IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

If you get COVID and aren't jabbed then I think you should pay for any treatment.

What if you're fat and need treatment? What if you ever drank alcohol and need treatment? What if you're a smoker and need treatment?

Either treat everybody for free or treat nobody for free.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

New restrictions at the hospital.  Why?

The other week the Chief Minister was asked on the Mannin Line what contingencies were in place for dealing with increased Covid  hospitalisations. He failed to answer the question, waffling about reviewing and monitoring the situation but not saying what would actually be done.

If only 1% of the 1800+ (and rising) Covid infections require hospital treatment there could be 20 - 30 people in hospital in a week. If 10% of hospital staff are also absent due to illness then services could be overwhelmed.

So clearly the only contingency is to cancel or reduce other healthcare services and to adversely impact the public.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

The other week the Chief Minister was asked on the Mannin Line what contingencies were in place for dealing with increased Covid  hospitalisations. He failed to answer the question, waffling about reviewing and monitoring the situation but not saying what would actually be done.

If only 1% of the 1800+ (and rising) Covid infections require hospital treatment there could be 20 - 30 people in hospital in a week. If 10% of hospital staff are also absent due to illness then services could be overwhelmed.

So clearly the only contingency is to cancel or reduce other healthcare services and to adversely impact the public.

Our Covid policy since we opened the borders in March? has been " Fingers crossed"

Unless we are acting as a test bed for letting it rip through the population for our UK masters I don't see a good outcome from this type of response.

The hospital will be overwhelmed at this rate - Please someone quote this bit of my post - And we are not even setting up wards ready for this.

The Isle of Man is broke when it comes to things other than paying CS salaries and pensions.

Anyone who has dealings with gov will say the same. The prom being a fine example of not spending on doing a proper job.

Rails set in concrete to save a few quid, we will be paying over and over for this cheapskate specification of gov projects. Looks like the NSC Flumes are another cheapskate disaster. 

37 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Our Covid policy since we opened the borders in March? has been " Fingers crossed"

Unless we are acting as a test bed for letting it rip through the population for our UK masters I don't see a good outcome from this type of response.

The hospital will be overwhelmed at this rate - Please someone quote this bit of my post - And we are not even setting up wards ready for this.

The Isle of Man is broke when it comes to things other than paying CS salaries and pensions.

Anyone who has dealings with gov will say the same. The prom being a fine example of not spending on doing a proper job.

Rails set in concrete to save a few quid, we will be paying over and over for this cheapskate specification of gov projects. Looks like the NSC Flumes are another cheapskate disaster. 

I am quoting as requested so that in six months you can recall what a ludicrous post it was.

The hospital will be fine.  People (like you) keep saying there will be a disaster.

Summer 20 - didn’t happen.

Last Christmas - didn’t happen

Open borders in May - didn’t happen

This winter - didn’t happen.

Delta - didn’t happen

Onicron - hasn’t/won’t happen.

The iom approach at the moment is spot on, other than stopping hospital visits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I am quoting as requested so that in six months you can recall what a ludicrous post it was.

The hospital will be fine.  People (like you) keep saying there will be a disaster.

Delta - didn’t happen

The IOM approach is not spot on. But then there is no approach that will ever be spot on. I know that some Manxies have had two vaccines, caught Covid, had a booster and now caught Covid again. There is too much “finger crossing” and no rational debate and direction from our politicians. Their Xmas LFT experiment is the latest failure. My son and nine others all had negative LFTs before going out on Boxing Day. Yesterday 8 out of 10 of them separately tested positive. They all work in different businesses, supermarket, hospitality, offices, lifestyle services, which are now all impacted by their absences. But at least the Government will be happy that their spending helped out the hospitality sector.

47 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Delta - didn’t happen

It must be easy always being right from the side lines. Maybe you should offer your advisory services to IoM Government.

As I have posted previously I do not envy those in Government making decisions as with over 500 cases in a day it does not take a lot for the number of severe cases to slightly more severe than expected and it might become a serious issue. If the health and care settings then struggle to cope then potentially there is a problem and you are accused of causing of failing to protect the public etc.

If the symptoms are less severe all you get is faceless warriors on social media. I know which I would prefer if I had to make decisions and be accountable for my actions. 

I am not sure what actions the IoM can really take to stop the rapid spread. The mass mingling has probably already been done apart from New Years Eve so taking any action now just looks like acting after the horse has bolted. I also expect that with recent numbers come New Years Eve - many will be in isolation, many will be cautious and stay in and those that will be going out would do what ever

10 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

The IOM approach is not spot on. 

I totally agree. Not because the IoM Govt have cocked it up, but I think it is pretty impossible to get spot on. The approach is based on modelling and assumptions and all they can hope is that the modelling and assumptions which have assisted in the decision turns out to be pretty accurate. 

If anybody thinks they can say that anybody got it spot on or right until this current wave passes and we can look back with hindsight I think they are fairly delusional. 

10 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

It must be easy always being right from the side lines. Maybe you should offer your advisory services to IoM Government.

As I have posted previously I do not envy those in Government making decisions as with over 500 cases in a day it does not take a lot for the number of severe cases to slightly more severe than expected and it might become a serious issue. If the health and care settings then struggle to cope then potentially there is a problem and you are accused of causing of failing to protect the public etc.

If the symptoms are less severe all you get is faceless warriors on social media. I know which I would prefer if I had to make decisions and be accountable for my actions. 

I am not sure what actions the IoM can really take to stop the rapid spread. The mass mingling has probably already been done apart from New Years Eve so taking any action now just looks like acting after the horse has bolted. I also expect that with recent numbers come New Years Eve - many will be in isolation, many will be cautious and stay in and those that will be going out would do what ever

They/we don’t need to stop the “rapid spread” 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

They/we don’t need to stop the “rapid spread” 

As I said I am impressed on your absolute 100% certainty and ability to be always correct, especially when most others are merely reasonably optimistic that based on the data hospitals, health care settings etc will not be over run. You must be making an absolute mint from consultancy fees to Governments, business etc 

• Haha 1