but you can't have a number of loose cannons (ahem) all firing off in different directions without the shit hitting the fan at some stage. 

It will be some Doom Covener going nuts and doing something harmful to the GMP. 

This is a genuine observation.

Everywhere I go hardly anyone is wearing a mask, so how come you are all reporting this massive compliance?

I am not anti mask, every building I have been in this week I have had one with me to wear if I felt others expected it.

Crosby CO-OP.  1 customer out of about 20 I saw was wearing one.  A group walked through the door wearing them, noticed no one else was and took them off.  That is pretty much what I have been doing.

Petrol station.  None.

Spar. None.

Schools.  Hardly any kids are wearing them.

Various offices as part of work. Very, very few.

I really don’t understand where all these mask wearers are hanging out, but accept that I haven’t been to Tesco etc.

26 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

This is a genuine observation.

Everywhere I go hardly anyone is wearing a mask, so how come you are all reporting this massive compliance?

I am not anti mask, every building I have been in this week I have had one with me to wear if I felt others expected it.

Crosby CO-OP.  1 customer out of about 20 I saw was wearing one.  A group walked through the door wearing them, noticed no one else was and took them off.  That is pretty much what I have been doing.

Petrol station.  None.

Spar. None.

Schools.  Hardly any kids are wearing them.

Various offices as part of work. Very, very few.

I really don’t understand where all these mask wearers are hanging out, but accept that I haven’t been to Tesco etc.

Personal observation this week. M&S, Tesco, Boots, petrol station - maybe one or two people without a mask. 

• Like 2