IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

29 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Just noticed that the dashboard says “from 23rd December positive test results from lateral flow tests which have been reported before midnight the previous day have been added”

So the “spike” reported yesterday was actually people not wanting to go into work on the first non bank holiday - which is exactly what I said would happen last week.

I guess a drop of at least 200 today

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Straw poll then.

how many people do posters know who are actually ill enough with it in the last couple of weeks that they couldn’t work?

None, out of easily over fifty people I am aware of directly and through friends and family.  

Small sample size, but last week I knew 1 person with covid. This week its 8. All under 35, most under 25, 3 of them pretty ill (in bed most of the day), the other 5 headaches and sniffles. 

I don't think the stats are people trying to blag an extra day between Christmas and New year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quilp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/30/masks-best-covid-protection-ffp2-ffp3

Yesterday I attended blood clinic. Before entering I unwrapped and donned my ffp3 mask. I was then stopped by a door-guardian and told to remove the mask and replace it with a surgical mask. There is a world of difference when comparing these two masks when it comes to acting as a barrier and personal safety, as explained in the above link. It wasn't worth bothering explaining the logic. 

A few weeks back I had to enter/exit the hospital twice within 10 mins max of each occasion. I put a new mask on when I entered first time. The door fella saw me walk out of the main entrance with someone in a wheelchair. Within minutes I had to go back inside to collect someone else but he still insisted I discard the one I was wearing 10 mins before and put a new one on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/30/masks-best-covid-protection-ffp2-ffp3

Yesterday I attended blood clinic. Before entering I unwrapped and donned my ffp3 mask. I was then stopped by a door-guardian and told to remove the mask and replace it with a surgical mask. There is a world of difference when comparing these two masks when it comes to acting as a barrier and personal safety, as explained in the above link. It wasn't worth bothering explaining the logic. 

When I had my booster, I wore a (new) surgical mask covered by a (freshly washed) cloth mask. My cloth mask fits very snugly around my face and particularly over my nose, which is important as it means my glasses don't fog. It also adds an extra layer, making it safer for everyone.

I was asked to remove it by the nurse who checked my forms until she realised I already had a surgical mask on, whereupon she said I was good to go and probably better protected than she was. 

Quilp, you perhaps should have put the surgical mask on over your ffp3. Can't see how they can object to that. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I have it on ‘very’ good authority that every person currently in Nobles (thru’ Covid) is unvaccinated.

It wouldn't surprise me.  The Cabinet Office don't seem to have bothered to produce a Weekly Surveillance Report this week, but if you look at last week's figures, six of the eight in hospital were unvaccinated.

It's worth pointing out that this is a new thing.  I added up the figures from the previous ten weeks reports and of the 54 hospital admissions only 12 were unvaccinated (22%).  I suspect this may hint at a change where older vaccinated patients are being replaced by younger and unvaccinated ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Just wait for teachers to realize they have to go into school on Tuesday.  Watch them all kick off big time, whilst the rest of the general working population just get on with it.

Really expecting in the next week saying to work can I work from home for a day or so because school s don’t want kids in

The same teachers who've been in looking after kids through multiple lockdowns even when most people were off work? What short memories people have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

I have it on ‘very’ good authority that every person currently in Nobles (thru’ Covid) is unvaccinated.

You can lead a horse to water.

Similar in Guernsey with 50% of cases in hospital being unvaccinated , anti vaxxers have a lot to answer for 

There was also a plea from Dr Rabey for people to get their primary vaccinations and booster injections following local data showing that 40% of Covid-19 patients over the last three months have been unvaccinated.

‘That small group of adults who haven’t had vaccinations are producing nearly half of our admissions with Covid.

‘And when we look at who has been the most sick, the ones that have needed to go into high dependency and intensive care, nearly two-thirds of those who’ve needed that higher level of treatment have not been vaccinated

11 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Just wait for teachers to realize they have to go into school on Tuesday.  Watch them all kick off big time, whilst the rest of the general working population just get on with it.

Really expecting in the next week saying to work can I work from home for a day or so because school s don’t want kids in

Think you may find a lack of teachers and pupils due to sickness might be more of an issue.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Like you say Genuinely I don’t know anyone who has it.  We have had this discussion in work, maybe we are all hanging out in the wrong places.

i do think there is a lot of people gaming the system though can’t prove it but it’s human nature

I was a bit like that, but suddenly everyone in my (relatively small) social circle has either had it or currently got it in the last two weeks, I assume I must be immune because I’ve had more close contacts this week than I’ve ever had, thank goodness we don’t have to isolate as a close contact any more!

All fine are though, so far it’s all been typical cold/flu symptoms and 2 people had a really sharp tension headaches, hasn’t and won’t stop any of them working, but it has spoiled their Christmas/New Year