IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

In the light of the images being posted online it is clear there is a significant demand for a booster, which is great to see.  Why oh why does someone at Government not grab the bull by the horns and open alternative hubs, the secondary schools are now closed, have plenty of parking and would reduce traveling and queuing, just make it happen!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

what is with more restrictions when I though the whole point of boosters was to protect people and make a things less bad.  So if we are all going to be restricted what’s the point of getting the booster?

Perhaps because there is no single solution where multiple complex factors may be at play. Perhaps boosters and restrictions will be required.

It's going to be a mess if a large number of people are off sick all at the same time. Life could get quite difficult. Even if thanks to the vaccine they get over it within a few weeks.

57 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

In the light of the images being posted online it is clear there is a significant demand for a booster, which is great to see.  Why oh why does someone at Government not grab the bull by the horns and open alternative hubs, the secondary schools are now closed, have plenty of parking and would reduce traveling and queuing, just make it happen!

Well they had a pandemic plan but have failed to follow any of it at any time.  This included 4 hubs to administer antivirals.  The principles are still the same regardless of the virus.

Screenshot_20211218-113400.jpg

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

I believe healthy people queueing for a booster ahead of people that need one more  will consist of roughly the same people that camp out then trample over others at the new years sales. For this reason i'm heading down there later armed with rotten veg to hurl at the twats. 

I'd respectfully ask therefore, that anyone in possesion of an appointment should hold their right hand in the air as they approach the venue lest any unfortunate errors are made.  

Actually, cancel this, my arm is too sore to throw anything right now. How long does this pain last? Had the pfizer at 0801 this morning, hopefully the pain should subside as quicly as it arrived. Wouldn't mind but had the moderna in the other arm yesterday dinnertime, no pain whatsoever but i never could throw left handed.

Edited by the stinking enigma
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Actually, cancel this, my arm is too sore to throw anything right now. How long does this pain last? Had the pfizer at 0801 this morning, hopefully the pain should subside as quicly as it arrived. Wouldn't mind but had the moderna in the other arm yesterday dinnertime, no pain whatsoever but i never could throw left handed.

I had no issues on first two. Booster had a sore arm for 3 days.

Had no problems with two jabs and booster but it may not be a good thing as it has been reported that those with weak immune systems do not suffer as the immune system does not put up much of a fight.    There is so much crap being spouted atm that this may not be true but again it could be 🤫. When you think we were brought up to believe in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy it is no small wonder we absorb the written word like blotting paper.

• Like 1

A really easy to understand and helpful primer on why the vaccines need boosters, and why that’s helpful. 

https://reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/rij1bz/why_does_a_third_dose_of_mrna_vaccine_decrease/

Immunity isn't quite as specific as you are probably imagining it to be.  When you get a vaccine, your body makes a bunch of antibodies that respond to the antigen (in this case, the spike protein).  These antibodies come in a large variety of forms that are all a bit different from each other.  What they share is that they stick to the spike protein,  but they stick to different parts of it and they have different levels of "stickiness".
Shortly after vaccination, your antibody levels get very high.  Then they naturally decrease over time...this is a normal process and not just a thing related to covid vaccines.  However, the cells that make the antibodies stick around, and if you get a booster they are activated again and start dividing and pumping out more antibodies.  A sort of refining process also goes on after boosters, where antibodies that stick better to the spike protein get selected for, so the quality of antibodies goes up after another vaccine dose.
So how does this relate to vaccines and Omicron?  Well, to fully stop an infection from happening you have to have enough  neutralizing antibodies (the ones that stick well and block off the spike) in your blood to stick to the virus and prevent it from getting a foothold.  Omicron has a slightly different version of the spike protein, so on average the antibodies produced by the vaccine seem to stick to it less well than to the original spike.   But it's not an either-or thing, remember there are lots of different antibodies.  Some stick to parts of the spike protein that haven't been modified.  Some still stick, but are slightly less sticky.
What this means is that you can get a situation where, if you haven't had a booster you might not have enough antibodies that will stick to "omicron spike" to give you protection, even if you might have enough that would stick to "delta spike" that would give you protection.  But if you just got a booster, you will a) have many many more antibodies circulating in your blood and b) they will probably be higher quality, so you now might well have enough sticky ones to protect you from "omicron spike" and prevent you from getting infected.
Of course if you do get infected your body has other defense mechanisms besides circulating antibodies.  But someone else can talk about that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I didn’t say anything at the time, but the revelation from a poster that they have tested positive but have no intentions to isolate sickened me.

I said I would take appropriate measures, but not put myself into legally enforced isolation by doing a PCR.

so pub = no.  A walk on the beach with the dog = yes.

Common sense

• Sad 1

On 12/13/2021 at 4:10 PM, quilp said:

Taxi driver I know hates the mask-wearing. After the last lockdown he lost his income. He told me that he does an LFT every day but added that, because of losing his wage last time, if he tests positive with an LFT he's not going to isolate nor take a PCR test. I asked him whether, in that case, why do the LFT's every day and his reply was "so I know."

Make of that what you will.

23 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I think Quilp posted that a taxi driver he knew had tested positive but was still going to carry on taking fares. 

Not the same person but as someone else posted, he won't be the only one. He isn't.