IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Also polio that was a cruel one now hopefully eradicated because we all had our jabs and as remember not very pleasant and left a mark.

Polio was the one on a sugar cube.  The mark was either TB or maybe smallpox if you’re old enough. 

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Polio was the one on a sugar cube.  The mark was either TB or maybe smallpox if you’re old enough. 

He's thinking of the one that left you with a puss oozing scab for weeks that probably had more to do with the fact they jabbed half of the school with the same needle!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

He's thinking of the one that left you with a puss oozing scab for weeks that probably had more to do with the fact they jabbed half of the school with the same needle!

I think the TB one was applied with a small cross made with a scalpel and the vaccine dropped on to it? That came up in a scab which left a scar.

Just now, Max Power said:

I think the TB one was applied with a small cross made with a scalpel and the vaccine dropped on to it? That came up in a scab which left a scar.

Maybe. The TB jab had to be intradermal, which was a more careful injection than most. A scratch then topical application might do the same, but that certainly wasn’t how I had mine in about 1982

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Maybe. The TB jab had to be intradermal, which was a more careful injection than most. A scratch then topical application might do the same, but that certainly wasn’t how I had mine in about 1982

The one I'm thinking of you got stabbed on the forearm with some multi pronged thing a week in advance and if they stayed red  you didn't require it or something like that.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

When I was a baby or toddler, the family GP gave me the TB shot in my buttock so I wouldn't have a visible scar.  Thoughtful, eh?

I too have the scar on my arse. Probably done on the same 'roll-out' all those years ago 😉

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

The one I'm thinking of you got stabbed on the forearm with some multi pronged thing a week in advance and if they stayed red  you didn't require it or something like that.

That’s right! That was the Heaf test I think, to see if you had prior immunity to TB. If negative you got the BCG jab a week later. 

• Thanks 1