IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

But have things really changed that much? The only difference is that information is much more available and readily handed over.

The reality is, in society where everything operates on a just in time model, something like COVID is fundamentally a perfect storm. Not deadly enough to burn itself out, but problematic enough to overwhelm at a national level when you get a flare up. 

SA also has a population where many have had COVID in previous waves. 

What we know is that Omicron is much more transmissible with a much higher chance of reinfection. The question at scale is whether the smaller proportion of people likely to become seriously ill is still enough to overwhelm care capacity. 

A single COVID patient in for 9 days might delay as many operations that would need that ICU bed as a contingency. Operations are being cancelled left right and centre as a result. We can’t build more hospitals and train more staff overnight. 

Your last paragraph is nonsense.

That might have been the case when this all started but every hospital in the world likely now has covid patients in it (people who test positive) so the world has adapted 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Your last paragraph is nonsense.

That might have been the case when this all started but every hospital in the world likely now has covid patients in it (people who test positive) so the world has adapted 

It isn’t unfortunately. 

Operations are being cancelled in volumes, primarily because of unvaccinated COVID sufferers taking up intensive care beds. 

These beds need to be free for operations to take place, as a contingency or recovery area.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/doctors-and-nurses-vent-anger-as-unvaccinated-covid-cases-delay-vital-operations-z3zchvv9l

In some cases, this can tip the balance between operable and inoperable cancers.

Non pay walled link here: https://archive.ph/zvCZf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It isn’t unfortunately. 

Operations are being cancelled in volumes, primarily because of unvaccinated COVID sufferers taking up intensive care beds. 

These beds need to be free for operations to take place, as a contingency or recovery area.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/doctors-and-nurses-vent-anger-as-unvaccinated-covid-cases-delay-vital-operations-z3zchvv9l

In some cases, this can tip the balance between operable and inoperable cancers.

Non pay walled link here: https://archive.ph/zvCZf

On the Isle of Man?  I really don’t think so

Am I the only one who now is just fed up to the teeth with all the constant discussions on Covid and variants. Even on here people are almost falling out over arguments and different opinions. Yes , it can have lasting effects and for some they sadly die. But people die of something every day and life goes on. Personally , up to recently, have worked without much disruption and certainly in the big picture it wasn't a hardship compared to many other situations I've been in over the years. Kept my head down , used a lot of common sense and haven't let all the panic and retoric get the better of me. Lets be honest , theres a very small risk , and it is small , of dying if really unlucky and a big chance you will catch Covid some time along the way. Does it justify this paranoia that many people push out there to promote their agenda. No it doesnt . Are many , on here also , giving it far to much attention and concern. I think so. All that's needed in the majority of cases is to engage our brain and act accordingly. Up to now I have been lucky I guess as only had one test , on return from holiday last Saturday, while many have had umpteen LFT tests along with PCR . I get with families and the likes this might be necessary but there's such a fear factor out there that it prays on peoples minds till they feel they must test more and more. This time of year we get flu. How many people are mistaking Flu for possible Covid ?. I get why vunerable will feel just that but its gone to far. Hopefully if its proven that this new variant is mild as suggested some of this over reaction will relent and we can quickly get back to normal life as quick as possible. Commonsense is needed in bucketfulls so businesses , families and the likes can get back to a near normal existence. With Xmas on the horizon too we need a happy one with minimum disruption for everyones sake . Sorry for a long post !  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

This time of year we get flu. How many people are mistaking Flu for possible Covid ?

If they are taking LFD's and then a PCR then they won't be. 

The issue is simple: more people end up in hospital with covid than flu; these people need staff to look after them; these staff are taken off their ordinary duties; a reduced number of staff are performing their ordinary duties; ordinary hospital services suffer. We also have nursing shortages at the hospital already. The Island will struggle with a wave where everyone gets sick at once and that small minority of people, that would ordinarily end up in hospital with COVID over a 6 week period with Delta, all need hospital treatment in the same week. Plan for the worst, hope for the best 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

If they are taking LFD's and then a PCR then they won't be. 

The issue is simple: more people end up in hospital with covid than flu; these people need staff to look after them; these staff are taken off their ordinary duties; a reduced number of staff are performing their ordinary duties; ordinary hospital services suffer. We also have nursing shortages at the hospital already. The Island will struggle with a wave where everyone gets sick at once and that small minority of people, that would ordinarily end up in hospital with COVID over a 6 week period with Delta, all need hospital treatment in the same week. Plan for the worst, hope for the best 

Like so many other people you are basing your thinking on the situation 2 years ago.

Do you have any data to support the fact that in January 2022 with most people vaccinated and the milder omicron being (probably) the dominant strain more people end up in hospital with COVID than flu?

Any one even slightly vulnerable who wants to be will be boosted by the end of this month.  What’s the stress? The odds of getting seriously ill now unless you are unjabbed or already very old and/or ill from something else is minute.

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Tiresome, speculative, same old same old bullshit.

You're the worst troll on this board. 

Why is it bullshit?  It is exactly what a huge number of people are thinking.

The same few sad people stressing about COVID here, on Facebook and Twitter are reflective of a tiny portion of the general population.

People simply don’t care anymore.

As to you last point- Thanks!  I am not sure that simply having a different opinion to you makes someone a troll though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

On the Isle of Man?  I really don’t think so

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Why is it bullshit?  It is exactly what a huge number of people are thinking.

The same few sad people stressing about COVID here, on Facebook and Twitter are reflective of a tiny portion of the general population.

People simply don’t care anymore.

As to you last point- Thanks!  I am not sure that simply having a different opinion to you makes someone a troll though?

You, either, don’t think, or you don’t research. Worse, you believe your own bullshit and propagandise it.

Your opinion, for what it’s worth, covid is having no effect at Nobles, it’s running as normal.

Fact. There’s a fully staffed ward dedicated to Covid taking beds and staff away from the rest of us.

Fact. Most elective operative procedures are cancelled, certainly in orthopaedics. Anything involving an overnight stay, rather than being a day case.

You know what, that impinges on us all. And, guess what, I care. And I’m not alone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1