IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

OMG.  I am testing everyday at the moment, but since loads of other people aren't then what is the point?

If everyone stopped testing then it would just disappear in a few weeks.   Plenty of other poster agree with me on that point - PEOPLE ARE NOT GETTING ILL WITH OMICRON.

Just stop testing and let it fizzle out of our lives while still circulating like a common cold

Their is not sufficient data yet to reach the conclusion that Omicron does not make people ill, are you an Epidemiologist now as well

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, alpha-acid said:

Their is not sufficient data yet to reach the conclusion that Omicron does not make people ill, are you an Epidemiologist now as well

Well, loads of people have it and some have a sniffle and the rest didn't notice until they did a test.  I would bet you a big clock that in six months anyone stressing about becoming ill from this latest variant (who isn't already vulnerable, and who is jabbed) looks very silly indeed.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The answer is simple. Charge for LFTs. People will no use them. If you are sick, get a PCR. At the moment, loads of people are probably looking for Wed to Fri off. It will all calm down when he schools are back. 

That’s probably right. We’ve had an unnecessary pain in the arse Xmas. One of our kids tested positive Xmas Eve so we had to arrange for half of our planned meal (Xmas & Boxing Day) to be doorstep delivered to their house as they hadn’t got any food in for Xmas as they were supposed to be staying with us. Three days in they still have absolutely no symptoms so likely they actually had Covid in the run up Xmas where they went to about 4 parties and works dos. So I’m not sure what testing is achieving really other then screwing people about and making Xmas a bit of a drag in isolation. If we hadn’t had some free LFT kits I honestly wouldn’t have bothered testing anyone as everyone was feeling 100% and had no symptoms at all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, pongo said:

Perhaps that's an issue which should be addressed by the state.

Maybe, but hardly relevant to the point being made is it?  Plus It would be almost impossible for the state to address that.

If you are a plasterer on a job on Tuesday and the sparks, floor fitters etc are due on Wednesday after you have finished and you don't rock up then it isn't just a case of you being paid for a missed day (which could be £100, or £700 depending on the job) it knocks on to everyone else and every job al those trades had booked in after.

Work from home! LOLS

7 minutes ago, Paulos The Great said:

That’s probably right. We’ve had an unnecessary pain in the arse Xmas. One of our kids tested positive Xmas Eve so we had to arrange for half of our planned meal (Xmas & Boxing Day) to be doorstep delivered to their house as they hadn’t got any food in for Xmas as they were supposed to be staying with us. Three days in they still have absolutely no symptoms so likely they actually had Covid in the run up Xmas where they went to about 4 parties and works dos. So I’m not sure what testing is achieving really other then screwing people about and making Xmas a bit of a drag in isolation. If we hadn’t had some free LFT kits I honestly wouldn’t have bothered testing anyone as everyone was feeling 100% and had no symptoms at all.

If your kid had tested before going to about 4 parties, they would have maybe tested positive and not gone and spread it to others at those parties. 

That is the point of testing. 

I, and all my family and friends, are testing twice a week and before going out or visiting anyone. 

Most people seem to be not getting too ill with omicron but we don't know for sure yet. It's still early days.  I don't know why that is so difficult to understand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Raffles said:

i and all my family and friends, are testing twice a week and before going out or visiting anyone. 

They were all made to test before the main work do which I think was the 18th. But I honestly don’t know anyone testing twice a week when they have no symptoms at all and I wish we hadn’t of suggested it on Xmas Day as it was just a pain in the arse having to cancel it all then drive food round both days when there have been no symptoms of any kind. 

1 minute ago, Paulos The Great said:

They were all made to test before the main work do which I think was the 18th. But I honestly don’t know anyone testing twice a week when they have no symptoms at all and I wish we hadn’t of suggested it on Xmas Day as it was just a pain in the arse having to cancel it all then drive food round both days when there have been no symptoms of any kind. 

Which is why if there were some way to make everyone test on a certain day it would become evident that it is everywhere, and that the odd test and isolation (if someone fesses up) is completely pointless.

It is running wild.  Get used to it.

• Like 1

Look at the premier league this weekend.

Their usual testing that normally picks up a few people with no symptoms has picked up a record number and led to matches being called off costing absolute fortunes.  Everything I have read says nearly all  those players were perfectly fit to play and only missed games because of the positive tests.

I dont know how much more data people want?  Omicron spreads quickly and is very mild.  Its pretty obvious.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

It is running wild.  Get used to it.

I’m not really into point scoring on this just relating our own experience. If we hadn’t have tested we’d have just carried on and had a good Xmas. It’s technically day three now still with no symptoms. It’s good the two negative tests rule has come in as rather than write off 10 days from Xmas eve I’m guessing they’ll get the all clear in a few days as they’ve probably already had it 6 or 7 days and so it wont ruin new year. 

I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are over here, compared to other places. Covid has definitely brought out the worst in governments and often also in people. I have some unvaccinated family members back in Germany and they can't use public transport or go to a hairdresser and many other places. It's a two class society and the atmosphere is toxic. Austria has done a full lockdown for the unvacced, Australia has built worrying KZ-style camps, Canada is going nuts and the list just goes on. Meanwhile, here we are, shopping at Tesco and sitting in the pub like almost nothing happened. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I think we sometimes forget how lucky we are over here, compared to other places. Covid has definitely brought out the worst in governments and often also in people. I have some unvaccinated family members back in Germany and they can't use public transport or go to a hairdresser and many other places. It's a two class society and the atmosphere is toxic. Austria has done a full lockdown for the unvacced, Australia has built worrying KZ-style camps, Canada is going nuts and the list just goes on. Meanwhile, here we are, shopping at Tesco and sitting in the pub like almost nothing happened. 

And I think we have it about right. Compare our government with Wales, Scotland for example. I think they’ve taken a ballsy, but correct, decision to allow us to crack on with minimal interference. Good on ‘em. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Omicron still causes hospitalizations and deaths. Less so than the delta, but omicron is far more contagious. There is still a worry it could overwhelm the NHS due to this, which has always been the main concern with covid.

Some posters here and elsewhere seem to be under the impression it causes no more than the sniffles for everyone but that's not the case at all. Current UK data shows a 40% reduction in admissions from omicron, but that is still a lot of admissions, particularly if many more catch it at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1