IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

One of the few sectors where staff haven’t taken a financial hit through this nightmare

No. The reality is that the most significant sectors of the IOM economy have done fine since Covid began. Probably because much of the most significant business here is remote.

Significant issues around recruiting staff mean that in general people are earning more in many sectors.

Edited by pongo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As the cost of living is higher on the island surely chaining themselves to the UK rates is a negative move...?

Quite. There are advantages here though - for the higher earners there’s the low tax benefits - I understand this probably makes little difference until earning £50k+. There’s also job grades - some band 7 jobs here would be band 6 over there say. But the principle of pay scale equivalence with the UK is reasonable, certainly as a starting point. To be offered a rise that means pay scales here fall below those in the UK is a kick in the teeth for the staff here, and a major disincentive for anyone to move across. 

On 12/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, Paulos The Great said:

Much as I’d prefer to stay out of this thread this announcement today piqued my interest. So we’ve all accepted the restrictions and impacts of the last two years in order to protect the NHS and yet our NHS workers are now threatening to go on strike on us? So who was protecting who?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=65113

Someone hasn't read the room.

By that I mean the article itself, not the poster.

Edited by Danoo
  • Thanks 1

Its a story created from nothing. The consultative ballot is simply to gain some negotiation leverage. The outcome of the negotiations would need to be balloted separately as would any proposed action. Its alarmist nonsense better suited for a tabloid in the UK.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There was an advert in the Courier, a private health care company, and I could not believe how low the wages are that are offered.   If anyone is interested you can look it up online @ Isle of Man today digital editions an eye opener

Or you could have just told us. It’s not like it’s confidential!

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

There was an advert in the Courier, a private health care company, and I could not believe how low the wages are that are offered.   If anyone is interested you can look it up online @ Isle of Man today digital editions an eye opener.

Can we assume that it's this one..?

20211226_130927.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

There was an advert in the Courier, a private health care company, and I could not believe how low the wages are that are offered.   If anyone is interested you can look it up online @ Isle of Man today digital editions an eye opener.

It is certainly more than minimum wage. The care sector are trying hard to recruit. I know of someone who works for a care company, plenty of hours and the rate of pay is reasonable. Decent companies are offering paid training courses, which is beneficial to the organisation and also the individuals future employment prospects. 

• Like 1