IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

As far as I see it, the issue is that positives have to isolate whether they or not they are displaying symptoms.  That means there will be an impact on staffing in healthcare which has obvious impacts for the wider population. 

Now, before the usual suspects pile in, until there is more data, we do not know if the expected mild effects of Omicron are borne out in fact.  That is the million dollar question, at what point do we stop testing and isolating and start treating it like a cold?  I am afraid I am not qualified or in a position to make that judgement, and after all that has happened over the past couple of years, I can understand those who are being somewhat measured. 

Neither am I qualified in that exact field, but do have a very sound background in that area. I suggested to lots of my associates a moth ago that Omicron might be the start of the Saviour process, it will more than likely mutate more and become even more like the common cold

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Gladys said:

As far as I see it, the issue is that positives have to isolate whether they or not they are displaying symptoms.  That means there will be an impact on staffing in healthcare which has obvious impacts for the wider population. 

The isolation period has been heavily reduced though, it’s only 2 negative tests required, we aren’t testing for the variant so won’t be subject to whole household isolations if it’s omicron, which was mentioned originally and quickly forgotten about.

We could have 500 positives a day but those figures will drop off just as quickly, 500 of the same individuals isolating for 10 days would cause issues quite quickly, 500 isolating for maybe 5 days at most less so. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The isolation period has been heavily reduced though, it’s only 2 negative tests required, we aren’t testing for the variant so won’t be subject to whole household isolations if it’s omicron, which was mentioned originally and quickly forgotten about.

We could have 500 positives a day but those figures will drop off just as quickly, 500 of the same individuals isolating for 10 days would cause issues quite quickly, 500 isolating for maybe 5 days at most less so

I know of 6 cases recently that only tested negative on days 7 to 9. I know one lucky person who was 4 days. Obviously this is not scientific data but the ridiculously high cases are going to have an impact on businesses and the economy. The head of Robinson's was Twitter earlier today and mentioned that so many businesses are closed (I'm presuming because of lack of staff) it's affecting Robinson's sales. Lockdown by default.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I know of 6 cases recently that only tested negative on days 7 to 9. I know one lucky person who was 4 days. Obviously this is not scientific data but the ridiculously high cases are going to have an impact on businesses and the economy. The head of Robinson's was Twitter earlier today and mentioned that so many businesses are closed (I'm presuming because of lack of staff) it's affecting Robinson's sales. Lockdown by default.

I’d agree with that. I made a post about our Xmas a few days ago. My child still testing positive (with absolutely no symptoms at all still) after 8 days. There can be a long tail end on this testing even if you aren’t actually ill or exhibiting symptoms at all. It’s still enforced time off work. 

Edited by Paulos The Great
Added testing

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

Neither am I qualified in that exact field, but do have a very sound background in that area. I suggested to lots of my associates a moth ago that Omicron might be the start of the Saviour process, it will more than likely mutate more and become even more like the common cold

That has been the expectation since this all started, that it will mutate itself to insignificance.  The difficulty is actually recognising when that point is reached, I suppose.   Of course it will only be recognised after the event because it will be identified through historic data.  It will be a brave politician who will make that call first, so my bet would be to expect it after months rather than weeks of indicative data.  

4 hours ago, Billy the Kid said:

Being fat, drinking alcohol or smoking doesn’t cause the rest of the population to be restricted where as being unvaccinated because you think COVID is not real does, tin hat at the ready!

What's that got to do with treating them if they get sick? The unvaccinated are at higher risk of needing medical care. Smokers are at higher risk of needing medical care. Both, somewhat, voluntarily. Excluding people from the health service for any reason is abhorrent.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

We could have 500 positives a day but those figures will drop off just as quickly, 500 of the same individuals isolating for 10 days would cause issues quite quickly, 500 isolating for maybe 5 days at most less so. 

Plenty of people are still testing positive well over two weeks after their first positive so those poor people will still be stuck at home for no good reason for the full 10 days.  It needs to stop or the economy  will be crippled.  The number of hospitality places closed tonight is madness

Edited by Ramseyboi

14 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Plenty of people are still testing positive well over two weeks after their first positive so those poor people will still be stuck at home for no good reason for the full 10 days.  It needs to stop or the economy  will be crippled.  The number of hospitality places closed tonight is madness

Where’s closed?

Just now, quilp said:

Another bloody day of bleating, same old same old...

Another confused emoji... 

Whats your problem exactly?

People are discussing a situation which is constantly changing and which our government need to react to.

It is a HUGE issue that has in the past posed a real risk to people’s health but now appears (as predicted by many weeks ago) to have become an issue not by making people ill but by crippling businesses and healthcare because the government still insist on people who aren’t ill missing work.

It is quite obvious from the whole thread that you and some others aren’t really impacted by border restrictions or people having to take time off work but many of us have  lost life changing amounts of money though the pandemic and are rightly questioning the responses to it.

There are people posting on this thread who have been to hell and are only slowly making their way back, and now have this shambles at the busiest time of the year and are out of pocket to such an extent they might never recover.  Some of those people would completely lose the plot without somewhere to vent anonymously.

If your life isn’t be turned upside down by this then good for you.  Go and read one of the other threads or millions of other forums and let people who want to discuss how the decisions of a few are impacting on many.

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Whats your problem exactly?

You.

There is nothing you can say that you haven't already repeated many times. The jist of your posts carry the same message, nothing you say will make any difference. The running commentary you've provided throughout is as boring as it is predictable.

• Like 4