IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

When Boris Johnson & his gammons are doing the Conga & having Secret Santa’s in Downing Street whilst the rest of the country can’t visit Gran, it’s going to take more than the Doom Coven, Dr. Glover et al with their constant Twitter reminders about mask wearing to change attitudes.

The U.K. government have pissed all over their chips.

I’ve just returned from those shores visiting three major U.K. cities. 

Here’s the rub guys - nobody gives a fuck anymore.

Except Karen tutting her way around the dog food aisle at Tesco all masked up.

• Haha 1

This is what i find confusing. The uk government don't want people wearing masks or doing other mitigations but at the same time they don't want to be held responsible for the results. So this os what happens every time. They rely on people like you nom de plume, taking the nudge and running with it. You are actually doing their bidding for them, i think you also maybe already realise this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Yet you are positioning yourself as some sort of freedom fighter? 

Oh, I’m no freedom fighter friend.

I’m just highlighting the utter lunacy & madness of the Covid farce.

The U.K. Government were (are still) trying to convince us all that this virus is a mass killer of millions, yet, even with their intimate knowledge of the virus within the cabinet office, and no discernible vaccination programme at the time, they carried on frolicking & partying without fear of death.

27 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Oh, I’m no freedom fighter friend.

I’m just highlighting the utter lunacy & madness of the Covid farce.

According to the WHO dashboard covid has now killed over 5m people.

That's not a farce...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

According to the WHO dashboard covid has now killed over 5m people.

That's not a farce...

Any figures on worldwide excess deaths over the pandemic period? There was a suggestion at the very start that all these lockdowns would save lives with fewer deaths from air pollution, traffic accidents, other infectious diseases etc.  Probably not in Western Europe, but if we look worldwide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zarley said:

By January this year there were a total of 25 covid deaths. The first death after vaccine rollout started was announced on 12 March.

The covid death total as of last Thursday is 67. That's 42 this year, only four of which occurred by the end of April. The majority of the over 60s were double-jabbed by this time.

Exactly.  A small number, and nearly all people who were already either old or vulnerable 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Any figures on worldwide excess deaths over the pandemic period? There was a suggestion at the very start that all these lockdowns would save lives with fewer deaths from air pollution, traffic accidents, other infectious diseases etc.  Probably not in Western Europe, but if we look worldwide.

Fill yer boots with Our World in Data's section on this:

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Though the detailed look tends to miss countries with poor data.  They do however refer to "The Economist [having] built a machine-learning model to estimate the number of excess deaths during the pandemic for 223 countries & regions.  From these country-level estimates they calculate a global figure."

These are the latest figure from the Economist:

image.png.0e23bb25d10706feaec0dbe8653bda70.png

As you can see their best estimate is around 18 million deaths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though the detailed look tends to miss countries with poor data.  They do however refer to "The Economist [having] built a machine-learning model to estimate the number of excess deaths during the pandemic for 223 countries & regions.  From these country-level estimates they calculate a global figure."

Thank you, fascinating.  You also proved my own hypothesis which is "Why bother researching something interesting yourself? Just post it on Manx Forums and @Roger Mexico will do the work for you"😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a bit pointless getting into a pissing contest over the numbers. I chose the WHO over Johns Hopkins and the rest because they should know and their dashboard is readily available.

Millions of what are now avoidable deaths is not a farce but a tragedy. However the only voice I hear in the UK trying to pressurise for a global approach is that of Gordon Brown.

However I don't read the UK right wing press in thrall to the agenda of the owner, which is to say pretty much all of it, so there could be others I suppose...

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Thank you, fascinating.  You also proved my own hypothesis which is "Why bother researching something interesting yourself? Just post it on Manx Forums and @Roger Mexico will do the work for you"😉

Don't push yer luck fella :lol:

As it happened I'd been looking myself a few days back, though I didn't find the Economist model till today.  I suspect even that may be a bit of an underestimate because of lack of basic data in some parts of the world, but it's a round figure to be getting on with.  And we know from the UK data that even in a country with the the best systems and reporting, the first official figures are too low.

The FT crew did an interesting Twitter Spaces broadcast earlier today:

which puts a number of recent new items, such as the latest in vitro results in context.