IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

Waiting patiently for the good Dr to wade in with her chastising of the NHS lab etc etc

Really? Our self-serving buffoons in charge politically and in the DHSC / Manx Care could have had the sequencing results of the two cases reported today by tomorrow thanks to what you call ''the good Dr''

Instead the samples will be sent to the UK and it will take around ten days for them to know the results.

The people in charge are really clever. Morons aren't they?

But you and almost everyone else are just meekly accepting the blatant insanity.

Edited by Cassie2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Really? Our self-serving buffoons in charge politically and in the DHSC / Manx Care could have had the sequencing results of the two cases reported today by tomorrow thanks to what you call ''the good Dr''

Instead the samples will be sent to the UK and it will take around ten days for them to know the results.

The people in charge are really clever. Morons aren't they?

But you and almost everyone else are just meekly accepting the blatant insanity.

Why would this be a good thing?  What would it change exactly?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Newbie said:

What is your evidence for that? These two cases have been detected because they exhibit s gene target failure in the PCR test, and genomic sequencing will be needed to confirm for sure that they are the Omicron variant (although it is apparently highly likely that they are). The point is though that if previous positive samples had shown the s gene target failure characteristic of Omicron, the lab would know about it.

You're partly correct but also partly wrong. The daily test that is carried out on all swabs submitted for PCR isn't the same one used by the UK - it can't detect S-gene target failure (SGTF). There is only one commercial COVID PCR test that exhibits that particular quirk and the hospital lab don't use it. 

However, a small number of positive cases from the entire week's worth of positives are tested with an entirely separate panel of (variant) PCR tests which give a hint of what variant it might be. So, no, they wouldn't have seen it before now and the lab wouldn't have known about it. Two tests out of the very small number getting variant testing showed a hint of omicron. In 10 days they'll know for sure after the UK lab finishes the genome sequencing. There are hundreds of positive tests each week which do not get the variant PCR test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Knowledge always helps. 

Why else would they want results at all - why would they even send the samples across for results?

Don’t know.  Seems pretty pointless really.  A positive test is a positive test.

Personally I can’t wait for when we get back to seeing how you feel and behaving accordingly.  

Feel well enough to go out? Fill your boots.

Feel I’ll need to stay home? Crack on then.

Like people have for as long as I can remember.

So many people not allowed to work and earn t the moment when they feel fine.  No wonder people aren’t bothering with tests.

If I got a positive lateral flow and felt ok there is no way I would fess up and go for a PCR and forced isolation.  I would just adjust my behaviour accordingly 

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Don’t know.  Seems pretty pointless really.  A positive test is a positive test.

Personally I can’t wait for when we get back to seeing how you feel and behaving accordingly.  

So many people not allowed to work and earn t the moment when they feel fine.  No wonder people aren’t bothering with tests.

If I got a positive lateral flow and felt ok there is no way I would fess up and go for a PCR and forced isolation.  I would just adjust my behaviour accordingly 

You said ''Don’t know.'' That is all that needs to be said as regards your expertise in this hugely complex and skilled area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, rachomics said:

You're partly correct but also partly wrong. The daily test that is carried out on all swabs submitted for PCR isn't the same one used by the UK - it can't detect S-gene target failure (SGTF). There is only one commercial COVID PCR test that exhibits that particular quirk and the hospital lab don't use it. 

However, a small number of positive cases from the entire week's worth of positives are tested with an entirely separate panel of (variant) PCR tests which give a hint of what variant it might be. So, no, they wouldn't have seen it before now and the lab wouldn't have known about it. Two tests out of the very small number getting variant testing showed a hint of omicron. In 10 days they'll know for sure after the UK lab finishes the genome sequencing. There are hundreds of positive tests each week which do not get the variant PCR test. 

Thanks for the info

35 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not really.  A positive Omicron test, if not picked up by govts random sampling, allows the infected person to potentially infect their household.  They are free to roam for ten days and carry on spreading it.  Hence having a quick turn around and genomic testing and confirmation of variant of all samples greatly reduces the impact on society.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

No, but I do believe governments have great difficulty relinquishing power once they have assumed it and will go to great lengths to retain it.

Doctors and scientists similarly like the limelight and exposure as it helps boost their profiles and ultimately their careers. 

The Covid scaremongering has gone too far. It has to stop. 

By Easter, omicron will have been proven to be little more than a common cold. Mark my words. 

I think that’s a fundamentally naive view. We are past the age of needing to tell everyone to wear masks to exert any form of control. 

Trillion dollar companies exist based on marketing the data they collect about you. Governments around the world hoover up this data too.

Even in the 70s and 80s, special branch had lists of “subversives” to round up if needed in a run up to say, a war those subversives may protest. To quote “in 1978, the Home Secretary decided that a 'subversive' was
anyone who sought this through 'political, industrial or violent means'-a much wider definition (which is very close to that of the Army Counter Revolutionary Operations Manual), covering anyone whose activities, lawful or not challenges the system.”

In 1974, there were exercises in Heathrow just to get people used to the idea of troops on the streets. 

The document itself quotes a US congressman a decade prior to its publication with “we can tranquilize, impede, immobilise, harass, shock, upset, stupefy, nauseate, chill, temporarily blind, deafen or just plain scare the wits out of anyone the police have a proper need to control”

https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/110194.pdf

Control isn’t anything new, and there’s no need to draw out a pandemic to try and implement new measures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

And that attitude is why Covid is still spreading faster than it used to 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Is it?  It spread far faster before then it is now, and who cares anyway?

I care. More people care than don't. You're the minority. This, devil-may-care, silly macho attitude, this literal bravado you churn out makes you look ridiculous.

Idiot. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1