IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I see Jersey is handing out £100 ' shop local' vouchers to everyone who lives there, kids included, because their economy is doing so well. If we're going to copy them then I'd accept that.

Bottle Monkey will be happy to hear that...

17 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

the IOM is simply winging it worse by simply not testing people.

But the IOM is testing people. As deemed necessary.

Do you believe that people should be tested on arrival - ie do you disagree with the informed post I quoted above?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Do you believe that people should be tested on arrival - ie do you disagree with the informed post I quoted above?

I disagree with substantial parts of that post. Especially the comments on psychology. How would you behave if you tested negatively? Well how would you behave if you were never tested at all and then locked up inside your own house for no real reason? As we know many people have gone “fuck it” and just gone out anyway as they assume (rightly in most cases) they haven’t got it anyway. So I don’t think bringing faux psychology into the debate adds any value when trying to support doing nothing as the best course of action. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pongo said:

Well Boris Johnson & Hancock agree with you that testing on arrival doesn’t work well so must be right like they have been so far!!

Germany & Italy are testing returning residents from lots of countries to avoid quarantine and they have lowest rates in Europe but they must be wrong & Pongo right!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well Boris Johnson & Hancock agree with you that testing on arrival doesn’t work well so must be right like they have been so far!!

Germany & Italy are testing returning residents from lots of countries to avoid quarantine and they have lowest rates in Europe but they must be wrong & Pongo right!!

Or you could address the points about "arrivals testings" made in the post I've quoted. Which is about here, our own particular and specific situation, and which is from someone who, unlike you, actually knows what they are talking about.

It's not what I'm saying. It's what a local expert close to the situation has written. Why not address the specific points you disagree with about "arrivals testing"?

Edited by pongo
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, pongo said:

Wrong as usual.

Only on Manx forums could a highly qualified biochemist have her knowledge belittled by simple folk who may think they are clever in their own back yard. FFS. Take a step back and think about what you are trying to say.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

I’ve already said I disagree and we should have testing on arrival

She is an expert in this area and has carefully tried to explain to you why "testing on arrival" might not be the most effective approach here.

Rather than simply saying the same thing over and over, why not address her response to you. Please explain why you believe that you are right - provide a scientific or evidence basis analysis explaining your belief that testing on arrival would make better sense than the current policy.

Her science based arguments seem solid. I'd genuinely appreciate hearing your response to them.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1