IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

51 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

And Ashford’s point by point rebuttal. I wonder if that’s when he finally realised he was being misinformed. 

The Steam Packet and the Rebuttal episodes caused major shifts in my trust in the last government.  It was shambolic and shameful, really. We will never know the truth behind either debacle. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The Steam Packet and the Rebuttal episodes caused major shifts in my trust in the last government.  It was shambolic and shameful, really. We will never know the truth behind either debacle. 

Yes agree , and not forgetting Ashford's mate whos had Covid 6 times , was it ? , and the infamous lettergate ...lying tow rags all of them . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Restrictions/mitigation is being used willy nilly by the UK to cover up how bad the NHS has been run for so many years. I wonder how many people isolating are actually sick. I have said it further up the thread that it is the government guidelines on Isolation that will cause the issues rather than actual illness

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Restrictions/mitigation is being used willy nilly by the UK to cover up how bad the NHS has been run for so many years. I wonder how many people isolating are actually sick. I have said it further up the thread that it is the government guidelines on Isolation that will cause the issues rather than actual illness

Watched the briefing last night.

Whole strategy is based on hospitilisations being same rate as delta (milder, but transmitting faster).

Then Whitty says we don’t know hospitilisation and mortality rate (too early). 

So, in two weeks time with more data, I hope advice will be updated, if that is the case.

Edited by 747-400
typo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Zarley said:

I agree people have to make their own risk assessments. 

The point I'm making is that should Wrighty - or indeed any other doctor - knowingly put himself at risk for infection when his subsequent isolation will impact on people through having their appointments or surgery cancelled? Appointments or surgery for which they probably waited ages? I

We all know what the waiting lists are like here. NDP said above, "This pandemic has properly messed with minds."

Waiting lists mess with people's minds - and bodies - too. 

Can't believe I am reading this. We clearly no longer have a society anymore. Just a collection of individuals who think others should sacrifice living so they can carry on regardless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

Anyone who thinks doctors, nurses, therapists, police, paramedics etc. Should be effectively self-isolating between shifts and not living, just so everyone else can, is deluded. 

Fair enough. I apologise if my previous comments came across as impertinent; that was not my intention.

I am certainly not deluded about the length of the IOM’s health service waiting lists. If I or members of my family develop serious hip/knee problems, we will have little choice but to go private, no matter how much that costs. That will most likely mean going off-Island to have medical treatment, unfortunately, the option of going private is not affordable to everyone.

Just because the general public has stopped clapping ‘our NHS heroes’, it does not mean that NHS has stopped being staffed by heroes. It is utterly clear that over the last 18 months many medical professionals have made many sacrifices in their private lives so that they can better serve their patients. They don’t self-isolate between the shifts unless they are required to. Nevertheless, many of them have considerably ‘modified’ their leisure activities. Somebody said to me that doctors and nurses (in London) are still behaving as if they are continuously fighting in some invisible war; i.e., Covid is an invisible enemy and is still destroying peoples’ lives and livelihoods and is still causing an enormous amount of grief and despair around the world. The only historically comparable events to them are indeed wars, where endless streams of wounded soldiers were carried into hospitals and many never walked out.

That is all I have to say on this subject.

• Thanks 2

I'm getting really frustrated about the incompetence of the Manx Government's vaccine roll-out. 

For some reason, despite registering at the first opportunity, I was the back of the queue for the first jab - people 10 or 15 years younger than me got jabbed before me. This left me trapped inside in May because there were unmasked people around me. (And don't forget the island was a month behind starting the vaccination programme!)

This put me at the back of the queue for the second jab and I barely got the COVID passport updated in time for a trip across in September because of their dithering. 

Now, I'm still at the back of the queue - and going backwards. I registered for the booster last week - appointment in January. I hear today though someone who registered yesterday - has an appointment today!

Meanwhile, every over 18 in England who wants a booster will have one by the end of the year. 

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

it’s probably down to the required time intervals between each jab but if you’re within the time schedule then ring up and ask for an earlier appointment. If you’re really wanting one sooner then make the point that you’ve made here. 

They’re doing 1000 a day right now so if you’re within the time frame I’m sure they’d fit you in. 

The people who got the appointment for today got their first jab the same day as me.

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

Meanwhile, every over 18 in England who wants a booster will have one by the end of the year. 

Not quite.  The official line now is:

The NHS vaccination programme will offer every adult the chance to book a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the end of the year in a race to protect the nation against the Omicron variant.

Which after all is no more than you've been offered.  Apparently Boris exaggerated a little.  Who'd have thought it?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

In that case then get on the blower. There’s no point to n experiencing frustration when there’s a solution. 

I did ring an got an appointment for this week. 

They actively tell you not to ring - but that's the way to get a better service. Utter corruption! And you shouldn't need to ring up and complain to get  a better service. This isn't the 1980's. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Declan said:

I'm getting really frustrated about the incompetence of the Manx Government's vaccine roll-out. 

For some reason, despite registering at the first opportunity, I was the back of the queue for the first jab - people 10 or 15 years younger than me got jabbed before me. This left me trapped inside in May because there were unmasked people around me. (And don't forget the island was a month behind starting the vaccination programme!)

This put me at the back of the queue for the second jab and I barely got the COVID passport updated in time for a trip across in September because of their dithering. 

Now, I'm still at the back of the queue - and going backwards. I registered for the booster last week - appointment in January. I hear today though someone who registered yesterday - has an appointment today!

Same happened to me.  Wife is a couple of years older than me (yes I'm a toyboy).  

We both registered yesterday for boosters.  Me in the morning, her in the afternoon. 

Both got an appt for 5th Jan.  She then got an email last night with an appt for a couple of days! 

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not quite.  The official line now is:

The NHS vaccination programme will offer every adult the chance to book a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the end of the year in a race to protect the nation against the Omicron variant.

Which after all is no more than you've been offered.  Apparently Boris exaggerated a little.  Who'd have thought it?

My 25 year old daughter who lives in England spent 3 hours in a queue on the NHS booster booking website yesterday and got an appointment for 9th January 

8 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Same happened to me.  Wife is a couple of years older than me (yes I'm a toyboy).  

We both registered yesterday for boosters.  Me in the morning, her in the afternoon. 

Both got an appt for 5th Jan.  She then got an email last night with an appt for a couple of days! 

Did you both tick the box for cancellations?

I didn’t as I can’t just drop everything and need to plan in advance so had to accept a few weeks wait.  Friends who did are getting earlier spots as they crop up.