IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Do you not think more cases are being picked up because the uk government have been asking people to test pretty much every time they leave the house? So in reality people have been having it but just didn't know.

Depends. Are all LFD-positive people ringing 111 and getting a PCR test to be included in the official numbers? Do they have a travel history that would red-flag them as ripe for inclusion in the tiny number of patients that then get another (variant-of-concern) PCR test in the lab to determine variant? Our numbers are always going to be a massive underestimation due to the selective criteria put in place in multiple places during the patient-to-result testing process.

My worry is that decisions are made on the basis of the numbers, and the numbers are biased. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Depends. Are all LFD-positive people ringing 111 and getting a PCR test to be included in the official numbers? Do they have a travel history that would red-flag them as ripe for inclusion in the tiny number of patients that then get another (variant-of-concern) PCR test in the lab to determine variant? Our numbers are always going to be a massive underestimation due to the selective criteria put in place in multiple places during the patient-to-result testing process.

My worry is that decisions are made on the basis of the numbers, and the numbers are biased. 

The other thing I was thinking for the last couple of months a particularly bad cold has been doing the rounds. The symptoms of omicron are pretty much that of a cold, could it be these colds could have been omicron covid but just wasn't picked up as the symptoms were different to previous strains. Basically is it likely this has been circulating for longer than we know about?

23 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The other thing I was thinking for the last couple of months a particularly bad cold has been doing the rounds. The symptoms of omicron are pretty much that of a cold, could it be these colds could have been omicron covid but just wasn't picked up as the symptoms were different to previous strains. Basically is it likely this has been circulating for longer than we know about?

Unlikely as it would have been picked up by a PCR test at some point and the genomics done on it (some people are going forward for PCRs with cold symptoms).

29 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Unlikely as it would have been picked up by a PCR test at some point and the genomics done on it (some people are going forward for PCRs with cold symptoms).

But over here they weren't doing genomic so wouldn't it just show up as positive for covid? I'm not sure what the tests show as I've not had one so could be talking rubbish

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

No.  Firstly the UK does a lot of genetic sequencing (and some other countries, such as Denmark even more).  A new variant would have been picked up - especially one that spreads so fast - probably even before it was detected in South Africa etc.

Secondly, those labs in the UK doing PCR with a method that does pick up S gene target failure (SGTF) would have noticed a big increase in these (there's a strong correlation with Omicron).  But previous to this month these were rare and on further sequencing usually turned out to be Delta.

The information on 12 possible cases came from Cannan's statement to Tynwald on Tuesday:

In terms of numbers, this morning I can say that a total of 12 possible cases have now been detected on the Island. Most are connected either directly or indirectly with travel to the Island, with evidence of household transmission having taken place, and further investigation is still needed in some cases. All affected individuals and their households, where they exist, have been isolated.

Though as Rachel points out this may be an underestimate if they are still only checking a small minority of positive PCRs on Island to see what variant they are.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In terms of numbers, this morning I can say that a total of 12 possible cases have now been detected on the Island. Most are connected either directly or indirectly with travel to the Island, with evidence of household transmission having taken place, and further investigation is still needed in some cases. All affected individuals and their households, where they exist, have been isolated.

Outbreak at king bills again according to the rumour mill.  Students returned from a trip abroad.

There is an article on the NPM this morning of Our Dear Leader meeting Michael Gove. He went to London end of November for 2 nights with 2 Civil Servants to meet Gove and the Irish Ambassador to the UK. The total price came to £1150.

For the avoidance of doubt I have no real issues with this, though it could have been conducted via video link. 

My concern is Our Dear Leader and his big announcements, the news conference, the attention seeker and the great need to be pleasing the restive politicos and the IOMNP Facebook group. Then he and flunkies promptly go to London, where Omicron is supposedly rife. The picture of ODL and Gove tells it all, no social distancing and certainly no facemasks, despite lecturing, and hectoring the GMP, leaving businesses to pick up the pieces. Not a wise move - and his Civil Servants can’t be the brightest either or perhaps they couldn’t give a toss?

27 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There is an article on the NPM this morning of Our Dear Leader meeting Michael Gove. He went to London end of November for 2 nights with 2 Civil Servants to meet Gove and the Irish Ambassador to the UK. The total price came to £1150.

For the avoidance of doubt I have no real issues with this, though it could have been conducted via video link. 

My concern is Our Dear Leader and his big announcements, the news conference, the attention seeker and the great need to be pleasing the restive politicos and the IOMNP Facebook group. Then he and flunkies promptly go to London, where Omicron is supposedly rife. The picture of ODL and Gove tells it all, no social distancing and certainly no facemasks, despite lecturing, and hectoring the GMP, leaving businesses to pick up the pieces. Not a wise move - and his Civil Servants can’t be the brightest either or perhaps they couldn’t give a toss?

Oh lovely. A new stupid acronym 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, quilp said:

Blimey!

Screenshot_20211219-093835_Chrome.jpg

Well, that’s pathetic and a bit embarrassing.

Do these clowns follow the news at all?  Are bin people dropping dead all over the world?

That might actually be the most stupidest thing I have ever read and given the time I spend on here reading stupid stuff that is really quite some accolade!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Our house has lost the Xmas jeopardy game - wife contacted by a colleague yesterday whose husband was positive- All did LFTs 3 negative and hers positive- PCR booked, taken and results issued in 12 hours (very smooth) but Xmas is knackered. 

I can Lateral test and crack on as can the kids but separate rooms, different bathrooms, Xmas lunch for 14 including her brother whose not been for 4 years cancelled, plus having to do all the running about is shit.

Both kids have had it previously so I’ve resigned myself to the point that I’m pretty much nailed on to catch it now - please deliver beer to my front door.

Be prepared for Ramseyboi levels of shitposting if I do test positive.

• Haha 1