IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Eldest daughters birthday weekend- 18th cancelled last year by the 2 week lockdown - 30 kids 19 - 21 year olds at ours last night all Lateral negative before they came round- we made ourselves scarce out for food and drinks came home 11ish to party in full swing- all off to town at 12.30 in minibus x 2 all good tidied up no damage.

fast forward 

11.00am hungover child tests positive- precaution test as seeing grandparent for presents who is currently having Radio Therapy - “Doing the right thing” I believe.

Good luck tracing the above - my house despite best intentions and precautions could spike the graph 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

"We now need to manage disease, not virus spread"

I read the article yesterday evening and I would hope that the majority would agree with much of what is said as a matter of principle. The question is really at what point do you flip to just basically living with it. Eighteen months ago I expect fairly few were saying just live with it but now we have vaccines, better treatment etc many will be. 

With regard to the above sentence I believe we should try and do both. Whether it is a minor cold to something far more serious surely it is better to limit the spread of a virus as well as manage the disease that it causes. A cold is unlikely to kill me but I would prefer not to have one so if some basic measures which really will not impact on anybody why not continue them. 

1 minute ago, Lost Login said:

I read the article yesterday evening and I would hope that the majority would agree with much of what is said as a matter of principle. The question is really at what point do you flip to just basically living with it. Eighteen months ago I expect fairly few were saying just live with it but now we have vaccines, better treatment etc many will be. 

With regard to the above sentence I believe we should try and do both. Whether it is a minor cold to something far more serious surely it is better to limit the spread of a virus as well as manage the disease that it causes. A cold is unlikely to kill me but I would prefer not to have one so if some basic measures which really will not impact on anybody why not continue them. 

I don't think there can be a flip, its got to be a gradual process, that's why steps like dropping the confirmatory PCR and early exit from isolation are good moves, a stepping stone. 

I also don't think there is much point in trying to suppress, apart from paying people to stay home if they're sick. Almost two years to come up with an 'isolation payment'. and while I know they'd adjusted the first week of sick pay a few months back, its still fucking hopeless. That's because no one in charge knows what it is like to live on £84 pw, and those who call loudest for restrictions are the middle classes who give not one single shit about the supermarket workers or their delivery drivers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Eldest daughters birthday weekend- 18th cancelled last year by the 2 week lockdown - 30 kids 19 - 21 year olds at ours last night all Lateral negative before they came round- we made ourselves scarce out for food and drinks came home 11ish to party in full swing- all off to town at 12.30 in minibus x 2 all good tidied up no damage.

fast forward 

11.00am hungover child tests positive- precaution test as seeing grandparent for presents who is currently having Radio Therapy - “Doing the right thing” I believe.

Good luck tracing the above - my house despite best intentions and precautions could spike the graph 

That’s a bugger but at least the vulnerable grandparents will be protected, no doubt you will be accused of hosting a super spreader event 😂

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

The thing is that we need to be exposed to infections to build resistance.   No one wants to be infected by anything, but we also got to build and maintain our natural immune system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Yes there is a difference - vaccines give you just a little bit of the virus to fight off, so when you get an infection there is a much broader immune response. In addition, the cellular immune response results in a whole load of  cytokines (chemicals which signal to other cells) being produced which stimulate other bits of the immune system to develop memory. 

I’ve thought from the start that the best immunity will be from a vaccine (giving a limited response, but stopping you dying) followed by an infection (to broaden the response and generate immune memory). That’s where many of us are right now. 

so if you have had covid whilst unvaccinated , is there any point at all to being vaccinated after the fact ?  ( thinking of the well informed doctor that had words with Sajid Javid who knew better )     Sajid Ashie ?

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

so if you have had covid whilst unvaccinated , is there any point at all to being vaccinated after the fact ?  ( thinking of the well informed doctor that had words with Sajid Javid who knew better )     Sajid Ashie ?

It’s a valid question. I think being vaxxed after being infected will act like an immune boost, so it’s not an unreasonable thing to do. But I also think that rules stating you need to be vaccinated to work somewhere could be extended to say ‘vaccinated or recovered from proven infection’. 

In my own case, I was fully vaxxed in January last year, boosted September, had covid last week.  I don’t see there’s much need for me to have any more vaccines, unless we end up like flu with annual boosters against likely variants. Even then it’s probably unnecessary for me. 

• Like 1