IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

This was my reasoning. 

So it's up to an individual to 'request' a PCR for confirmation and not obligatory. We're being encouraged now to look after ourselves and be responsible, that's enough for me.

Amen.

Same as we are only being encouraged to do LFTs.  What is the point of doing one part of the guidance if you won’t do the other.

Seems a bit hypocritical given other pos yes but I have nothing further today on the matter as I am sure all those who pile on anyone not following the advice to the letter will be song soon.

You both really book a PCR though, ten days iso if positive

Edited by Ramseyboi

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

This was my reasoning. 

So it's up to an individual to 'request' a PCR for confirmation and not obligatory. We're being encouraged now to look after ourselves and be responsible, that's enough for me.

Amen.

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Same as we are only being encouraged to do LFTs.  What is the point of doing one part of the guidance if you won’t do the other.

Seems a bit hypocritical given other pos yes but I have nothing further today on the matter.

It's a point certainly. I am not discouraging @quilp but merely pointing out that his situation is not unusual. I don't think he is being hypocritical though. He is taking adequate precautions as well as seeing a -ve LFTs. His symptoms do not sound like Covid to me (although that's very subjective of course). Our Covid family member ran a high fever for 3 days. Rest of us had a bad cough and the missus still has it. Phlegm city central. 

6 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

It is (slightly) encouraging that our own parish council is displaying a modicum of common sense at present.

They've made some positive moves.

The situation of everyone testing positive and then having to go to the grandstand was obviously silly, some of us had been pointing that out for ages and it was nice to have confirmation when it was revealed that ~90% of people getting a PCR already knew they had covid over a 3 month period. There should have been a way to submit a positive LFD for months. PCR may be gold standard but the evidence shows that LFDs are good enough.

The two negs to end isolation is also a progressive step. It probably doesn't go far enough, but people are going to need fully deprogramming to relax that much further.

The booster program has been a wild success. It's pretty tough for me to say well done to our government for anything, but they've handled that well. On a personal note, I was delighted to get mine at the Castletown surgery, whoever made that possible is a star, I dislike going to Douglas intensely.

Getting public health interventions out of our lives completely is the next step. It is completely obvious to anyone with a working brain that the mask situation is completely useless. They're being worn widely all over the place, with the same results. Drop them for society. If you are still worried about catching covid buy yourself the best mask you can for that, but expecting everyone else to wear one when you've been triple vaxxed is too far. 

Might be a tough couple of weeks coming up for the health service (again), that's a hefty rise in positive tests we've had, there will be some lag for a few more people to take a trip to the hospital coming up. But with around 2000 active cases and less than 10 in hospital the only possible conclusion is that vaccines are great and everything else is unnecessary noise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It is completely obvious to anyone with a working brain that the mask situation is completely useless. They're being worn widely all over the place, with the same results.

What makes you think it's the same results? We haven't tried widespread not-mask-wearing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

What makes you think it's the same results? We haven't tried widespread not-mask-wearing.

We've not really tried mask wearing properly. Those disposable surgical masks really aren't much protection,  much less are the cloth masks that people endlessly reuse, as for those wearing snoods...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They've made some positive moves.

The situation of everyone testing positive and then having to go to the grandstand was obviously silly, some of us had been pointing that out for ages and it was nice to have confirmation when it was revealed that ~90% of people getting a PCR already knew they had covid over a 3 month period. There should have been a way to submit a positive LFD for months. PCR may be gold standard but the evidence shows that LFDs are good enough.

The two negs to end isolation is also a progressive step. It probably doesn't go far enough, but people are going to need fully deprogramming to relax that much further.

The booster program has been a wild success. It's pretty tough for me to say well done to our government for anything, but they've handled that well. On a personal note, I was delighted to get mine at the Castletown surgery, whoever made that possible is a star, I dislike going to Douglas intensely.

Getting public health interventions out of our lives completely is the next step. It is completely obvious to anyone with a working brain that the mask situation is completely useless. They're being worn widely all over the place, with the same results. Drop them for society. If you are still worried about catching covid buy yourself the best mask you can for that, but expecting everyone else to wear one when you've been triple vaxxed is too far. 

Might be a tough couple of weeks coming up for the health service (again), that's a hefty rise in positive tests we've had, there will be some lag for a few more people to take a trip to the hospital coming up. But with around 2000 active cases and less than 10 in hospital the only possible conclusion is that vaccines are great and everything else is unnecessary noise.

Agreed.  How I have caught it is a mystery, I have not been in any pubs or restaurants in the last couple of weeks and any contacts I have had, family and friends, have all tested negative and had been in domestic settings.   The only public places I have been are shops and I have masked up every time. 

The next step is to relax the isolation rules, if you are not symptomatic you can go out and about but not in indoors settings - work, homes  shops, pubs etc - and must socially distance and mask.  That would allow a modicum of normality while keeping away from the general population. 

The next step would be even further relaxation for asymptomatic or mild symptoms.  

It is difficult to make those decisions and when, I understand that, but the foot has to come off the pedal. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You should have confidence in the devices. The world has come to realise this. That's why there has been a sea change in their perceived value. 

When they are positive you almost certainly have COVID but when you are negative and have symptoms there's only a 50/50 chance they are accurate.

Https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/15/what-is-lateral-flow-covid-test-how-accurate

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I didn't have to wear one at work until early December. Since then our cases have rocketed. 

They've also been shooting up everywhere, especially in European countries which regardless of what restrictions are in place. Full mask mandates, vax passes, curfews, cases up 1000% in a month. 

Personally I feel that mask mandates are more likely to cause a lockdown, because when they don't work the answer is always to double down, go further. Oh, and it is the public FAULT for not wearing them tight enough.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

I didn't have to wear one at work until early December. Since then our cases have rocketed. 

They've also been shooting up everywhere, especially in European countries which regardless of what restrictions are in place. Full mask mandates, vax passes, curfews, cases up 1000% in a month. 

Personally I feel that mask mandates are more likely to cause a lockdown, because when they don't work the answer is always to double down, go further. Oh, and it is the public FAULT for not wearing them tight enough.

Sure but it's not a controlled environment - there are lots of other changes in the same timeframe that will outweigh the effect of mask mandating. That doesn't guarantee that removing the mask requirement won't make things substantially worse.

• Like 1

Just now, HeliX said:

Sure but it's not a controlled environment - there are lots of other changes in the same timeframe that will outweigh the effect of mask mandating. That doesn't guarantee that removing the mask requirement won't make things substantially worse.

It would make things substantially better.

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It seems everyone is getting this, I can't see there being another strain as infectious as this so hopefully this is coming to an end and if the politicians hold their nerve come spring this will be over

I'm not an expert but I can see another new strain coming this year which will kill everybody in the world. 

• Haha 3