IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I now know of 5 people with covid, 2 are pretty poorly staying in bed etc the other 3 slight headache and sniffles. It just affects everyone differently.

The fact this strain has been around for over a month and the hospitals aren't full is surely a good thing and hopefully we are now at the end of this thing and come the spring life will get back to normal

Edited by thommo2010
  • Like 1

Alf has been on the NPM today telling everyone to prepare for a hard few weeks. Is this a forewarning for a Lockdown or Circuit Break after next week? I know there are shortages everywhere, labour and raw materials. The Hospital can’t cope, and visiting has stopped for 2 weeks, so presumably that means only telephone consultation. I still wonder if the TT 2022 is going ahead? A curious point being, passengers coming off the Ben and Mannanan during TT fortnight, how will the QR code checkers/landing passes cope, the queue will be horrendous?

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

... an ill fitting FFP3 won’t be any different to a medical grade mask, it’s easier just to have everyone wearing the same disposable mask.

See WTF's post below. And did you bother reading the Guardian link relating to this? 

53 minutes ago, WTF said:

my disposable mask is into its 5th week of active service.

This is what happens. After initial use a lot are stuffed into pockets and bags to be reused. The ffp3 can be washed and reused until it falls apart.

32 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Quilp, you perhaps should have put the surgical mask on over your ffp3. Can't see how they can object to that. 

Ah Well now you see, I did this last year, with my own hospital standard surgical mask under the ffp3. The guy at the desk saw me unwrap them both as new and fit them outside the revolving-door. When I entered he wanted the surgical mask removed and replaced with one he had. The exact same surgical mask. I didn't argue then either. He said nothing when I put the ffp3 on over the one he'd given me.

I did post about the experience earlier-on in the thread. And my main thrust is about hospital staff not being offered the most effective protection.

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I now know of 5 people with covid, 2 are pretty poorly staying in bed etc the other 3 slight headache and sniffles. It just affects everyone differently 

Not according to ramseyboi. Everyone who has it has it mild but most people are faking it anyway because Manx people are workshy...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I now know of 5 people with covid, 2 are pretty poorly staying in bed etc the other 3 slight headache and sniffles. It just affects everyone differently.

The fact this strain has been around for over a month and the hospitals aren't full is surely a good thing and hopefully we are now at the end of this thing and come the spring life will get back to normal

In an ideal world. We don’t live in an ideal world. Coupled with all those individuals who are stirring the pot online, pressuring politicos and demanding restrictions, this will carry on regardless. 

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Alf has been on the NPM today telling everyone to prepare for a hard few weeks. Is this a forewarning for a Lockdown or Circuit Break after next week? I know there are shortages everywhere, labour and raw materials. The Hospital can’t cope, and visiting has stopped for 2 weeks, so presumably that means only telephone consultation. I still wonder if the TT 2022 is going ahead? A curious point being, passengers coming off the Ben and Mannanan during TT fortnight, how will the QR code checkers/landing passes cope, the queue will be horrendous?

How exactly are we meat to 'prepare'? Is he going to prepare by putting HEPA filters in classrooms and  public buildings and instituting other simple mitigations? Or do we just stock up on toilet roll?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Alf has been on the NPM today telling everyone to prepare for a hard few weeks. Is this a forewarning for a Lockdown or Circuit Break after next week

No, I think he's saying "You're all going to get ill and there's nothing we're going to do about it". 

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Small sample size, but last week I knew 1 person with covid. This week its 8. All under 35, most under 25, 3 of them pretty ill (in bed most of the day), the other 5 headaches and sniffles.

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I now know of 5 people with covid, 2 are pretty poorly staying in bed etc the other 3 slight headache and sniffles. It just affects everyone differently 

If the IOM is ever going to remove all Covid restrictions, particularly the isolation rules, our Public Health Department needs to get itself into gear now. It needs to gather data from the 1800+ currently isolating because of PCR and LFT tests to confirm the levels of vaccination, seriousness of symptoms etc. Then there would be some substance to claims that vaccinations prevent serious illness, that Omicron is less serious etc. And there is no reason to use data protection as an excuse for not doing the work if people volunteer data and it isn’t used in a way that will identify individuals. 

How on earth will the TT go ahead this year with the current isolation rules being in place?. But how can they be removed based on guess work and “fingers crossed”?.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

There's rather a lot of substance for both of those claims already.

Good. So apart from knowing how many IOM hospital patients are unvaccinated, we know how many currently at home on the IOM have no symptoms, have a mild cold or are sick in bed feeling like they may need hospital care?. And we know how many of the 1800 + have been boosted in IOM. If you are saying S African data can be equated to the situation in IOM so decisions can be made, then great.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

How exactly are we meat to 'prepare'? Is he going to prepare by putting HEPA filters in classrooms and  public buildings and instituting other simple mitigations? Or do we just stock up on toilet roll?

They've had at least a month* to sort out HEPA filters, which can be easily and inexpensively made. They've got no excuse.

*way longer than a month - details on how to make inexpensive HEPA filters have been freely available online for a while now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

Good. So apart from knowing how many IOM hospital patients are unvaccinated, we know how many currently at home on the IOM have no symptoms, have a mild cold or are sick in bed feeling like they may need hospital care?. And we know how many of the 1800 + have been boosted in IOM. If you are saying S African data can be equated to the situation in IOM so decisions can be made, then great.

More UK data than SA for applicability to here. Omicron has been circulating in the UK for over a month officially, probably several months unofficially, no spike in hospitalisation rate.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, quilp said:

Ah Well now you see, I did this last year, with my own hospital standard surgical mask under the ffp3. The guy at the desk saw me unwrap them both as new and fit them outside the revolving-door. When I entered he wanted the surgical mask removed and replaced with one he had. The exact same surgical mask. I didn't argue then either. He said nothing when I put the ffp3 on over the one he'd given me.

I did post about the experience earlier-on in the thread. And my main thrust is about hospital staff not being offered the most effective protection.

I remember that post, now you mention it. 

Regarding HCWs not being offered the best possible protection, I agree. However if HCWs were wearing better masks than the ones they're handing out to and insisting the public wear, there'd be an (expensive) outcry. Can't have that, can we.  

• Like 1