IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Hooperman is on the NPM this morning whinging like anything about pressure on the 111 service. No shit Sherlock. 

Blaming the UK Government for changing the rules of vaccination from 6 months to 3 months between second vaccination and booster. 

Well Hooperman, it wasn’t as though it came as a big surprise, this was widely trailed in the media and widely discussed, so should been discussed at DHSC meetings and ManxCare meetings too. Or don’t they discuss what’s happening in other parts of the UK?

Instead of whining, perhaps he could be proactive, create more vaccination facilities like village halls, schools, UCM etc and really ramp vaccination to all not just to the selected few. 

Currently blowing smoke up their own trumped by claiming the online booking system for vaccines is now live / being trialed with a select age group at the moment.

Maybe if they'd created this 12 months ago when GTS had been sitting around doing FA for 6 months then they'd have had less pressure on things. Instead they created a form the had to be manually filled in, manually checked, with appointments manually allocated.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Currently blowing smoke up their own trumped by claiming the online booking system for vaccines is now live / being trialed with a select age group at the moment.

Maybe if they'd created this 12 months ago when GTS had been sitting around doing FA for 6 months then they'd have had less pressure on things. Instead they created a form the had to be manually filled in, manually checked, with appointments manually allocated.

The system is a good investment. Covid boosters are going to be knocking around for the next few years so they need an efficient system to administrate that. 

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I now know more people with covid than without. I seem to be the only person I’ve know who hasn’t got it. I did my first ever up the nose jobbie (LFT) yesterday and I’m all clear.

No-one I know seems to be having it bad though. Headaches and a feeling of malaise in the main. Maybe it’s burning itself out? Does that happen? @wrighty

I haven't known anyone since the pandemic started and I must know about 20 people with it now.

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I haven't known anyone since the pandemic started and I must know about 20 people with it now.

Do they have any idea how they’re getting infected eg from children, packed indoor events etc? I know lots who’ve had it but only a few now 

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

Do they have any idea how they’re getting infected eg from children, packed indoor events etc? I know lots who’ve had it but only a few now 

Most I know have kids who have had snotty noses with temperature and now miraculously the adults have COVID.

One I know thinks they can only have caught it at some thing Digital Isle, some Gov organised event.

But I get the impression most people are just guessing and really don't have a clue who/where they got it from.

• Thanks 1

My friend had it, just flu like symptoms left with cough and loss of taste and smell no biggy but his partner had it really bad every symptom going still off food and coughing four weeks on and breathlessness, so I guess it depends on the individual.   I know more people that have had it than not.   A caller was on Mannin Line whining that he did not like wearing a mask….who does that is not the point.

I had covid on the 8 November confirmed by a PCR test my wife also had the virus, unfortunately she is in the vulnerable class and really never suffered more than a sore throat for a couple of days, I had a cough and a splitting headache for over a week no taste or smell (try cooking without both) although it overall was no worse than a bad cold. We both have had both jab's and awaiting booster although that has been put back until 22 Dec but thankfully we have come out alright.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Well there's currently 970 active cases, and since the Island 'opened up' at the end of June, I reckon there have been 10,326 people officially diagnosed with Covid (there were only 1164 up to 20 June).  Of course these are just those that got to the PCR stage, so there will be many more undiagnosed or only suspected because of positive LFDs or household contact (they stopped testing these).   So it's not surprising people know more sufferers.

The hope was that natural immunity would develop to protect those too young to be vaccinated and our high levels of adult vaccination would protect the vulnerable.  After 'opening up' there would be a quick outbreak that meant the unvaccinated got 'natural' protection and then Mr Covid would go away.

Certainly there was an enormous outbreak in July, mainly among the young.  But infection never then dropped below a rate of around 20 a day, there was a second intensification at the end of October, peaking at around 100 per day, and we are currently experiencing a third, post-opening, wave which is already averaging higher than that:

image.png.82f51ffcfd7f9a69e8c00259eddf3cf7.png

Mercifully hospitalisation is low at the moment, but I would expect it to increase following this third wave (as it did with the second).

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I now know more people with covid than without. I seem to be the only person I’ve know who hasn’t got it. I did my first ever up the nose jobbie (LFT) yesterday and I’m all clear.

No-one I know seems to be having it bad though. Headaches and a feeling of malaise in the main. Maybe it’s burning itself out? Does that happen? @wrighty

It's the standard pattern.  As we develop herd immunity severity will be less.  Mutations that become dominant also tend to be less virulent.  The virus isn't interested in killing people, it just wants to spread.  Most effective way of doing that is to cause fewer symptoms so that it is more likely to be passed on. (And before anyone picks me up on viruses not having feelings etc, I do understand Darwinian selection - it's just a figure of speech)

I've thought all along that covid will become another common cold.  Let's hope Omicron is it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2