IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To be fair, many people avoided hospitals, so much so that there were appeals to still go if you needed emergency treatment. 

There were lots of things that were done wrong (and discussed on here at the time), but you can't say that those were because of anti-Covid precautions in general, just bad messaging and details. 

What worries me is that so little seems to have been learned and everything seems to have divided into unreflective self-congratulation on one side and belief that we should have just ignored it and it would go away on the other.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There were lots of things that were done wrong (and discussed on here at the time), but you can't say that those were because of anti-Covid precautions in general, just bad messaging and details. 

What worries me is that so little seems to have been learned and everything seems to have divided into unreflective self-congratulation on one side and belief that we should have just ignored it and it would go away on the other.

But that doesn't mean that Cambon's post made no sense.  People weren't going to A&E, their GP or routine appointments. 

In the latter category, some may have been cancelled, but there were many missed appointments because no one wanted to either bother the medics or risk going into a hospital where Covid was certainly present. 

The messaging may have been to blame, but the messaging was as much a part of the measures as the measures themselves. 

A month or so ago, there was a news item about some 50k cancer patients who had not had treatment, add to that heart and other complaints, and it looks like there is a huge backlog of ailments that will carry fatalities. 

Many of us said this was likely more than a year ago and I don't think within the general population there is the polarisation you think of.  I think most people,  myself included, were concerned about the cure being worse than the thing they were seeking to cure. 

It was, and is, a hard one  but there you go. Best not turn it into who was right and who was wrong debate,  because in a way everyone was both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

This makes no sense at all.  Those who need emergency care were treated the same whatever their Covid status (it just makes things more complicated).  Those with longer term issues won't be affected by a few days delay because they test positive.

But of course, over the last two years Covid has had an effect on the treatment of all sorts of other conditions and diseases.  But how could that have been altered if somehow the health service had ignored Covid?  Would people have no longer caught it and needed treatment?   Without precautionary measures even more would have died, there would have been even more pressure on the health service and those wanting other treatment would have been even less likely to get it.

Well right now there’d be fewer staff off isolating and thus available to carry out routine healthcare.  I’m one of them.

It is complex, and people who said “ignore covid and get on with it” were wrong. But equally, the ones who are still saying “covid will kill us all, stay indoors forever etc” are wrong too, especially now when I for one think it’s all but done, at least once this current wave has peaked. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, opusManx said:

Just a silly non sequitur observation.

I remember visiting Japan in 2016 and seeing many on the subway surgical-type masks. My friend (a Japanese resident) and I thought it was silly. And now, here we are. I bet they had a few moments of smug satisfaction when mask recommendations went global. Maybe we'll all end up wearing the proverbial tinfoil hat too one day. 😄

We generally think it is wrong to pass on a sexual disease but as a society in the west we generally have been quire happy to infect others with colds etc. Why as a society do we think we should try and not pass on one form of infection but not others? My point is that maybe if there is a simple step we can take that might reduce the spread of an infection that really does not disrupt our lives maybe it is something a considerate society should do. 50+ years ago or so it was something as a society we probably did to an extent as handkerchiefs were common place and people coughed and sneezed into them so restricting the spread. Now at best it is a half arsed attempt to put a hand over a mouth at best. being used 

I am too young to remember the original "Coughs and sneezes spread disease" health campaigns which really were just a call for showing consideration to others, but apparently even then there were complaints of the "nanny state"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FookADoodleDoo said:

And I can say that there are a lot of people who have been counting down the days for  her true colours to be exposed. This is only a snippet of this woman's dangerous personality & if she reads this, she will know exactly what I am talking about. 

I actually read one of your previous posts about her allegedly trying to destroy peoples private lives if they cross her. I’d be interested to know more. After the display yesterday I’m sure there’s little she wouldn’t stoop to to get her way. 

Edited by Paulos The Great
Criticism removed.
  • Like 1