IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, Danoo said:

You are always going to create variants, whether you let it rip or hide it away in a box for a while and then let it escape slowly. We have lived with endemic coronaviruses that mutate themselves into homeostasis for millenia, nothing different here. 

This one is very different my old bean.

This one arrived during the era of 24 hour news and social media.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding omicron, would we know about it if it weren't for genome sequencing?

May seem like a stupid question, but it isn't really.  We found out about the original SARS-CoV-2 from some observant doctors in Wuhan noticing a sudden uptick in unusual respiratory disease incidence with some different clinical features.  The virus was then detected.  For omicron we've done it in reverse.  It's been sequenced, and the only difference so far is in the sequence of letters in its RNA.  There hasn't been a noticeable increase in hospital admissions, or a difference in symptoms as far as I know.  And perhaps, and I'm not trying to sound tin-foil-hat-flat-earth-nutcase here, the increase in cases is because more have been tested, worried that they've got the new strain?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Regarding omicron, would we know about it if it weren't for genome sequencing?

May seem like a stupid question, but it isn't really.  We found out about the original SARS-CoV-2 from some observant doctors in Wuhan noticing a sudden uptick in unusual respiratory disease incidence with some different clinical features.  The virus was then detected.  For omicron we've done it in reverse.  It's been sequenced, and the only difference so far is in the sequence of letters in its RNA.  There hasn't been a noticeable increase in hospital admissions, or a difference in symptoms as far as I know.  And perhaps, and I'm not trying to sound tin-foil-hat-flat-earth-nutcase here, the increase in cases is because more have been tested, worried that they've got the new strain?

Speaking about noticing changes and testing more... do you know why the swabbing team are only swabbing cheeks and nostril now and not the back of the throat and nostril? Half a dozen people that I know have had PCR tests over the last couple of weeks, 4 of them with positive LFDs, all symptomatic, all of them received a negative PCR tests and all had a cheek swab rather than throat. 

If vaccinated people have mild symptoms of Omicron and are not that arsed about or put it down to a cold as with the time of year, I don’t think we (UK at present) would have noticed at all. There was always a prediction of more cases as the winter came around.

I suppose now it’s a chance to galvanise support for the booster program and extend the yoofs vacination. 

As Delta is highly transmissible, I am struggling to fathom how Omicron is much more transmissible. I keep seeing news reports about a person or persons in quarantine hotels managing to catch/spread the new variant yet not being in physical contact and socially distanced (separate rooms)

I guess the change in transmission may have alerted us to something being different to normal Rona but then again, we may just pass it off as winter again.

32 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Speaking about noticing changes and testing more... do you know why the swabbing team are only swabbing cheeks and nostril now and not the back of the throat and nostril? Half a dozen people that I know have had PCR tests over the last couple of weeks, 4 of them with positive LFDs, all symptomatic, all of them received a negative PCR tests and all had a cheek swab rather than throat. 

I had nose and throat done last Monday.  Nose still isnt right lol 

Edited by Numbnuts

42 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I have had six pCRs since this all began, and none have involved them putting anything anywhere near my mouth.  All nose only

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I guess it just depends on who's swabbing you. Odd though that they're swabbing cheeks at all though. I wondered if they've changed tests obviously not if they did the back of your throat.

Dont know as this was the first of any type of test I've had since all this kicked off. 

30 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I have had six pCRs since this all began, and none have involved them putting anything anywhere near my mouth.  All nose only

The local one I had was nose and throat. Some others I had elsewhere were less thorough. 

10 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Is there a manxforums christmas party this year? It's just that i have not heard much mention of it, i usually get an invite as part of my contract for posting on here. This year no mention. Nothing

I’ve heard it’s in your mouth & everyone’s cu …..

Sorry, I’ve not seen it mentioned.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1