IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes it's bizarre, they've obviously come up with this measure which is out of line with everyone else but won't change as they would have to say they made an error.

It isn’t out of line. It’s guernsey that’s out of line at 33. Many countries are using a semaphore or traffic light system. The most commonly used boundary between green and amber is 20 in 100.000 ( or 1 in 5000 as Howie so quaintly puts it )

I even think there’s a Manx reason. If you visit the many Manx FB Covid and politics pages you’ll see the argument regularly trotted out that x in 100,000 doesn’t apply here because there are only 84,500 of us!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It isn’t out of line. It’s guernsey that’s out of line at 33. Many countries are using a semaphore or traffic light system. The most commonly used boundary between green and amber is 20 in 100.000 ( or 1 in 5000 as Howie so quaintly puts it )

I even think there’s a Manx reason. If you visit the many Manx FB Covid and politics pages you’ll see the argument regularly trotted out that x in 100,000 doesn’t apply here because there are only 84,500 of us!

Channel Islands both use Similar systems with either colours or letters , with both allowing U.K. Arrivals and cut off they use for red or A is 30:100k . Also both use regional differences so parts of U.K. higher risk than others.

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Channel Islands both use Similar systems with either colours or letters , with both allowing U.K. Arrivals and cut off they use for red or A is 30:100k . Also both use regional differences so parts of U.K. higher risk than others.

As I say, different countries have different systems, and country wide and regional distinctions. The commonest figure for Green to Amber ( not red ) boundary is 20:100,000.

Ive a car stuck in Bulgaria that I want to get to Spain. Bulgaria is at 23. Italy has had it on Red, ie 14 days quarantine, since early August. So I can’t use the ferries from Greece to Italy and Italy to Spain. And the countries to the north, the land route are blocked also. 

it’s bizarre as Italy hasn’t banned travel from Spain which has sky high figures.

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

As I say, different countries have different systems, and country wide and regional distinctions. The commonest figure for Green to Amber ( not red ) boundary is 20:100,000.

Ive a car stuck in Bulgaria that I want to get to Spain. Bulgaria is at 23. Italy has had it on Red, ie 14 days quarantine, since early August. So I can’t use the ferries from Greece to Italy and Italy to Spain. And the countries to the north, the land route are blocked also. 

it’s bizarre as Italy hasn’t banned travel from Spain which has sky high figures.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

A few days ago @dilligaf criticised me for going for a holiday in the sun. Just to prove how wrong he was - video of yesterday evening.

https://www.facebook.com/526416560874507/posts/1634325923416893/

Christ that’s some rain.

BTW , I questioned the necessity of your trip, rather than criticising you for going.

I’m sure you and your partner can self isolate on return, but that is not practical for our family. 
I hope you get an improvement in the weather.:flowers:

In the early days of these discussions (a couple of months ago) the ONS were reporting survey figures based on random sample testing of the UK - so that's not people going for tests based on symptoms, or contacts, or whatever.  They were being reported as a headline figure of 1 in 1900, or 1 in 2200 etc.  Calculations can be done based on these, and the number of likely arrivals here, to work out the probability of importing a case of covid.  These numbers were used to formulate the prevalence of infection required at each stage of the border policy. 

The ONS survey figures quickly became redundant as actual testing numbers increased, and in the survey itself the numbers were very low which led to wide confidence intervals.

There seems to be a move to more regional reporting now, with figures quoted as x per 100,000.  I'd hope that anyone can work out the x equivalent to 1:5000 etc.  If they can't they certainly have no business commentating, let alone making decisions, on border policy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On Sky news earlier this evening a Professor of Public Health stated his vision in the UK with respect to the increases in cases there. He knows more than me, and probably more than some on the island.

He stated that all people aged 60 years old and over, irrespective of any underlying conditions, will need to isolate themselves at some point.

As Mrs A and I are in that category that really concerns me, especially as Mrs A continues to work so really hope that is not being considered here. 

No, not a conspiracy theorist, but just trying to make sense of all this and do the right thing by my family both on and off island. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Spain does not have sky high figures. Isn't it lower than UK now?

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

On Sky news earlier this evening a Professor of Public Health stated his vision in the UK with respect to the increases in cases there. He knows more than me, and probably more than some on the island.

He stated that all people aged 60 years old and over, irrespective of any underlying conditions, will need to isolate themselves at some point.

As Mrs A and I are in that category that really concerns me, especially as Mrs A continues to work so really hope that is not being considered here. 

No, not a conspiracy theorist, but just trying to make sense of all this and do the right thing by my family both on and off island. 

It's going to have to come to that. The vulnerable are going to have to look out for themselves at some point. Gonna be tough.

1 minute ago, Apple said:

No government would try to, or be able to enforce such a restriction based upon age. Strong advice maybe.

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Italy are testing travelers from Spain though.

https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-08-16/France-considers-mandatory-face-masks-at-work-COVID-19-daily-bulletin-T0mXJIkTh6/index.html

- Italy has announced anyone returning from Spain, Croatia, Malta and Greece will be tested at the airport. Most of the 629 people who tested positive for the virus had recently came back from one of these countries, the health ministry said. 

Edited by cheesypeas

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I'd hope that anyone can work out the x equivalent to 1:5000 etc.  If they can't they certainly have no business commentating, let alone making decisions, on border policy.

I would seriously hope that is the case with whatever group is providing the scientific advice to the Minister. And then some....

• Like 1