IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

In light of the insanity being brought in in England next week I hope you 'get the borders open NOW' people reassess your thoughts. Just chill out and recognise how fucking blessed we are to be here. Just means more waiting, but at least its not waiting outside Tesco in the rain.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

In light of the insanity being brought in in England next week I hope you 'get the borders open NOW' people reassess your thoughts. Just chill out and recognise how fucking blessed we are to be here. Just means more waiting, but at least its not waiting outside Tesco in the rain.

Who here has demanded opening the borders now? Largely it has been about introducing science and research based ways of facilitating travel for islanders and others via introducing effective testing and tracking systems. Not by locking people up for 14 days whether they even have the virus or not and not even being bothered to test them to see if they are even a remote risk to anyone else or not. 

3 hours ago, Apple said:

On Sky news earlier this evening a Professor of Public Health stated his vision in the UK with respect to the increases in cases there. He knows more than me, and probably more than some on the island.

He stated that all people aged 60 years old and over, irrespective of any underlying conditions, will need to isolate themselves at some point.

As Mrs A and I are in that category that really concerns me, especially as Mrs A continues to work so really hope that is not being considered here. 

No, not a conspiracy theorist, but just trying to make sense of all this and do the right thing by my family both on and off island. 

I’m it that category and I don’t think it matters. I’d just ignore it as it’s basically unconstitutional. People should make there own risk assessment and act accordingly. But sorry , no politician is going to tell me to stay indoors.

• Like 2

Today there is a race meeting in Doncaster in the UK with 3,500 people expected to attend. Next Monday no more than 6 people at social gatherings. Even the mayor of Doncaster is concerned at this ( and indicates probably would stop it if they could). So if the virus can just hold on for a few more days.......

Boris back at podium later.

Edited by Apple
bit added
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Are you saying its unstoppable?

I’m saying it’s uncontrollable.

The messages are unclear, people are not complying, the virus will not disappear.

We cannot stay in this state of suspension on the Island & hope it’s going away.

It’s not. We’ve got to find a way of living with it.

• Like 2

Jersey now approaching 100,000 tests.

10 active cases, zero hospital admissions & zero deaths in 10 weeks since reopening.

They are showing how an Island can control & mitigate virus transmission whilst allowing a ‘new normal’ life to continue.

We don’t even know who’s advising our Government.

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m saying it’s uncontrollable.

The messages are unclear, people are not complying, the virus will not disappear.

We cannot stay in this state of suspension on the Island & hope it’s going away.

It’s not. We’ve got to find a way of living with it.

Well, you're certainly right about the messaging being unclear. One of the most serious problems this pandemic has shown is the appalling decision making and ability to communicate properly by global leadership.

And hoping it goes away is not sustainable either. So yeah, we do need to find a way. Got any proposals? Cos going back to SD isn't really a good option either. I'd like to think that there is serious work going on behind the scenes, I know we have a contact tracing team, I hope they've had enough time now to really know what they're doing, and how to do it. There is a risk, as I've said before, that our apparent 'success' may have risked an element of complacency, I hope that's not the case.

With cases on the rise again across Europe it is clear that the travel risk has increased significantly over the last few weeks, keeping it restricted with isolation is obviously the best defense we've got, but it's not perfect. I don't have the answers of how to live with it, got any decent proposals?

• Like 2