IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

17 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Has she validated against Dr Fairfax’s models. Are his helikopters from August still sitting at Noble’s

Is there really more infections or just more people getting PCRs? If there are genuinely more infections, then based on probability, numbers in hospital with COVID will increase. 

I think because of wider LFD use less people having been getting PCRs when feeling a bit ill. So I wonder if this rise in PCR and positives is led by an increase in positive LFDs?

4 hours ago, Banker said:

They’ve stopped doing pre hospital PCR so numbers will be reduced 

Somewhat but not massively - I think at most it was about 50 a day, usually less, there's not that much elective work that requires over-nights.  In total it still wouldn't be near the 400 plus tests they were doing throughout August, say.

Of course it's completely bonkers to rely on on the unreliable LFD tests rather than PCRs and the danger of ending up with infectious patients in other wards is increased, with elective surgery having to stop again, just as they've managed to get it started again.

I know I'm a bit late to the party but near 100% of shoppers wearing masks in tesco and m&s today.

What is this guff being repeated that covid has never been isolated? There doesn't seem to be any truth in it but it's being claimed all over the web.

1 minute ago, Raffles said:

I know I'm a bit late to the party but near 100% of shoppers wearing masks in tesco and m&s today.

What is this guff being repeated that covid has never been isolated? There doesn't seem to be any truth in it but it's being claimed all over the web.

Don’t tell offshore manc that or he’ll post pictures of mannequins & 2/3 others to prove no one is wearing masks 😂

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Raffles said:

It probably hasn’t been isolated, depends on how you define ‘isolated’. If it means a tube of pure SARS-CoV-2 particles suspended in a saline solution or something it may not have been. 

I agree however with your description of it being ‘guff’. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 747-400 said:

Is there really more infections or just more people getting PCRs? If there are genuinely more infections, then based on probability, numbers in hospital with COVID will increase. 

There's more testing, but not enough to explain the increase in cases in the last week.  There are now 915 active cases and that's up on 564 seven days and 374 before that.

image.png.f98b09e81d3a49ffd556155e69435d52.png

Edited to add: These are the daily cases from the last fortnight - not in particular the big rise in unknown infections.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's more testing, but not enough to explain the increase in cases in the last week.  There are now 915 active cases and that's up on 564 seven days and 374 before that.

Well with the virus going through schools very rapidly, the cases will continue to rise for a while until we get lots of 10 days recoveries.

cases are rising everywhere, Uk , Europe etc & Guernsey have 900+ with Jersey c1400

There have been a few "Covid Events", where a lot of people have mingled closely together - Christmas markets, Douglas lights switched on, etc.. etc... An increase in cases is only to be expected. There's not much likelihood of a drop now until after Christmas.

At least it means that a few more people will be getting immunity. 😎

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DragonS said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-booster-jab-online-booking-system-launched/

Looks like they have taken note and opened up another option to book a booster. Hopefully this will free up 111 to deal with testing queries.

I have an appointment for late December so thought I’d register for standby list for any no shows to get it earlier, got an email saying I’m not in correct category so rejected!

Not sure what the category matters if you’re turning up to fill a no show slot!!

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I have an appointment for late December so thought I’d register for standby list for any no shows to get it earlier, got an email saying I’m not in correct category so rejected!

Not sure what the category matters if you’re turning up to fill a no show slot!!

To be fair if you really are a banker, then I think most people would agree that the vaccine, along with the oxygen you breath, is completely wasted on you 😉