IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, rachomics said:

Really? What else? Feel free to elaborate. 

Well , I don’t know where to start. Nicer hotels , nicer beaches , better pubs and night life , better shops , better restaurants - and more of all. But apart from that it’s crap , you’re right.

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

there would be little point doing anything here with an eye to tourism.

Who has suggested IOM tourism? People need to get away for family reasons and compassionate grounds etc. it’s got nothing to go with tourism has it? The Jersey system just shows that free (ish) movement is possible where people want it. As I have said it’s clear the strategy here is to trap people here so they can’t go away and spend money somewhere else. It’s got absolutely nothing to do with taking a risk based approach to covid. 

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Well , I don’t know where to start. Nicer hotels , nicer beaches , better pubs and night life , better shops , better restaurants - and more of all. But apart from that it’s crap , you’re right.

So all the things that an island with a significant tourism industry needs? Like I said, tourism is a big part of their economy. It isn't a big part of ours. 

• Like 2

Just now, rachomics said:

So all the things that an island with a significant tourism industry needs? Like I said, tourism is a big part of their economy. It isn't a big part of ours. 

Nor likely to be either. That moment passed once finance came along. Government sold their/our souls to the devil...

1 minute ago, rachomics said:

Well not really. Jersey has a huge international business centre that needs serviced by these things , much larger than here. And a very large number of HNWI’s for whom such things are a lifestyle choice. Yes tourism plays a part but the real wealth comes from the other factors. Let’s face it , you have cash like a lot so where you going to go - Douglas or St Helier. We used to call it the chief executive wife’s call! Am I allowed to say that these days.

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Nor likely to be either. That moment passed once finance came along. Government sold their/our souls to the devil...

It was the other way around for the most part. Tourism died and, thank goodness, finance then gaming then the new economy picked up some of the slack.

On the plus side unemployed deck-chair attendants don't have to go to Lincolnshire to pick turnips in the winter any longer.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The scottish government health minister says the tests are a bit rubbish. These tests are being used to make major decisions and they're a bit rubbish. You couldn't make this up.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/6027823/coronavirus-scotland-jason-leitch-test-rubbish/?utm_source=pushly

The tests in the UK might be a bit rubbish because they're being done by private companies with little accreditation after swabbing done by people with little training (or self-swabbing which is worse). Compare that to the IoM where the testing includes an actual check for human RNA to make sure that the swabbing was done correctly and the test is sensitive enough to detect 5 copies of the virus on the swab. We're doing pretty well for testing compared to the UK and beyond. But I don't expect anyone to believe me, clearly I know nothing (!)

To add some biology to that, there is literally no way to know whether detected viral RNA is "dead" or "alive" because viruses are neither. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2