IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 hours ago, wrighty said:

I remember the early days of this pandemic when we could send about 25 tests across per day with a 72 hour result and were in danger of running out of swabs. Had it not been for Rachel setting up local PCR testing we’d quite possibly have spent most of 2020 under some restrictions, instead of being free of covid. And yes it is a team that work on the testing side, but I don’t think there was anyone else that could have started it all off back then. 

That achievement in itself completely surpasses anything else that may have happened since.  

When I read this I thought it was the nicest and most accurate thing anyone had said publicly about my input during 2020. Thank you.

13 hours ago, wrighty said:

For months after we were doing our own testing Jersey and Guernsey were still sending to the UK.  When they did get round to organising their own labs I believe Rachel was asked how to do it.  She may wish to confirm this, however if she did no doubt you and others would level accusations of egotism and self-promotion at her. 

You know, just occasionally, not everything the island does is shit. The local PCR testing facility is one of those examples. On a per capita basis we were way ahead of the UK in terms of testing capacity; remember when Matt Hancock was fudging the figures to get 250000 tests per day and he included antibody tests? We were already doing that many pro rata.

They were indeed. Guernsey had a "Dr. G" equivalent who happened to already be working for them. Jersey contracted a company with no diagnostics experience who then called me in September 2020 to find out how to do it. 

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t believe that to be true. Dr G herself is the architect of the current antipathy towards her.

I wonder now having shown her true colours if any more people now believe in  the existence of the letter penned by a disgruntled colleague? (However unwise Ashy was to destroy it)

I'd love to find out what you think my "true colours" are. 

10 hours ago, Sheldon said:

I don't think I'd want either of them as my sole companion if I was stranded on a desert island. (If they knew me, I'm sure the feeling would be quite mutual.)

If I had to choose one, though, I think I'd go for Ashy. He looks like hes got more eating on him.

I'm fatter than I look on a headshot. 

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

How do you explain how Guernsey managed so well? Do they have a clone? No, they got support from the UK government (by request). How can you think that someone is indispensable. 

NO ONE IS INDISPENSABLE

Guernsey had a "Dr. G" equivalent. He's called Andrew Bell. We've been in regular contact since the pandemic started. 

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

• It does not mean we would still not have a facility by now. That's plain silly.
  • If DrG had not helped us we would probably had a facility in place at a similar time to Jersey and Guernsey
  •  

Nope, you wouldn't have. You'd be doing 16 rapid tests a day with the "facility" that the path lab had planned without my input. They considered 10 tests a day to be "a lot". I introduced them to a 25 year old technique called "PCR" which I had experience of doing 20,000 per week. Guernsey did about as well as we did (see their "Dr. G" equivalent above). Jersey contracted it out at millions per month to a company that asked me how to do it. 

5 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

Looks like we've had a miraculous drop in cases today. Panic over...

Yes, those 176 LFD positives that mysteriously disappeared from the dashboard in favour of 36 PCR positives only couldn't possibly mean that our case rate was 212 today if everyone had gone through the Grandstand for a PCR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just a thought…… while posters here are busy slagging off Dr. Glover, does it not occur to them that she is a forum member, regular visitor and poster and might even have some feelings? It makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Edited by Itsmeee
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Just a thought…… while posters here are busy slagging off Dr. glover, does it not occur to them that she is a forum member, regular visitor and poster and might even have some feelings? It makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I have had to grow VERY thick skin over the past 20 months. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Just a thought…… while posters here are busy slagging off Dr. glover, does it not occur to them that she is a forum member, regular visitor and poster and might even have some feelings? It makes me feel very uncomfortable.

(I’ve had my fair share of insults and slagging off and I too even have some feelings.

Some have been banter, others not so nice but it’s a forum and as such people won’t always play nice.

Perhaps if it makes you feel uncomfortable you may wish to reconsider your participation.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

4 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Just a thought…… while posters here are busy slagging off Dr. Glover, does it not occur to them that she is a forum member, regular visitor and poster and might even have some feelings? It makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Has anyone above really slagged her off? A few posters seem to regard any vague criticism as an attack on some sort of deity when really why should any person anywhere be immune from any form of criticism? From what I’ve seen it’s doesn’t seem to stop people on here criticizing virtually every politician under the sun when the mood seems to take them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Its incredible what amounts to lay people with Ashford like knowledge gained of google can offer such mindblowing opinions of a medical professional. We should be grateful for RG's input at any level. Okay we might not agree with some aspects but we aren't close in knowledge to offer that alterative opinion. Shame on you all. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Maybe don’t criticise other people’s posting style or make judgements on their mental health when you know nothing about them.  

Interesting. I've found that most senior civil servants who look to discredit me talk about "mental health". I was absolutely called a "mentally unhinged troublemaker" earlier this year to try and make sure that people didn't listen to my PAC evidence. Yet, if you do listen to it, you'll hear the same evidence that the DHSC wasn't able to refute. 

Judging someone's mental health seems to be a common tactic amongst those who have nothing else concrete to hold up their argument.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rachomics said:

Judging someone's mental health seems to be a common tactic amongst those who have nothing else concrete to hold up their argument.

I fully agree so it’s odd that so many “established” posters on this forum seem to do exactly that constantly in relation to any poster who expresses a view that they don’t like. 

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I said I don’t know her but I once had the privilege of joining her on a zoom call and saw an incredible young woman who has the needs of the Island and it’s people at the very forefront of her thoughts. There was little ego there.

I was mistaken. 

THIS is the nicest and most accurate thing anyone has said on a public forum about me this year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Interesting. I've found that most senior civil servants who look to discredit me talk about "mental health". I was absolutely called a "mentally unhinged troublemaker" earlier this year to try and make sure that people didn't listen to my PAC evidence. Yet, if you do listen to it, you'll hear the same evidence that the DHSC wasn't able to refute. 

Agree completely.  According to some on here I am a narcissist because I have different views to them on certain matters.  Yet they are often the first to criticise others for bullying and suchlike.

Very strange behaviour but they will never admit it.

3 minutes ago, Petefella said:

I fully agree so it’s odd that so many “established” posters on this forum seem to do exactly that constantly in relation to any poster who expresses a view that they don’t like. 

The sad thing is those same people will assume that because you agree with me you are me under a different name.  They do it relentlessly and it is a bit odd.

2 minutes ago, Petefella said:

Has anyone above really slagged her off? A few posters seem to regard any vague criticism as an attack on some sort of deity when really why should any person anywhere be immune from any form of criticism? From what I’ve seen it’s doesn’t seem to stop people on here criticizing virtually every politician under the sun when the mood seems to take them. 

Much as it pains me to agree with you you are absolutely right. 
Some of the previous personal attacks on here on the ex Chief Minister and Treasury Minister go way beyond the pale ( including references to obesity, baldness and other physical factors)
And they didn’t come on here (quite rightly because of the dignity of their office) to defend themselves like the rest of us can.

• Thanks 1