IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, quilp said:

Do they really hold such influence? 

Not anymore by the looks of it.  Hardly anyone is still interested in curtailing their lives “just in case”.

Yesterday was a refreshing change even if the latest changes make it appear even more insane that unvaxxed people who aren’t eligible still can’t come here under any circumstances 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

Doomers are currently the biggest threat to the Island's continued prosperity. 

I think they are diminishing in number though. Some of my friends who before were firmly in the 'worse case scenario' camp are now exhibiting signs of having had enough and just wanting to crack back on with life. 

As long as the BBC and others continue to crank up the rhetoric you will always have your bed wetters but I think it's reaching saturation point with a larger number now and will continue the more our approach diverges from the shit show across.

Edited by Danoo
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Not anymore by the looks of it.  Hardly anyone is still interested in curtailing their lives “just in case”.

I assume you mean those depressing idiots on Twitter? That won’t bother them. None of them actually seems to have a proper job where they rely on actual economic activity to pay their bills. 

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

Kick the doom mongers to the kerb and get back to running an island again. Leave the public to police themselves and we can get back to generating more commerce to fill the coffers again. 

Hear, hear and all that. This covid thing is getting bloody boring now.

3 hours ago, pongo said:

And yet many sectors of business have been expanding - the biggest issue often talked about being around the difficulty of recruitment and the skills shortage - especially tech. And there are so many great unexploited opportunities which the island could be moving into. This is a great place to be based.

If there is too little money then the solution must certainly be to grow the economy (rather than effectively cutting it back). Obviously that means addressing the people shortage.

I really don't mean for this to sound like a gloat.  But this is certainly the case in my area in the Finance/Tech sector. 

My (and other contacts in the sector) biggest barrier to significant expansion at the moment is recruitment of suitably skilled staff.  I've more or less given up on trying to recruit locally now and I'm going to have to start looking further afield. 

Some positions I've been looking for, salaries have gone up by almost 50% this year in a desperate attempt to snag candidates.

I honestly do hope that this will ultimately balance out the economy in the long run.  Higher wages and expansion at my end will (eventually) trickle down to increased demand for services/construction/hospitality sector.   But I certainly appreciate that this may take some time and a lot of these businesses may well have hit a wall before they start to see increased demand. 

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

one of the biggest problems , and in particular with the DOI  is that they have lost so many people from the front line , ,I believe at one time there were 370 in the workforce  , tradesman  semi skilled and people working on the roads ,  I was told yesterday this number has been reduced to around 80 , mainly people fed up with  poor management  terrible attitude ,towards blue collar workmen ,and its not a good place to work anymore ,  but the increase in  headcount numbers  has been more pen pushers ,and suits  the ratio of worker to manager is completely out of kilter 

There's some interesting information on government headcount in an updated written question from Julie Edge on salary costs and employee numbers (total not FTE) by year over the five years of the Quayle administration.

In that time, within the DoI, the number employed as 'PSC Craft and Manual' fell from 558 to 360[1] but the total for PSC CS Departmental and General Service staff rose from 287 to 338.

[1]  This excludes Bus Vannin (which has its own pay scales) where numbers rose a bit, mainly I think from a switch to part-time casual staff (salaries doesn't rise in proportion) and also (sea) Ports staff which is pretty constant.  But as well there is also a drop in the number of NHS Maintenance staff from 39 to 23.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I would say the division between the two is the more injurious.

It depends. Alf Cannan has laid out a reasoned and workable plan. It is upto the doomers to fall onside and work with the community. 

There are some who would happily flout the guidance as they want to see it fail and be proved right. It's weird but some of them hate their country and community. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

KM played a blinder last night by dropping in the number of first doses that were now being administered in the back of ‘people changing their minds’.

Sounds like they got hit by a dart gun as they were running away. 

5 hours ago, joebean said:

[Mark Lewin] seems to have been slotted into a new role that didn’t previously exist. My guess is that he is doing the stuff that the Chief Secretary hasn’t  got the ability to do whilst being groomed to take over, quietly, some time in the near future. 

You may well be right, though Lewin is still shown as the CEO of DfE.  But the last thing they want is the top job in the Civil Service being appointed by open competition, far better to make sure it goes to the right mate especially if they have a track record of being in charge of such a well-run and productive Department.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Dave the office worker could work from home on full pay but trevor the window cleaner couldn't stand on a ladder in someones garden with his mate at the bottom holding he ladder?  Even though it was outdoors?

Trevor has subsequently fallen into debt that he will never get out of.

What about Sarah who runs a cafe?  Diedre with the gym business? Gertrude the taxi driver?

• Haha 2