IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Had my booster today, a pre-arranged appointment.   There were two queues, one for appointments, one for walk-ins.  The wait was about 40 minutes.

There were two women kicking off that the two queues were going into the same vaccination area so what was the point of appointments?  They were assured that the vax area was spilt into two, one for each queue, but they were not happy. Really felt sorry for the staff down there.

I would say less than half of the cubicles were staffed so it is down to having enough medically qualified staff to jab arms and I am not sure how you address that in quick time. 

Kicking off at the staff should get you instantly booted out of there for the day. It would speed the queues up. 

There's no time or place for Karen like behaviour there. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Petefella said:

No when I took out the loan it was clear it was 80% government backed and that it was credit scored on the back of them covering the loan if it went wrong not my business. Additionally I wouldn’t have needed to borrow the money if government hadn’t shut my business down for 6 months. As I’m sure you might understand. If a business has no assets it can’t repay a business loan and so the guarantor pick up the tab. Just like the taxpayer did for £400 million of MUA debt, and £70 million for Liverpool. £25k is buttons really. 

It may be buttons, but there may also be many more buttons out there.

You have my sympathy, undoubtedly.  However, I am not sure that stuffing it back at the government is really the right approach.  Your company (presumably) took the loan in the honest belief that it would tide it over until things eased up and it could get back to normal operations.  As it turns out, 'normal operations' were a long way off, and we are not there still. 

If you have belief in your business proposition, would it not be better to negotiate an extension of repayment?  That way the company could still survive  and, possibly, achieve the potential you had in mind when you set it up? It will also avoid you having to answer those questions on future loan applications "were you ever a director of a company which went into insolvency?". 

I can understand your emotions in this, but you may do yourself more favours to try to reach some kind of compromise rather than just drop a hot potato.  

Also, check the terms of the loan that you, in your personal capacity, have not given a guarantee for the remaining 20%. 

Not giving you advice, really, other than deal with this with a level head, advice and without emotion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Kicking off at the staff should get you instantly booted out of there for the day. It would speed the queues up. 

There's no time or place for Karen like behaviour there. 

Yes, I thought it was quite appalling.  The staff handled it well though.  I cannot understand why people kick off in this way when, really, we are all in the same boat, may not like it, but the objective is to get boosters into arms, not get top marks for keeping to appointment times. 

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, I thought it was quite appalling.  The staff handled it well though.  I cannot understand why people kick off in this way when, really, we are all in the same boat, may not like it, but the objective is to get boosters into arms, not get top marks for keeping to appointment times. 

Possibly trying to get themselves ahead of the queue? 

Either way you're right, the staff on the ground have done an amazing job all the way through. 

Megson gave a much more proactive impression than Ewart ever did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Possibly trying to get themselves ahead of the queue? 

Either way you're right, the staff on the ground have done an amazing job all the way through. 

Megson gave a much more proactive impression than Ewart ever did. 

My only regret was that neither had a blonde, wedge hairstyle! 

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You have my sympathy, undoubtedly.  However, I am not sure that stuffing it back at the government is really the right approach.  Your company (presumably) took the loan in the honest belief that it would tide it over until things eased up and it could get back to normal operations.  As it turns out, 'normal operations' were a long way off, and we are not there still. 

If you have belief in your business proposition, would it not be better to negotiate an extension of repayment?  That way the company could still survive  and, possibly, achieve the potential you had in mind when you set it up? It will also avoid you having to answer those questions on future loan applications "were you ever a director of a company which went into insolvency?". 

I can understand your emotions in this, but you may do yourself more favours to try to reach some kind of compromise rather than just drop a hot potato.  

Also, check the terms of the loan that you, in your personal capacity, have not given a guarantee for the remaining 20%. 

Not giving you advice, really, other than deal with this with a level head, advice and without emotion. 

Are you having an actual laugh?

Many people "have belief in their business proposition" without ever thinking they would have to deal with this shitshow.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You have my sympathy, undoubtedly.  However, I am not sure that stuffing it back at the government is really the right approach. 

My accountant has given me all the advice I need thanks. As I said the only reason I got the loan was because I couldn't trade due to IOM government emergency laws shutting me down. I wouldn't have taken on debt (and haven't had any debt in the business for 10 years up until that point) if it wasn't because of that. I doubt they'd have lent me the money without the governemt guarantee as the actual company assets are easily liquidated. As I said to VOR government itself has dumped about a £4 billion liability on us for the public sector pensions, another £400 million on us for the MUA and now £70 milliom for Liverpool. My liability transfer is very small beer. And through no fault of my own. Those supporting the public and private sectors now being treated differently need to wind their necks in. Government shut a huge number of businesses like mine down due to their actions. Many won't be repaying the money.

Last time I looked the UK Treasury provision for bad covid loans was about £6 billion.

Edited by Petefella
Extra line
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Are you having an actual laugh?

Many people "have belief in their business proposition" without ever thinking they would have to deal with this shitshow.

No, not having a laugh, far from it.  But just saying perhaps an emotional response will actually have repercussions down the line.  Better to keep a level head, hard I am sure, but it may help on all kinds of levels.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, not having a laugh, far from it.  But just saying perhaps an emotional response will actually have repercussions down the line.  Better to keep a level head, hard I am sure, but it may help on all kinds of levels.  

True, but people who have been directly impacted in a way that will impact the rest of their lives by rules that had no logic behind them (me included) are quite rightly seriously peeved in a way no full time employee, civil servant or retiree will EVER comprehend.

This has ruined my life while others were paid a full wage for sitting on their arse for months on end.

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

True, but people who have been directly impacted in a way that will impact the rest of their lives by rules that had no logic behind them (me included) are quite rightly seriously peeved in a ay no full time employee, civil servant or retiree will EVER comprehend.

This has ruined my life while others were paid a full wage for sitting on their arse for months on end.

Yes, I get that, I really do.  But it doesn't actually matter to your individual position (or mine for that matter) whether there are people, CS or not, being paid or if there is a huge spunk of cash in Liverpool or the pensions black hole.

What matters is what you can do to control your own situation now.  That is where I have huge sympathy for self employed or small business owners who have had no control.  But that shouldn't stop you from trying to regain that control, and that is by arming yourself with all the information,  and applying it to your own situation to make the best of what you can.  You can't change that people were WFH, CS or not,  or that people were receiving their usual pay. 

Sorry if that sounds harsh but in line with your thinking, take control, don't roll over  or if you do, roll over because you knew it was the best option. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, I get that, I really do.  But it doesn't actually matter to your individual position (or mine for that matter) whether there are people, CS or not, being paid or if there is a huge spunk of cash in Liverpool or the pensions black hole.

What matters is what you can do to control your own situation now.  That is where I have huge sympathy for self employed or small business owners who have had no control.  But that shouldn't stop you from trying to regain that control, and that is by arming yourself with all the information,  and applying it to your own situation to make the best of what you can.  You can't change that people were WFH, CS or not,  or that people were receiving their usual pay. 

Sorry if that sounds harsh but in line with your thinking, take control, don't roll over  or if you do, roll over because you knew it was the best option. 

Taking control would have been trading with sensible mitigations, or at least getting a very modest payout while not being able to trade.

Both of those options were taken away with the threat of legal action if ignored..........3 times.

Whilst undoubtedly well intentioned, your post shows the same total lack of understanding that most others have.

Peoples lives and businesses of 20 or 30 years have been absolutely decimated  

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 1