IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Tell you something, IF omicron turns out bad then the UK are in for a storm. I’m there now - in Birmingham city centre it’s busy, about 50% masks in shops, nothing in bars and restaurants, and I’m right now at a gig with a thousand others - no masks in sight. A cursory check of covid pass or negative LFT on the way in. That’s all. 

enjoy.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, opusManx said:

In the spirit of blatantly tangential and excessively verbose posting, I would like to express the view that there entirely far too few emoji options to do this thread justice.

To be honest I am not a fan of emojis ( although I admit to having employed them myself on occasion) 

If you have something to say, say it, not rely on a yellow faced cartoon type character to do it for you whose meaning can be misunderstood.

I have always thought they were the preserve of teenagers to try and suggest they are more clever than they actually are . 🤪

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

To be honest I am not a fan of emojis ( although I admit to having employed them myself on occasion) 

If you have something to say, say it, not rely on a yellow faced cartoon type character to do it for you whose meaning can be misunderstood.

I have always thought they were the preserve of teenagers to try and suggest they are more clever than they actually are . 🤪

I think they suggest how lazy I actually am. I view them as non-commital abbreviations. (winking emoji goes...>>>here: x)

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Tell you something, IF omicron turns out bad then the UK are in for a storm. I’m there now - in Birmingham city centre it’s busy, about 50% masks in shops, nothing in bars and restaurants, and I’m right now at a gig with a thousand others - no masks in sight. A cursory check of covid pass or negative LFT on the way in. That’s all. 

Oh dear. Hopefully you're not adopting a certain posters ethic and not bothering to wear one because no one else is...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, opusManx said:

I think they suggest how lazy I actually am. I view them as non-commital abbreviations. (winking emoji goes...>>>here: x)

Yes you’re quite right. They are for lazy people who can’t be bothered to explain themselves.

If someone makes a post why not just say:-

I agree with you

I don’t agree with you

I don’t understand what you are saying

And say why?

A possible exception is the laughing emoji which is less open to interpretation ( “I find what you say is funny”) but even so you could use words to give the author a compliment as to why you find their post humorous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes you’re quite right. They are for lazy people who can’t be bothered to explain themselves.

If someone makes a post why not just say:-

I agree with you

I don’t agree with you

I don’t understand what you are saying

And say why?

A possible exception is the laughing emoji which is less open to interpretation ( “I find what you say is funny”) but even so you could use words to give the author a compliment as to why you find their post humorous.

🤔

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Racist!!!!!!

Rather than using the laughing emoji, as advised elsewhere, I am saying I found your post humourous because you implied the previous poster was racist when in fact he wasn't. By exagerating his reference to skin colour of those emojis based on the iconic "happy face", you made an absurd assertion and absurdity is the basis of much humour. Didn't want to be presumed to be lazy (or efficient) by just clicking on the laughing emoji. Keep 'em coming boi...oh! that sounds like "boy"...Racist!!!

Edited by opusManx

19 minutes ago, opusManx said:

Rather than using the laughing emoji, as advised elsewhere, I am saying I found your post humourous because you implied the previous poster was racist when in fact he wasn't. By exagerating his reference to skin colour of those emojis based on the iconic "happy face", you made an absurd assertion and absurdity is he basis of much humour. Didn't want to be presumed to be lazy (or efficient) by just clicking on the laughing emoji. Keep 'em coming boi...oh! that sounds like "boy"...Racist!!!

Haha

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Confused

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And the party that couldn’t give a fuck about anyone else.

It seems there is a first time for everything. I have never whole heartedly agreed with you before. But today, I do agree with what you said about the Tories. The 'party of money and power' strongly believe that they should have the right to do whatever they want regardless of whether it helps or harms anyone else. 

12 hours ago, pongo said:

It's the middle classes and business who pay the bills. 

When their mates in the banks mis-sold payment protection insurance to small businesses it was the Tory Chancellor who moved heaven and earth to undermine justice for those businesses, and to skimp on compensation. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well, according to "vaccine expert Shabir Mahdi of the University of the Witwatersrand, who has led vaccine trials in the country, and [who]warned that South Africa’s experience of Omicron might not be a reliable indicator for how the Omicron outbreak unfolds in other countries."

Addressing the issue of whether Omicron is “milder” than other previous variants, Mahdi said the high levels of previous exposure meant that experts were “simply unable to make a meaningful head to head comparison of virulence with omicron in comparison with the other variants.

“[That is] imply because of the underpinning of immunity that currently exists which is different to what existed in the past, and that immunity is going to bring about some change in the clinical course of the infection, including the likelihood of infection progressing to severe disease.”

Which was the point I was making.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, given the high level of protection from vaccine plus booster and prior infection in the UK and here (the antigen levels in the UK are higher than in SA even) but it makes comparisons difficult.

Still I'm sure you know much better than him.