IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

How naive you both are!

PS I am not a teacher and I would not want to be one at the moment

Naive? I’ve been told first hand exactly what’s going on, by one of the exact whining twats who’ll never be happy as a school teacher because they’re in it for all the wrong reasons.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

There's a lot of it about!!!

Certainly is. But as usual there is a balance to be struck, but given that both "sides" are pretty adamant in it being all or nothing for their particular side, nobody will ever be happy.

• Like 1

Just now, Banker said:

Do you suggest allowing Covid positive staff treating clinical vulnerable patients in hospital & care homes when catching the virus will probably kill them?

Which virus? Like, any of the other ~200 respiratory viruses can knock off the elderly or CEV people at any time. This is NOW one of those too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Naive? I’ve been told first hand exactly what’s going on, by one of the exact whining twats who’ll never be happy as a school teacher because they’re in it for all the wrong reasons.

I have to ask what reason they bothered doing a degree and/or PCGE/QTS for if not the right reasons? It's not like there's money, glory or a pleasant working environment in teaching unless you absolutely love teaching.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Which virus? Like, any of the other ~200 respiratory viruses can knock off the elderly or CEV people at any time. This is NOW one of those too.

A bit more transmissible than the average, but yes to a vaccinated 65+ the risk from covid (at least in terms of short-term mortality) is much lower than flu.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Well I wouldn’t expect any staff to be treating my elderly mother if they were AWARE they had any virus 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have just come out of 8 days isolation.  The other occupant hasn't tested positive.  Mind you, when they had it in July, neither did I.

No idea where I got it, but I did.  I reported the positive LFT and isolated.  It made no difference to my job as I work from home anyway (and started a new job).  

So, what is your analysis of that? Am I workshy, angling for a bit of time off? 

You, on the other hand, have tested positive and applied your own rules.  My analysis of that? 

Well, it would be unkind. 

I have never tested positive using the same test you did.

What is your analysis of that?  Maybe you other occupant would have tested positive if they had ventured beyond a nasal swab? If no one else is going the extra mile why should I?

• Confused 1

Just now, HeliX said:

A bit more transmissible than the average

See, I'm really not convinced that's true. What do you think would happen if we had a home test you could take for a whole host of viruses, or we mass tested for other stuff? Say we tested all secondary school kids in Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec? All of them would have a host of viruses, and collect enough data you'd see the waves. You'd get Rhinovirus really high one month, a coronavirus the next etc. Viruses multiply and transmit like crazy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

See, I'm really not convinced that's true. What do you think would happen if we had a home test you could take for a whole host of viruses, or we mass tested for other stuff? Say we tested all secondary school kids in Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec? All of them would have a host of viruses, and collect enough data you'd see the waves. You'd get Rhinovirus really high one month, a coronavirus the next etc. Viruses multiply and transmit like crazy. 

There may be something in that, but even when we were only testing symptomatic people and only with pcr the R value was substantially higher than flu. 

Just now, HeliX said:

I have to ask what reason they bothered doing a degree and/or PCGE/QTS for if not the right reasons? It's not like there's money, glory or a pleasant working environment in teaching unless you absolutely love teaching.

They just feel a bit trapped to be honest, they spent a lot of time/money to get where they have and had the right intentions initially of helping kids etc but with every year that passes they seem to hate their job that little bit more. I think when their own kids have finished school they’ll look for something else but it’s convenient being term time and they wouldn’t be able to earn that sort of money elsewhere, I bet in truth they’ll probably see it through to retirement!

• Like 1

So, shorty before Christmas, I heard Alf say that anyone arriving on IoM had to take a LFT within 12 hours, and then One a day for 7 days, and report the results. However, there is nothing on IOMG website that displays easily from google, etc. Any thoughts?  

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There may be something in that, but even when we were only testing symptomatic people and only with pcr the R value was substantially higher than flu. 

Again, I'm not entirely sure that's correct. A bit higher than flu sure - partly cos people stay in with flu - but numerous other viruses that cause the similar symptoms have a R0 a bit higher than flu. Not loads higher, we aren't talking measles speed here, but a bit.