IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

We are ALL entitled, for now to make our own decisions while out and about in public. They may not be the decisions you might choose make but they are the decision of someone after making their own risk assessment.

That is how a healthy society works, with mutual respect. 

The alternative is to become a victim of ‘learned helplessness’ and look to the state to micro manage every decision until ‘learned helplessness’ becomes just ordinary old ‘helplessness’.

The biggest part of living with it is living with it. People will, in the main do the right thing. There will ALWAYS be exceptions but we should be careful of judging or worse, deriding the ones who do their best as they see fit for much of the time.

Infantalism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

We are ALL entitled, for now to make our own decisions while out and about in public. They may not be the decisions you might choose make but they are the decision of someone after making their own risk assessment.

That is how a healthy society works, with mutual respect. 

The alternative is to become a victim of ‘learned helplessness’ and look to the state to micro manage every decision until ‘learned helplessness’ becomes just ordinary old ‘helplessness’.

The biggest part of living with it is living with it. People will, in the main do the right thing. There will ALWAYS be exceptions but we should be careful of judging or worse, deriding the ones who do their best as they see fit for much of the time.

In today's presser stung by Peston's questions that nice Chris Whitty stated that he hoped folks would prioritise what was important to them. This was in contrast to Bozo's "Work from home, enjoy xmas with friends and family" bollox.

It was also at odds with Wrighty's recent experiences in Brum.

NEVER, EVER underestimate the UK fuckwit factor...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

I suppose that as these types of events are permitted to happen now, people make their own risk assessment. I agree with you, I wouldn't be going to such an event right now. Not whilst omicron is still an unknown. But wrighty and others probably booked tickets before this.

My employer is trying to get us to cancel our Christmas dinner ffs. The risk when seated in a restaurant is much smaller, but several of my colleagues have pulled out 'just in case'. Others have said they'll eat but will go home immediately after. 

There are 10 in hospital and 2 in ICU now, which is worrying. 

I agree people have to make their own risk assessments. 

The point I'm making is that should Wrighty - or indeed any other doctor - knowingly put himself at risk for infection when his subsequent isolation will impact on people through having their appointments or surgery cancelled? Appointments or surgery for which they probably waited ages? I

We all know what the waiting lists are like here. NDP said above, "This pandemic has properly messed with minds."

Waiting lists mess with people's minds - and bodies - too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zarley said:

I agree people have to make their own risk assessments. 

The point I'm making is that should Wrighty - or indeed any other doctor - knowingly put himself at risk for infection when his subsequent isolation will impact on people through having their appointments or surgery cancelled? Appointments or surgery for which they probably waited ages? I

We all know what the waiting lists are like here. NDP said above, "This pandemic has properly messed with minds."

Waiting lists mess with people's minds - and bodies - too. 

Well educated and fully grown up adult in making his own life decisions shocker.

What about teachers?  Dentists?  Should they all be wasting their lives as well "just in case"?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Well educated and fully grown up adult in making his own life decisions shocker.

What about teachers?  Dentists?  Should they all be wasting their lives as well "just in case"?

Give me a break.

If your kid had to stay off school because their teacher went to a crowded gig and didn't even bother to wear a mask, you'd be screaming bloody murder. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Give me a break.

If your kid had to stay off school because their teacher went to a crowded gig and didn't even bother to wear a mask, you'd be screaming bloody murder. 

No I wouldn’t.  My kids have missed loads of classes lately because of staff shortages.

Every pub and club on the island had loads of unmasked teachers/Drs etc in it at the weekend and why shouldn’t they?

I am stuck at home myself today because a close contact tested positive.  I don’t need to but I am for a few days and doing LFTs each day.  I am out and about as I see fit like walking by the dog but will avoid crowded spaces for a few days.

It is the way of the world at the moment and nobody needs to be limiting the leisure time.  Any one of us could be dead by the end of the week for any number of reasons.

33 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Well NPM and 3FM both reported 1.

The Dashboard only reports 1, so it's likely the IOM Newspapers story contains a typo.  But it's the first time we've seen someone in ICU (this was actually first reported yesterday) for some time as is the fact that the number in hospital is back in double figures.

These will likely all be Delta cases, it's probably too early for us to see any Omicron ones yet.  But people should be cautious in assuming that Omicron will somehow supplant Delta - the variants may be too different from each other, so it's possible to have epidemics of both types at the same time.

There was another interesting FT Twitter Spaces broadcast today which contains some interesting information:

Edited to add:  Twitter seem to have changed the way they link these, so you'll need to click on the FT tweet above to open it separately and then hit Play Recording.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No I wouldn’t.  

It is the way of the world at the moment and nobody needs to be limiting the leisure time.  Any one of us could be dead by the end of the week for any number of reasons.

Like failing to take simple precautions against Covid?

10 hours ago, opusManx said:

Further to your point, in my research of U.K/IOM banks prior to moving from Canada, I found that the entire U.K. and IOM banking sector had been downgraded by Moody's from "stable" to "negative" in December of 2019 (i.e. prior to advent of the COVID pandemic). No U.K. headquartered bank is in the top 100 of rated banks other than HSBC (based on either Moody's or Fitch ratings). Brexit was specifically cited as the reason. (Remember: Don't shoot the messenger.)

Yet you still came? 

You are one brave and courageous person. I take my hat off to you.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Like failing to take simple precautions against Covid?

If you are talking about ending up dead then we all know that for anyone who isn’t very old or vulnerable then the odds from COVID have always been minuscule and are decreasing all the time.

For a man my age and health the odds of being killed doing my hobbies are higher and I won’t be giving those up either

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I agree - they should not be ‘wasting their lives’.

Being a teacher should (ideally) be a calling, not a hobby. A teacher friend of mine (in the UK) cancelled their trip abroad to visit their parents because they feared that they might come back with Covid and would then have to self-isolate, thus missing their classes. This would not only ‘inconvenience’ their students but will also put additional pressure on their colleagues. Many years ago, my father (doctor) was on our second/third day of a holiday when an earthquake happened in his place of work – a hospital.  He took the first flight back to be with his patients and colleagues.

IMHO, it is about their sense of public duty and their dedication to the cause of serving the people who depend on them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1