IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

500+ positives in one day and I’ve yet to hear or see a single hint of anyone calling for a lockdown, I think we might finally be at the stage of people accepting we are living with it and that’s that.

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's doubtful whether the schools will have the staff to open on Tuesday. The mitigation prior to Christmas was minimal at best.

Could well be lockdown by stealth, no legal restrictions but the exponential rate of growth, coupled with NYE/schools returning, could quickly result in public services being compromised.

34 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

They/we don’t need to stop the “rapid spread” 

You do know that "they/we" couldn't stop the "rapid spread" even if they wanted to, right? Not without stringent lockdowns and isolation, which no one but the scared few wants.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

What if you're fat and need treatment? What if you ever drank alcohol and need treatment? What if you're a smoker and need treatment?

Either treat everybody for free or treat nobody for free.

Being fat, drinking alcohol or smoking doesn’t cause the rest of the population to be restricted where as being unvaccinated because you think COVID is not real does, tin hat at the ready!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

As I said I am impressed on your absolute 100% certainty and ability to be always correct, especially when most others are merely reasonably optimistic that based on the data hospitals, health care settings etc will not be over run. You must be making an absolute mint from consultancy fees to Governments, business etc 

Cool.  Let’s see in six weeks

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

It must be easy always being right from the side lines. Maybe you should offer your advisory services to IoM Government.

As I have posted previously I do not envy those in Government making decisions as with over 500 cases in a day it does not take a lot for the number of severe cases to slightly more severe than expected and it might become a serious issue. If the health and care settings then struggle to cope then potentially there is a problem and you are accused of causing of failing to protect the public etc.

If the symptoms are less severe all you get is faceless warriors on social media. I know which I would prefer if I had to make decisions and be accountable for my actions. 

I am not sure what actions the IoM can really take to stop the rapid spread. The mass mingling has probably already been done apart from New Years Eve so taking any action now just looks like acting after the horse has bolted. I also expect that with recent numbers come New Years Eve - many will be in isolation, many will be cautious and stay in and those that will be going out would do what ever

Maybe I am involved in the decision making? Have I been wrong on what they /we were going to do?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Billy the Kid said:

Being fat, drinking alcohol or smoking doesn’t cause the rest of the population to be restricted where as being unvaccinated because you think COVID is not real does, tin hat at the ready!

There’s also not a free widely available vaccination to help lose a few stone or give up smoking. 

41 minutes ago, Billy the Kid said:

You are ready I take it for the anti smoking people to have a go at you because smelling an infinitesimal amount of smoke from ten yards away for a nano second will give you cancer and lead to a most painful death?

As far as I see it, the issue is that positives have to isolate whether they or not they are displaying symptoms.  That means there will be an impact on staffing in healthcare which has obvious impacts for the wider population. 

Now, before the usual suspects pile in, until there is more data, we do not know if the expected mild effects of Omicron are borne out in fact.  That is the million dollar question, at what point do we stop testing and isolating and start treating it like a cold?  I am afraid I am not qualified or in a position to make that judgement, and after all that has happened over the past couple of years, I can understand those who are being somewhat measured. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You are ready I take it for the anti smoking people to have a go at you because smelling an infinitesimal amount of smoke from ten yards away for a nano second will give you cancer and lead to a most painful death?

I think people who smoke are as mad as people who refuse to be vaccinated!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kid said:

I think people who smoke are as mad as people who refuse to be vaccinated!

Well that’s your point of view.and I respect it. I used to smoke and enjoyed it until the restrictions made it impossible to do so. Buts let’s not go into that again.

I do believe however that the unvaccinated pose a greater risk to public health and are more selfish than the smoker shivering in a doorway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1