IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Are the samples taken at the grandstand sent for analysis to see whether we have omicron variant here yet?

I am surprised there is no press conference planned here, considering the announcements from the UK. Are we just going to wait until the new variant arrives before taking action to stop it?

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Roger, the point I was making is, it was the fact that it is being reported that the symptoms are less severe, and are more 'cold like' rather than 'flu like' that I was concerned about. If it is more transmissible, more are infected but with lesser symptoms, how many will just carry on as normal, spreading the virus either unknowingly or in the belief that it will do no harm?   

Because diseases have a continuum of symptoms - no one knows without testing whether they have a a heavy cold or mild flu - it's all  about the overall balance that there in a population.   But even if the average response is milder there will still be a (smaller) percentage of serious cases.   After all Covid is fairly mild on average, but some people still end up in hospital or dead.  

2 hours ago, Raffles said:

Are the samples taken at the grandstand sent for analysis to see whether we have omicron variant here yet?

I am surprised there is no press conference planned here, considering the announcements from the UK. Are we just going to wait until the new variant arrives before taking action to stop it?

How would you intend stopping it reaching our shores?

2 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

If it’s not here already I’ll eat Gladys’s (Gladys’?) lilac knickers. 

Of course it’s here already …

… and like Delta, it won’t be the mass killer they said it would.

But let’s ramp up the rhetoric anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

In the presser yesterday that nice Professor Chris Whitty stated that he had contacted his South African colleagues that afternoon and they told him that because of how infectious Omicron is hospitalisations for covid had gone up by 300% in the last seven days.

That's 300% in just seven days.

I was so surprised I replayed it and yes, that's what he stated.

If hospitalisations are going up at that rate that would suggest there's more to it than just a common cold.

The data now needed is how badly it effects the none jabbed, the single jabbed, the double jabbed and those who have been boosted.

Incidentally Chris Whitty is not the lying, shifty looking shyster in the middle which means he can be trusted to tell the truth.

Without the vaccination rates we have in the UK, wouldn’t we see exactly the same admissions anyway? SA vaccination rate is pretty poor isn’t it? Seems no one down there trusts the drugs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

Without the vaccination rates we have in the UK, wouldn’t we see exactly the same admissions anyway? SA vaccination rate is pretty poor isn’t it? Seems no one down there trusts the drugs. 

That's the bit we don't know yet.

Hence the "If hospitalisations are going up at that rate that would suggest there's more to it than just a common cold.

The data now needed is how badly it effects the none jabbed, the single jabbed, the double jabbed and those who have been boosted."

Unfortunately it seems the only way to find out the effect Omnicron will have on our society is to wait and see how things evolve. From lab tests Pfizer are saying that three jabs of their product will protect you from the variant. But lab tests are just that - tests in a lab. Which is why real world trials are run.

• Haha 2

This really needs putting to bed once and for all, I've been at work amongst the great unwashed every day since all this kicked off not hiding behind the sofa! 

Also I could be considered vunerable  but never once considered hiding away let's just get on with things! 

I'm also sick to death of hearing about it 24/7/365!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Raffles said:

I meant stopping the spread within. Now the UK is taking additional measures, it would make sense to consider the same measures here.

We have no omicron and the spread is being managed pretty well from what I can see.

Politely: piss off.

• Haha 1