IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Just arrived back into Manchester using the transfer within 24 hrs route. No one checked any paperwork ! QR codes or the like . No one. !!! A automatic machine checked my image/passport and that was it. The check in desk in Madeira had a quick glance , didnt need to see my NHS vaccination certificate so all a bit pointless really if they dont check.

You do know you enter your passport number on your UK landing form, right?

Or did you expect someone to manually check that? If your passport at the eGate wasn't attached to a landing form, you'd have been sent to one side for checking.

UK Gov is very joined up. Medical, DVLA, Borders, HMRC, the lot. They know if you have vax from UK based on name and DOB..

Edited by NoTailT

7 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

You do know you enter your passport number on your UK landing form, right?

Or did you expect someone to manually check that? If your passport at the eGate wasn't attached to a landing form, you'd have been sent to one side for checking.

UK Gov is very joined up. Medical, DVLA, Borders, HMRC, the lot. They know if you have vax from UK based on name and DOB..

Yes I do but not sure that explains one member of staff overseeing the whole setup . What happens if I didnt have the necessary paperwork ? Does the place explode with flashing lights and people jumping out of the shadows? Even the fight staff said to have our QR codes available .   They manually checked on arrival and departure in Madeira . QR codes etc  

Edited by Numbnuts

Just now, Numbnuts said:

Yes I do but not sure that explains one member of staff overseeing the whole setup . What happens if I didnt have the necessary paperwork ? Does the place explode with flashing lights and people jumping out of the shadows? Even the fight staff said to have our QR codes available .   

The eGate will just refuse you and the marshal at the eGates will send you to the Border Force counters, typically. Happened to me when I'd misentered my passport number coming back from Amsterdam a few weeks back.

Border Force guy said that's why I was put to one side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The eGate will just refuse you and the marshal at the eGates will send you to the Border Force counters, typically. Happened to me when I'd misentered my passport number coming back from Amsterdam a few weeks back.

Border Force guy said that's why I was put to one side.

Okay I accept your explanation but not sure about it . Lets see how I get on in the morning at Ronaldsway . 

16 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Isn't the point that the PCR should be showing the positive?

Normally yes.  There are two main possible explanations, given that a later PCR was also positive.  The first is that the swabbing for the PCR wasn't done properly  - @rachomics original test checked this by also testing for the presence of human DNA, but I think they stopped doing that.  The second is that the lab is failing to detect it in some way.  This seems less likely to me given the high rates of positive they are currently producing - where there has been a lab problem, as in the Wolverhampton lab, they've been missing most positives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Normally yes.  There are two main possible explanations, given that a later PCR was also positive.  The first is that the swabbing for the PCR wasn't done properly  - @rachomics original test checked this by also testing for the presence of human DNA, but I think they stopped doing that.  The second is that the lab is failing to detect it in some way.  This seems less likely to me given the high rates of positive they are currently producing - where there has been a lab problem, as in the Wolverhampton lab, they've been missing most positives.

When I saw that thread I'd ruled out swabbing issue because I thought we were still checking for swabbing errors...

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Well then..

This also happened to a friend of mine. They had a positive LFD then PCR gave them a negative. They took two more LFDs both positive. 111 refused to give them a further PCR test. They told them it must have been a faulty batch of LFDs. A line I've heard a few times. This raises so many issues: 

a) if they know there's a faulty batch out there why haven't they recalled them. If there isn't why the hell are 111 advising them about a faulty batch.

b) swabbing issues. The last time I took someone up for a PCR they barely put the swab up the nose. This happened with my friend as well. 

c) is there control issues in the lab? 

d) what about symptomatic people who don't take an LFD but go straight to testing as advised by the Govt. How many of them are being given incorrect results?

Having read the thread on Twitter it seems this is happening to numerous people and not just a one off.

Let's hope this isn't another one of those great Government cock ups again.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This also happened to a friend of mine. They had a positive LFD then PCR gave them a negative. They took two more LFDs both positive. 111 refused to give them a further PCR test. They told them it must have been a faulty batch of LFDs. A line I've heard a few times. This raises so many issues: 

a) if they know there's a faulty batch out there why haven't they recalled them. If there isn't why the hell are 111 advising them about a faulty batch.

b) swabbing issues. The last time I took someone up for a PCR they barely put the swab up the nose. This happened with my friend as well. 

d) what about symptomatic people who don't take an LFD but go straight to testing as advised by the Govt. How many of them are being given incorrect results?

Having read the thread on Twitter it seems this is happening to numerous people and not just a one off.

It's my thread.

I called 111, they were adamant of the negative result and stood by it after checking the lab report. They refused to book another PCR. They initially tried to blame the LFTs. My partner has done 12 since Weds AM, 10 of which have been positive. They then queried the private lab test saying it could have been dodgy, till I told them which lab did it. I was then put on hold for 5 minutes whilst she spoke to a clinical manager, then she came back to tell me to send it all in an email and they'll try and look in to it tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I don't agree with disregarding the concerns as 'doom coven' as someone else did.

It certainly appears something is going astray.

But what? That is the question. Be really intrigued to know @rachomicstake...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaymann said:

It's my thread.

I called 111, they were adamant of the negative result and stood by it after checking the lab report. They refused to book another PCR. They initially tried to blame the LFTs. My partner has done 12 since Weds AM, 10 of which have been positive. They then queried the private lab test saying it could have been dodgy, till I told them which lab did it. I was then put on hold for 5 minutes whilst she spoke to a clinical manager, then she came back to tell me to send it all in an email and they'll try and look in to it tomorrow.

That's shocking but not surprising.

I suspect it is a swabbing issue. Funnelling so many people through one point puts pressure on the swabbers to get through as many as possible. 

19 minutes ago, jaymann said:

It's my thread.

Why would anyone do 4 LFTs a day?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Is that why those LFDs were dumped recently? Were they faulty?