IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Yes.

13 hours ago, NoTailT said:

But the fact is that we were being led by imbeciles. If it wasn't for Dr G with her gear, we'd be a mess still.

Well clearly you didn't comprehend it, or you decided to read what you wanted to read. The part of the post I was responding to is here

FTR and one last time - It is my view is that

• Clearly DrG had an expertise in this field which was an advantage to us (This meant we were up and running faster than we would otherwise have been)
  • It does not mean we would still not have a facility by now. That's plain silly.
  • If DrG had not helped us we would probably had a facility in place at a similar time to Jersey and Guernsey
  • I am not a civil servant
  • I do not condone the way DrG was treated by our Government

11 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Reality:

Omicron still threat to NHS despite ‘good news’, says health service chief

Two studies show people may be at less risk from latest Covid variant but ‘we don’t have conclusive data’

The constant competition to paint the gloomiest possible picture going on this forum is quite funny. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Hard to believe folks pay actual money for that load of old nonsense. Scary too. 

Reality:

Omicron still threat to NHS despite ‘good news’, says health service chief

Two studies show people may be at less risk from latest Covid variant but ‘we don’t have conclusive data’

The first UK data of its kind found that the Omicron variant of coronavirus does indeed appear to be milder, with a 20%-25% reduced chance of a hospital visit and at least a 40% lower risk of being admitted overnight.

In what was described by scientists as a “qualified good news story”, two studies on Wednesday pointed to a lower risk of hospitalisation with Omicron.

An Imperial College outbreak modelling team led by Prof Neil Ferguson analysed hospitalisations and vaccine records among all PCR-confirmed Covid cases in England between 1 and 14 December. The dataset included 56,000 cases of Omicron and 269,000 cases of Delta.

Sajid Javid also said he welcomed studies which have suggested the Omicron variant may cause less severe illness than earlier strains but warned it could still lead to “significant” hospital admissions.

“That is, of course, good, encouraging news. They are not very clear yet though by how much that risk is reduced,” he said, adding:

We do know with Omicron that it does spread a lot more quickly, it is a lot more infectious than Delta, so any advantage gained from reduced risk of hospitalisation needs to be set against that.

If a much smaller percentage of people are at risk of hospitalisation, if that is a smaller percentage of a much larger number, there could still be significant hospitalisation.

So, it's not just the government trying to scare people into cancelling their own Christmas, in order prevent massive spread and enforced restrictions? 

Scotland and Wales have imposed restrictions. England has not. Quite rightly. But, need people to be very careful over the next two weeks. This good news sneaking out is not helpful (it is in every paper today, including your "bible"). Therefore, the scare tactics. 

One interesting analysis I read was on UK Gov spending.

If they're happy to throw billions at the economy again, why not throw billions at building new hospitals and fast tracking immigration for European workers to return and work in them? I mean real net positive increase in hospitals.

We all know public health here and across is strained massively in winter. Why should we all pay the price because Govs have failed to invest in protecting them against these winter exposures?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There was a high up medic on radio 4 this morning and she said that even if the attack is not severe, the fastness of the spread and the sheer size of it is still a problem.

Even a ‘mild’ infection from the virus has thousands off work and thousands of them are from front line services. 

The U.K. are now begging retired teachers to go back in to cover on supply so schools can stay open. With a bit of forward thinking and ventilators installed and mandatory mask wearing it could, possibly have been avoided. 

This came from the medic - although it’s my view too. 

Massive spread has far more serious consequences than being locked down. It means, potentially, that essential services are lacking in personnel. Even the least pragmatic person in the world could see where this might lead…

Yes but people are off not because they are sick but because of government guidelines so is covid the threat or is it the governments rules?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Oh and Guernsey. By 30th March they had a test facility up and running. 

And were they processing the tests in their own lab then? Or are you talking about 2021?

My recollection is that our lab, thanks to Dr Glover, were able to process our own PCR tests way earlier than the other Crown Dependencies, who were still sending their swabs to the UK long after we were doing the tests in house.

I haven't got the time now, but later on I'll do a 'Roger Mexico' and see if I can find some links with a timeline.  If I'm wrong I'll say so.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

And were they processing the tests in their own lab then? Or are you talking about 2021?

My recollection is that our lab, thanks to Dr Glover, were able to process our own PCR tests way earlier than the other Crown Dependencies, who were still sending their swabs to the UK long after we were doing the tests in house.

I haven't got the time now, but later on I'll do a 'Roger Mexico' and see if I can find some links with a timeline.  If I'm wrong I'll say so.

Definitely 2020. Seems they could do just 400 per day from start of April to September. They had ordered a new machine in July but didn't get it until September 2020. Then they could do 2000 per day.

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/09/22/equipment-to-arrive-next-week-to-ramp-up-testing/

I am sure Roger Mexico will come along with an exact timeline

We may well have beaten them to it and that could well be due, in no small part, to the efforts of Dr Glover. Everyone thinks I am disputing that. I am not. What I am disputing those who say we would not have done it by now. Which is just plain silly

43 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There was a high up medic on radio 4 this morning and she said that even if the attack is not severe, the fastness of the spread and the sheer size of it is still a problem.

Even a ‘mild’ infection from the virus has thousands off work and thousands of them are from front line services. 

The U.K. are now begging retired teachers to go back in to cover on supply so schools can stay open. With a bit of forward thinking and ventilators installed and mandatory mask wearing it could, possibly have been avoided. 

This came from the medic - although it’s my view too. 

Massive spread has far more serious consequences than being locked down. It means, potentially, that essential services are lacking in personnel. Even the least pragmatic person in the world could see where this might lead…

That's a good point. We have one in our house. Tested +ve Tuesday. He isn't too ill but I reckon he wouldn't want to go to work (even more so than normal).

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Better link here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-52093933

Guernsey had an on Island Testing facility on the 30th March 2020

Edited by Happier diner

3 hours ago, Petefella said:

The constant competition to paint the gloomiest possible picture going on this forum is quite funny. 

@Petefella

What competition? News to me. And funny? Not...

If you want to believe the Daily Mail you crack on. But don't be surprised if you're not taken seriously...

Personally I would rather know the actual risks than believe a puff piece for Bozo's populist bollox.

What was today's record infection rate again...?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Only if you make people stay home due to a test when they are actually fit to work.

I am not aware of anyone out of the group of people I know currently unable to work, who wouldn’t be at work if they hadn’t produced a positive test.

Hundreds of people perfectly capable of being at work being made to stay at home (and have a crap Christmas) is what is causing the issues.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1