IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, code99 said:

I agree - they should not be ‘wasting their lives’.

Being a teacher should (ideally) be a calling, not a hobby. A teacher friend of mine (in the UK) cancelled their trip abroad to visit their parents because they feared that they might come back with Covid and would then have to self-isolate, thus missing their classes. This would not only ‘inconvenience’ their students but will also put additional pressure on their colleagues. Many years ago, my father (doctor) was on our second/third day of a holiday when an earthquake happened in his place of work – a hospital.  He took the first flight back to be with his patients and colleagues.

IMHO, it is about their sense of public duty and their dedication to the cause of serving the people who depend on them.

In which case I assume they should all be banned from riding motorcycles or doing downhill mountain biking or going skiing  in case they hurt themselves?

What a load of crap.  Cancelling a trip to see parents who you might never get a chance to see again just in case you have to isolate and leave you pupils with a supply teacher for a week is a bit weird in my opinion.  Especially since teachers can easily set work remotely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

In which case I assume they should all be banned from riding motorcycles or doing downhill mountain biking or going skiing  in case they hurt themselves?

What a load of crap.  Cancelling a trip to see parents who you might never get a chance to see again just in case you have to isolate and leave you pupils with a supply teacher for a week is a bit weird in my opinion.  Especially since teachers can easily set work remotely.

Oh my. I agree with Ramseyboi.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

If you are talking about ending up dead then we all know that for anyone who isn’t very old or vulnerable then the odds from COVID have always been minuscule and are decreasing all the time.

For a man my age and health the odds of being killed doing my hobbies are higher and I won’t be giving those up either

No they are not.

A lifelong friends son caught Delta. A very fit 30 yo ended up in ICU.

That's the thing about Covid. There's just no telling...

Fancy you not knowing that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No they are not.

A lifelong friends son caught Delta. A very fit 30 yo ended up in ICU.

That's the thing about Covid. There's just no telling...

Fancy you not knowing that...

That is very sad.

Your personal experience would be very much against the statistics or most other people experience.

Maybe that is skewing your thought process?

You being aware of one anomaly doesn’t really alter the odds unfortunately.

If a bloke I knew won the lottery, that wouldn’t mean we all would

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Declan said:

Maybe Wrighty was at an all-seater sparsely attended gig (the Darkness are on tour after all). That’s probably going to be an ok amount of risk.

21 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Thanks Declan - that proper made me laugh.

I clearly have a stalker! Standing gig, well attended, not quite into the mosh pit (which someone tried to start in “I believe in a thing called love” before being chinned by a rugby-prop type who wasn’t in the mood for being pushed around) as I was there with my kids - 1st time seeing The Darkness for my youngest.  She loved it!

Didn’t expect my report back on what’s happening in Birmingham to turn into a discussion on the morality of health workers having a life instead of staying locked up at home in case they get covid and can’t look after the rest of the population.  I’ve been following the rules I have to. I’m currently on annual leave across visiting family. I’m certainly not going to book an additional 10 days off for when I get back, in case I get covid, which I’m just as likely to do staying at home - I was in Jaks last Friday too as my mates’ band were on. Anyone who thinks doctors, nurses, therapists, police, paramedics etc. Should be effectively self-isolating between shifts and not living, just so everyone else can, is deluded. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

it used to be said that if you could do three winters then you’d be here for life. Mind, that was in the days when just about everything shut for the winter. And then they opened up for two weeks at Easter and shut again till TT week!  There’s a lot more to Do these days in the winter but still, it will be interesting to see what you make of it. 

Sounds very much like you're just describing the last year and a half.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Anyone who thinks doctors, nurses, therapists, police, paramedics etc. Should be effectively self-isolating between shifts and not living, just so everyone else can, is deluded. 

Any yet apparently the government thought the steam packet staff were doing just that for about a year 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Haha 2