IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

And, by the way, i currently have three friends with the new variant, trust me, they are sick. 

Would you like them to go back to work or do you just think they are following government guidelines? 

Do you mind saying how old they are. I don’t know anyone with more than a sniffle.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Do you mind saying how old they are. I don’t know anyone with more than a sniffle.

You would have to know a hell of a lot of people to make your mind up about Omicron symptoms based solely on personal experience. Surely a representative sample of many 1000's is needed to make a judgement.

I only know one. He is under the weather but not seriously ill by any means.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You would have to know a hell of a lot of people to make your mind up about Omicron symptoms based solely on personal experience. Surely a representative sample of many 1000's is needed to make a judgement.

It's all the dining out, makes one a socialite. :D

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I know of 18 in isolation at the moment.  All fine.  Some exercising at home, others just bored and annoyed about Christmas.

They are all under 60 though, hence asking the age of those who are ill who I guess are probably older 

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Definitely 2020. Seems they could do just 400 per day from start of April to September. They had ordered a new machine in July but didn't get it until September 2020. Then they could do 2000 per day.

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/09/22/equipment-to-arrive-next-week-to-ramp-up-testing/

I am sure Roger Mexico will come along with an exact timeline

We may well have beaten them to it and that could well be due, in no small part, to the efforts of Dr Glover. Everyone thinks I am disputing that. I am not. What I am disputing those who say we would not have done it by now. Which is just plain silly

At the start of the pandemic, Jersey and Guernsey were only doing the so-called 'rapid tests' locally.  This was very small scale, and most were being sent away.  These are the cartridge based tests, with most labs (including ours) having the machines, but being dependent on the supply of cartridges.  We still do these if we need a result within an hour, and can't wait until the next run of the '200 tests at once' machine.

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/04/01/up-to-75-samples-a-day-can-be-tested-for-covid-19/

Only 40 tests per day from 30th March in Guernsey, with another 35 being sent away.  Testing lab ramped up in September as per your link.

https://www.gov.je/News/2020/Pages/OnIslandTesting.aspx

Jersey started in August - up until then most tests being sent away.

Again, from memory, we were up and running with ours in May, so significantly before the other CDs to be able to do testing at scale, and this is thanks to Rachel.  I'm pretty sure she helped the labs in Jersey and Guernsey get their scaled up testing set up.

I've certainly never claimed we wouldn't have on-island PCR testing by now if it weren't for Rachel, I don't think anyone has.  But without her it's reasonable to assume we may have been several months later, as per G & J.  Back in March 2020 most of this stuff was done in university hospital reference labs, rather than local hospitals.  I remember news reports at the time bemoaning how we (the UK) couldn't compete with Germany.

Cue @Roger Mexico for a more thoroughly researched exposition, or maybe even @rachomics for more accurate recollection.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Nor do I.

Why is that hard to comprehend?  There are five just from our office an two of their partners.  Six at the wife’s work and some friends.

They aren’t ill.  If they hadn’t done LFTs every single one of them would have been at work today.

Why is that confusing or hard to believe?  If it wasn’t so identifying I would give more details but why should I have to?  It’s a very mild illness for most vaccinated people and a lot won’t ever know they had it if they hadn’t tested.

Believe whatever you want but try contacting a few places with a young workforce who have teenage kids.  They aren’t ill enough that they would need a day of work and that is a simple fact.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Why is that hard to comprehend?  There are five just from our office an two of their partners.  Six at the wife’s work and some friends.

They aren’t ill.  If they hadn’t done LFTs every single one of them would have been at work today.

Why is that confusing or hard to believe?  If it wasn’t so identifying I would give more details but why should I have to?  It’s a very mild illness for most vaccinated people and a lot won’t ever know they had it if they hadn’t tested.

Believe whatever you want but try contacting a few places with a young workforce who have teenage kids.  They aren’t ill enough that they would need a day of work and that is a simple fact.

It's not about you and your buddies though is it? It's about protecting the health service. This latest variant spreads like wildfire, so there's a real risk to Nobles, emergency services and those involved with essential supply chain. Your flippant ' doesn't bother me' attitude is the only thing around here that's hard to comprehend.

Edited by cheesypeas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

It's not about you and your buddies though is it? It's about protecting the health service. This latest variant spreads like wildfire, so there's a real risk to Nobles, emergency services and those involved with essential supply chain. Your flippant ' doesn't bother me' attitude is the only thing around here that's hard to comprehend.

To be clear me and all my colleagues are testing every single day since it got into the office.

The fact is that it isn’t making any of them ill.  The same would apply in healthcare so yes if all health care workers test everyday and don’t go in when they test positive we are likely to see shortages but my point is that if they weren’t all testing and we pretended it was still December 2018 would they all be off sick? Would anyone actually notice other than a few sniffles and a few people assumed to be ill from flu.

Hand on heart can you say that if we stopped testing now and everyone just cracked on as we would have 3 years ago you think we would notice anymore illness than would be expected in a pre pandemic winter?

I am taking into account the successful vaccine rollout.  Where we are right now if we stopped testing and cracked on would life really be any different to any winter pre 2018?

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 2