IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It would be a bit of a silly assumption that such a massive piece of work could be done over the holidays. Don’t believe what your hear on here.  Installing filtration systems in schools (that would actually have any effect) would be an enormous and costly undertaking. Its also something that isn't even proven yet. 

It would be completely pointless and massively expensive both to install and to run.

• Haha 2

Herself and I have been subject to almost a week of what might be termed classic covid symptoms which worsened Thursday and Friday. One of our nephews, asymptomatic, tested positive on boxing day. He visited us for over an hour xmas day, a day full of jollity, closeness and laughter. He was less than a metre from us both most of the time. His parents and 2 siblings (twins aged 13, one of whom is worse than his sister) tested positive also, with only their Da showing symptoms.

So we tested every day as our symptoms worsened- sore-ish throat, intermittent dry cough, headache, joint pain, snotsville and tiredness. Each time the tests produced a negative result. Today was no exception, negative results for us both at 8am and to be sure (because I was quietly convinced we MUST have caught covid), we tested again just now. Same negative results.

Seems obvious we have been/are suffering the effects of a common cold and as of today we've both improved slightly.

Confusing. I'm sure we're not alone in this scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an unpopular opinion on the issue of 'ventilation in schools'.

If it works as well as their proponents claim then not only would it massively reduce transmission of SARS-Cov-2 but also of everything else. I would have hoped that everyone had figured out that an immunity deficit to all of the respiratory viruses we regularly encounter would actually be a very bad thing. Wrighty mentioned a respiratory panel test before, imagine if we conducted them on all kids every month for a couple of years, people would completely freak if they knew just how infected their kids were how often and by what. It is a completely necessary part of life, and suppressing it may well cause problems further down the line.

Also, the school sending an email with DESC advice saying the kids can wear coats in class if its cold is bonkers, especially when the Public Health tweet the following two days later 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Herself and I have been subject to almost a week of what might be termed classic covid symptoms which worsened Thursday and Friday. One of our nephews, asymptomatic, tested positive on boxing day. He visited us for over an hour xmas day, a day full of jollity, closeness and laughter. He was less than a metre from us both most of the time. His parents and 2 siblings (twins aged 13, one of whom is worse than his sister) tested positive also, with only their Da showing symptoms.

So we tested every day as our symptoms worsened- sore-ish throat, intermittent dry cough, headache, joint pain, snotsville and tiredness. Each time the tests produced a negative result. Today was no exception, negative results for us both at 8am and to be sure (because I was quietly convinced we MUST have caught covid), we tested again just now. Same negative results.

Seems obvious we have been/are suffering the effects of a common cold and as of today we've both improved slightly.

Sure you won’t do it.  But a throat swab would be interesting.

Arent you supposed to go for a PCR with symptoms  anyway?

3 more positive cases among friends today. From my vantage point it looks like Omicron is going to spread through the population at this point whether we would prefer it to or not. Fingers crossed the signs stay the same as they are now in terms of severity and we can just be done with this whole thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

In those circumstances where you display symptoms, know you're a close contact but get negative a LFT you can book a PCR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

"this is a very discriminatory virus. Some people are much more at risk from it than others. People over 75 are an astonishing 10,000 times more at risk than those who are under 15"

This was known 20 months ago but never stopped the idiotic 'lockdown' mentality, that is still rampant in deranged politicians world-wide, from subjugating the mass of the population to disproportionate restrictions against miniscule risk. 

It is (slightly) encouraging that our own parish council is displaying a modicum of common sense at present.

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Arent you supposed to go for a PCR with symptoms anyway?

Well, you tell me, what would you have done? Are we obliged to have a PCR? And isn't a PCR now only required if travelling off-Island? I plumped for us both staying in and we isolated. We didn't need to leave the house for anything so stayed home even though we were continually testing negative via LFD. One either has confidence in the devices or not, we're told the test-kits are +90% accurate so that was my guide.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Well, you tell me, what would you have done? Are we obliged to have a PCR? And isn't a PCR now only required if travelling off-Island? I plumped for us both staying in and we isolated. We didn't need to leave the house for anything so stayed home even though we were continually testing negative via LFD. One either has confidence in the devices or not, we're told the test-kits are +90% accurate so that was my guide.

If you are testing -ve with LFT then it's very unlikely you have the covid virus. There are colds and viral bronchitis doing the rounds big time. 

I'm not a doctor but this is what the Dr told the missus last week as she is in the same situation. 

So, no, you are not alone. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

You should have confidence in the devices. The world has come to realise this. That's why there has been a sea change in their perceived value. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

They’re only doing PCRs for travel now aren’t they?!

No.  If you have symptoms and LFT is negative you are encouraged to book a PCR 

PCR Testing and results

You can still request a PCR test when you:

• are requested to for hospital treatment off island
  • are symptomatic, but have returned a negative LFT; or
  • require proof of a negative test result to satisfy the entry requirements for international travel
Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Your good self and my lovely friend seem to be following the same path. She’s still negative in day seven but feels physically fine. She’s desperate to get out (she’s a nature kind of girl). Yesterday she ran three miles in her back garden just for exercise. I would say her mental health is suffering far more than her physical strength right now. I’m currently baking her some croissants and we’re going to share a distanced chat across the back fence but truly she just wants to get out and run or ride her bike. Seven days isolation when you’re feeling well is a long time to be cooped up when you’re an outdoors person. 

Let’s hope you both show negative soon. 

Sorry,  Rox, may have missed something, but why is she isolating if still negative on day seven? 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If you are testing -ve with LFT then it's very unlikely you have the covid virus. There are colds and viral bronchitis doing the rounds big time. 

I'm not a doctor but this is what the Dr told the missus last week as she is in the same situation. 

So, no, you are not alone. 

This was my reasoning. 

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

No

PCR Testing and results

You can still request a PCR test when you:

• are requested to for hospital treatment off island
  • are symptomatic, but have returned a negative LFT; or
  • require proof of a negative test result to satisfy the entry requirements for international travel

So it's up to an individual to 'request' a PCR for confirmation and not obligatory. We're being encouraged now to look after ourselves and be responsible, that's enough for me.

Amen.

• Haha 1