IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Whereas Jersey can do 2000 per day and Guernsey are building infrastructure to do similar for next phase.

whilst we can argue about when easing should start there should be no argument that IOM should be investing in infrastructure to be able to do similar.

also the lack of any real plan to get out of this is concerning to many on both sides of argument 

Jersey cannot process any in a day. They are processed in the uk. However, I understand they are building their own labs to cut testing time. Guernsey are increasing their ability, but delivery of the equipment has been delayed until end of September, according to your own link last week. 

Isle of Man more than doubled its testing ability during July / August according to Howie last Thursday. Wrighty even mentioned it a while ago on this thread. 

A link to Jersey's other restrictions was posted two pages ago. I suggest you actually look at what else is in place rather than stick you fingers in your ears and say test on arrival. 

You also said earlier that Jersey's pubs and restaurants were very busy. You are correct, in a social distancing, table service only kind of way

Edited by Cambon

55 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Should be called operation smoke and mirrors. The news this morning were saying this could cost 100 billion to implement.

With tests giving out false positives and negatives how reliable will it be?

False positives would be huge, unnecessarily isolating huge swathes of the population and their immediate contacts. Operation pie in the sky.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Jersey cannot process any in a day. They are processed in the uk. However, I understand they are building their own labs to cut testing time. Guernsey are increasing their ability, but delivery of the equipment has been delayed until end of September, according to your own link last week. 

Isle of Man more than doubled its testing ability during July / August according to Howie last Thursday. Wrighty even mentioned it a while ago on this thread. 

A link to Jersey's other restrictions was posted two pages ago. I suggest you actually look at what else is in place rather than stick you fingers in your ears and say test on arrival. 

You also said earlier that Jersey's pubs and restaurants were very busy. You are correct, in a social distancing, table service only kind of way

As I said every one else has a plan we have none

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I’m afraid it’s going to take more than few senior epidemiologists imparting their opinion before the fear & hysteria that has been generated by the media in the last six months can subside.

The flu is already killing more people on a daily basis than Covid within the UK but will go unreported as it just doesn’t carry the same wow factor.

Thankfully Brexit is back on the mainstream media agenda to deflect our attention to the next crisis the country faces.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Southfork said:

I don’t believe she is a biochemist. Her online biography states that she trained as a molecular microbiologist, developing diagnostic assays for use in a commercial/statutory testing lab and then moved into bioinformatics with the emergence of next-generation sequencing. Her research interests are said to involve genomic epidemiology, biodiversity informatics and improving metagenomic and metabarcoding methods for species detection. As I understand it biochemistry has more to do with the chemical reactions that happen within the body. Whereas Molecular Biology focuses more on the structure and the relationships between four molecules (proteins, lipids, carbohydrates and nucleic acids) in the body.

She is clearly a very bright lady nonetheless but does not seem to be a biochemist. 

So, I was indeed wrong. I credited her with the wrong title or qualification. I should also check what I post. :flowers:

Edited by dilligaf

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Should be called operation smoke and mirrors. The news this morning were saying this could cost 100 billion to implement.

With tests giving out false positives and negatives how reliable will it be?

Should be called "Operation More Bozo Bollox"

Somehow the "Track Trace Isolate" system is now the "NHS Track Trace Isolate" system so when that nice Keir Starmer took Bozo to task over it's growing failures Bozo could bluster how Starmer is not supporting our wonderful NHS etc etc rather than answer the question. Which is ironic from one of the many tories who voted down a 1% payrise for NHS staff.

As the weeks pass Bozo looks more and more out of his depth....

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Should be called "Operation More Bozo Bollox"

Somehow the "Track Trace Isolate" system is now the "NHS Track Trace Isolate" system so when that nice Keir Starmer took Bozo to task over it's growing failures Bozo could bluster how Starmer is not supporting our wonderful NHS etc etc rather than answer the question. Which is ironic from one of the many tories who voted down a 1% payrise for NHS staff.

As the weeks pass Bozo looks more and more out of his depth....

If Bozo pissed himself he would be out of his depth!

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

But he agreed with some on here about no testing at ports for some reason 

You keep on writing about testing on entry but you still haven't explained what it is you disagree with about @rachomics 's considered expert response to you - how testing after 7 days makes better sense.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, rachomics said:

I am a scientist who understands that if you test someone on the day they arrive and their exposure to the virus was at on the way to the ferry/plane, that test is going to come up negative because no test in the world can give a result based on exposure. The test is for actual infection, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic.

If we tested on arrival and there was no isolation period at all we would have a fairly serious problem rather quickly. It only takes one asymptomatic person to start a community transmission chain and we'd be back in lockdown.

This is why testing on day 7 of isolation is a good risk-based compromise as if someone is exposed in the week before travelling (or even on the day of travel) there's a significant chance that they'll test positive on day 7.