IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

That would be very much an edge case.

Not really many employers don’t have the capacity to facilitate. The teachers are now complaining about the exact same thing. They technically can’t go away as they can’t then get 14 days at home to self isolate on return. 

Just now, Southfork said:

Not really many employers don’t have the capacity to facilitate. The teachers are now complaining about the exact same thing. They technically can’t go away as they can’t then get 14 days at home to self isolate on return. 

Most people don't need to go away right now to visit relatives. Unless for specifically compassionate extraordinary reasons. In which case most employers will, of course, be flexible.

Most people are quite capable of Skyping their granny.

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Most people don't need to go away right now to visit relatives. Unless for specifically compassionate extraordinary reasons. In which case most employers will, of course, be flexible.

A lot of people do need to go away (and come here). Maybe you’re heartless or detached enough to have a last Skype with your cancer riddled granny but most people aren’t. They have very valid reasons for wanting to maintain physical ties with the people that are important to them. I’ve heard so many stories over lockdown of Manx relatives in the UK unable to comfort family members in their final days, can’t go to funerals, can’t say their last goodbyes, can’t do all the normal, kind, compassionate, things we’d all want to do if we were in the same position. 

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

As you’ve admitted you don’t have kids , so no grandkids so to easy for you to be an uncaring twat!

Edited by Banker

4 minutes ago, Southfork said:

A lot of people do need to go away (and come here). Maybe you’re heartless or detached enough to have a last Skype with your cancer riddled granny but most people aren’t. They have very valid reasons for wanting to maintain physical ties with the people that are important to them. I’ve heard so many stories over lockdown of Manx relatives in the UK unable to comfort family members in their final days, can’t go to funerals, can’t say their last goodbyes, can’t do all the normal, kind, compassionate, things we’d all want to do if we were in the same position. 

Pongo - AKA the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz. He has form on this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

As you’ve admitted you don’t have kids

No. I reposnded to you dull line of irrelevant questioning by replying with equally stupid made-up answers. With hindsight I should have simply said that it was 100% irrelevant and none of your business.

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

so no grandkids so to easy for you to be an uncaring twat!

There is nothing uncaring about wanting people to be safe from illness. Most normals accept that. It's really only a self-entitled minority moaning about being inconvenienced.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, pongo said:

Most people are quite capable of Skyping their granny

but not all grannies or grandads are capable of Skyping back.  Whilst a large percentage of 'olds' are tech savvy, a minority are not; I don't think that my parents would even know what Skype is.

35 minutes ago, rachomics said:

The tests in the UK might be a bit rubbish because they're being done by private companies with little accreditation after swabbing done by people with little training (or self-swabbing which is worse). Compare that to the IoM where the testing includes an actual check for human RNA to make sure that the swabbing was done correctly and the test is sensitive enough to detect 5 copies of the virus on the swab. We're doing pretty well for testing compared to the UK and beyond. But I don't expect anyone to believe me, clearly I know nothing (!)

To add some biology to that, there is literally no way to know whether detected viral RNA is "dead" or "alive" because viruses are neither. 

But then manx decisions are being made on the back of ratio of infected which these rubbish tests are providing. It doesnt matter if a manx test is 100% accurate and we detect every person with covid if the uk are having positive tests which arent reliable.

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

But then manx decisions are being made on the back of ratio of infected which these rubbish tests are providing. It doesnt matter if a manx test is 100% accurate and we detect every person with covid if the uk are having positive tests which arent reliable.

See Chris Thomas questions for Howie next week 

43 minutes ago, rachomics said:

So all the things that an island with a significant tourism industry needs? Like I said, tourism is a big part of their economy. It isn't a big part of ours. 

One last thought. Why do you think we don’t have a significant tourist industry?  There are two answers. One that the island is crap  ( not true ) , second that the Gov dept promoting tourism is crap ( clearly not as we can’t criticize our Gov - not allowed ). We buy the excuse that they have better weather and ignore the years of incompetence and neglect. Three big hotels up for sale ( and about 6 smaller ones ) says it all. I don’t blame the hotels as they have tried their utmost and been blighted by years of government incompetence. I’d be reluctant to let any of them run a bath ( the Gov that is not the hotel owners all of which are superbly run places ).

• Like 1